Author Topic: Gimme strat to sink my teeth into with me shiney b29. (Aircraft Factory)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Simple formula on the city would do it - Perk Price = 200% Normal - (% that City Strats are Up). 

This game desperately needs a real strat system so that bombers have something else to do besides blowing up hangers and sinking the CV endlessly.  I'd also like to see the city strat have an effect on ENY - add 1 for each 10% that the city is down, and start the count from 0.  So no ENY effect until the city hits 50% down, but the next 50% adds 5 to the ENY regardless of the number of people in the country.  Not a huge hit, but bombing the City to rubble has an effect, and letting your City get bombed below 50% will keep you out of the uber rides until the city rebuilds. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
If base taking is the largest scale event next to win the war focus dejour in our current encarnation. And we see how well that works(unapposed hoard centric) in the face of the diverse playing interests around the map. How would you integrally implemented strat, zones and support processes so as not to become a Hoard Addict's overdose and killing of the golden crack goose?

When you ask for a system by which a minority can efficiently control the out come for the majority because as is, our focus of interests are as diffused as fly's on a dung heap. "Tyranny of the Minority" becomes the coin of the relm and stopping them the devolution of the game. What in contrast to your request do you offer to the country centric minorities who might give a watermelon to rapidly and just as efficiently put down the tyranny by the minority? Other wise as you have deduced, by yourself you could single handedly become that tyrannical minority with a box of B29's.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TEXICAN

• Copper Member
+100 to anything that makes the strats worth hitting.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Quite simply the best strategic supply idea was what they had in Fighter Ace in their Territorial War arena back in FA2-FA3 (last time I played it). There were no land battles but what you had was a way to trigger a base attack by ground forces that were local to your front. You go out and start pounding on a base and then the ground attack got triggered if the defenses and the hangars at the bases were below a certain level. THEN the team that had their base triggered had to go out and run strikes on the incoming ground units while their own resupply trains made runs up from the big supply bases back in the rear. IF you knocked down ammo, fuel and hangars then the base not only had reduced fuel and ammo but also reduced availability of aircraft at that base. UNTIL the resupply trains arrived. Now if your factories were hit in the rear then all manner of bad things started being effected at all front line bases.

IF the other team captured the base that was triggered then they had to resupply by convoy until you captured a railroad depot (done in the same manner as a base if I recall correctly) and then you got supplies via train. Otherwise the bad guys just searched for truck convoys and tanks. Made for some great fun and more than one way to fight.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
I think it would be nice if the city (which affects factory/HQ rebuild times only) had an effect on the power of field resupply items being dropped by players.

if the city was 100% destroyed perhaps the supplies being dropped from a c47 afflicted with the 100% destroyed city debuff would have their supplies be 100% ineffective? an empty box as it were.

It sounds like you're asking for a strat system that is very similiar, if not the same, as the strat system that was in AW.  I have always thought that AW's strat system, with a little tweak here and there, would work great in AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Perhaps the AVAILABILITY of field supplies and vehicle supplies could be limited by the strats as well.  If the City is down, then there are no field supplies or vehicle supplies available in that region for a period of time.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
If the city is down there is no auto-resupply to the start factories. If the strat factories are down there is no auto-resuppy to bases.

How do the "I wish strat was worth hitting" want it to work?

What you really want is something easy to blow up. Just say, "I want something easy to blow up. I don't want to fly all that way, with the risk of getting intercepted or killed by AAA when I get there."

Who said, "what people ask for and what they want is not necessarily the same"?

Of course, in real life, who would put a factory off by itself where it was easy to hit?

Also, asking for players to not be able to resupply is like asking for players to not be able to play.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors

Also, asking for players to not be able to resupply is like asking for players to not be able to play.
wrongway

With AW's strat system, if you destroyed a depot then that depot wouldn't be able to resupply the local base until it was resupplied by the factory that supplied the depot.  If you were to destroy the factory but left the local depot up then the local depot could still supply the local base but supply runs would be less often (to model the supply shortage due to the factory being destroyed) until the factory was repaired.  Destroy the depot, factory, main factory and the main supply base for a country and the AI supply drones wouldn't run, players would then have to up a C-47 with supplies and fly it to either the damaged factories, main supply base, depot or airfield to repair.  So while you could stop the AI from resupplying bases, you didn't stop players from being able to do it.  The AW strat system actually led to the creation of nothing but air transport squadrons in which the members only flew either drunks or supplies.

Then they made the depots capturable in AW3, which really then change the strat dynamics in the game.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:37:52 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
What you really want is something easy to blow up. Just say, "I want something easy to blow up. I don't want to fly all that way, with the risk of getting intercepted or killed by AAA when I get there."

That is not at ALL what we want.  We got that now - strategic bombers can milk run towns on undefended bases all day long for perkies.  What I'm looking for is some strategic use for strategic bombers.  We have seen some epic bomber missions on titanic tuesdays, and what I really want is to see people doing big bomber missions every night.  Why?  Because I believe that in the long run, it is essential for this game to get and retain MORE players and that the best way for that to happen is for more missions to happen so that newbies can get involved with other players.  

To get folks to run a big bomber mission, I believe it would help to have something worth hitting - and to my mind that is strats.  We have all the big strategic bombers, and nothing strategic for them to bomb.  The formulas I suggested above aren't huge hits to the side on the receiving end, but they do make a difference - and IMHO that difference is just enough to get people to up big bomber missions, and to up defenders as well.  

As to the resupply of strats issue - I am opposed to it.  Look what happened to people running bombing raids to HQ once you could just resupply it - they STOPPED.  Why?  Because it isn't worth spending an hour running a bombing raid over to HQ to cut off Dar when they can resupply it with M3s or Goons in 10 minutes.  When the Dar stayed off for 45 minutes, it was worth it.  To my mind, you could harden HQ, add puffy ack there (and at the city too), and then just kill the resupply option.  

Some of the most fun I have had in months in the game was going up against the epic B-29 mission - we had people tracking the raid, calling out location and alt, winging up and running interception flights, and it was in a word - EPIC.  I want to see a lot more of it, and I think the game benefits as a whole if they set up a system to encourage it.