Author Topic: Battle Over Germany patch  (Read 7951 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Battle Over Germany patch
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Why a hawk? I dont get it?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
The Eagle/Hawk patch is great as is. How I see it is very symbolic. You have the Bird (plane) associated with Germany above the Bird(plane yet again) associated with the US basically as if US Bombers/ German Fighters. The right/left is good for the East/West relationship between the two locations, Also the countries height relationship is good because the only American things in this scenario were the planes over Germany. Only thing I'd change would be to swab the Eagle/Hawk's colors with each other since there is no blue with germany's colors.

Hawks do not represent German planes. I dont understand where that is coming from. The E/W thing is good I reckon. The Allied symbol being on top can signify that in the initial engagement they are almost always above us. But to be fair, if you put the allies on the bottom it would also be correct for it would signify them running after a very frantic Split S.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
I'm not a fan of the birds. Too random. I'm also not too much a fan of the "4 quarters" split since it seems to have been done. Maybe not in every patch, but in a number of designs that weren't accepted on the forum review, it's a very common theme.

I don't know.. It's middle of the road for me (neither like nor hate) but tilted towards dislike more than like.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Can we put a bomber or P51 and a German fighter silhouette in place of the birds/bombs?  

And like Krusty said, maybe split it in the center with an upside down T  Allied Fighter one side and Buff the other? 2 Axis on the bottom.

Another thought, make a bomber and fighter HO Bottom and Emblems top.

I am not a designer.

|  |      Axis       |  |
      |  |    Fighters   |  |
       |   \_________/   |
        \____________ /

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »
That gives me a different idea... I'll play around in a few days with it

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »
Why a hawk? I dont get it?

Well I'll tell ya so you do :)

Way back when I was a kid, I built my first 109 model.  It was a 109F flown by Werner Molders.  The insignia on the nose was a Hawk from JG51.  Way back when I was a kid and built my first P51 model, it was a 51B flown by Don Gentile and it had a boxing Eagle on it.

I didn't want to play favorites and just go with those two groups or specifically those insignia, so I went with a Hawk and and Eagle.  So basically it was my putting a bit of my own history into the patch while staying accurate to a LW symbol and a USAAF symbol without pointing out either unit.  Eagles fighting Eagles didn't work for me.

I also didn't put a silhouette of a 51 or a 109 or a B17 etc on the patch as that also would seem to be playing favorites so I went with the fuselage insignia as it covers all the birds involved.
 In all honesty I did it quick just to be an example.  I did the DGS patch and didn't want to replicate it, but used it as a basis since it also was the bomber war over Europe.  If anyone else wants to jump in, so be it :)

Btw I was sorely tempted to go with the JG51 Weeping Pelican at one point :)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:58:05 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 09:24:55 AM »

Btw I was sorely tempted to go with the JG51 Weeping Pelican at one point :)

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that's funny!  :)  I really like your designs, just had a thought but lack the skills to do anything about it on my own!   :(

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 03:33:31 AM »
Thanks to K-KEN I have the patch page saved.

Now stop yer bickering and get a patch designed.  :)
I am useless at designing such things so I will just have to watch your valued efforts.  :cheers:
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Now stop yer bickering

Don't you realize where you are?   :rofl  It's not bickering, it's just family being family.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
Let me know when there ready i would like to donate for two of them
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
While I can't draw, I hope this idea is good enough for someone to put a rough draft together.
I have in mind a black ring outside saying 'Battle Over Germany 2011 AH Scenerio.' The inner portion/circle would have a B-24 pictured in a front profile with wings just beginning to encroach on the outer ring. Behind the 24' would be an image of Germany and her boarders, as if the b24 was breaking through. Behind Germany, the background would be split equally with red white and blue covering one half, and half of the German cross featured for the other. I believe a vertical split is best. All Around the 24 would be Luft planes all nose in on the 24 to represent an attack on her as she tries to escape German Airspace.

As for the finer details.. I dunno, but I hope this idea is liked.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »
While I can't draw, I hope this idea is good enough for someone to put a rough draft together.
I have in mind a black ring outside saying 'Battle Over Germany 2011 AH Scenerio.' The inner portion/circle would have a B-24 pictured in a front profile with wings just beginning to encroach on the outer ring. Behind the 24' would be an image of Germany and her boarders, as if the b24 was breaking through. Behind Germany, the background would be split equally with red white and blue covering one half, and half of the German cross featured for the other. I believe a vertical split is best. All Around the 24 would be Luft planes all nose in on the 24 to represent an attack on her as she tries to escape German Airspace.

As for the finer details.. I dunno, but I hope this idea is liked.

I'm picturing this in my small brain, and it looks AWESOME!
Strokes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Everything up until "all around the B-24" sounds like a good patch. Putting other smaller planes around it won't work. The level of detail and resolution isn't available to pull that off. However, even without that it might make a decent design.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »
Someone should do the art thing and give us a visual of that Krusty.

I can barely do stick figures.. this will require a bit more talent.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
Did anyone ever get this figured out??????

I would like one. Is this the right thread?
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54