Author Topic: f4u brutal stall?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: f4u brutal stall?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
This thread is turning into one of those rare "nuggets of gold" types.  Thanks everyone for their inputs.  I am going to start experimenting with trimming options and see what happens.   :salute

I'll give you another tip for analog trim. Analog trim, which is trim mapped to an axis control, is over-ridden by auto trim and combat trim. When you turn auto trim or combat trim off you will get whatever trim you previously set manually.

Your most efficient acceleration in any aircraft is at 0 G when you don't have any induced drag from lift. If you set manual elevator trim to give you 0 G at your best sustained turn speed, then you can dive out of your best sustained turn at 0 G just by centering the stick without having to look at the gauge. As your speed builds you might pitch down a little to maintain 0 G but usually you won't dive for very long. When you get to your max level speed you'll find that the same trim position that gave you a 0 G dive now gives you close to level trim. Just be careful when you're slow and close to the ground because you can auger very quickly by easing your pull.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:49:09 AM by FLS »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:50 AM »
So, FLS, if I trimmed my nose up a bit and go to combat trim and then turn combat trim off again it's back to the manual trim?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »
So, FLS, if I trimmed my nose up a bit and go to combat trim and then turn combat trim off again it's back to the manual trim?

Only if you have trim wheels mapped to your joystick/throttle, IIRC.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »

Only if you have trim mapped to an axis as EskimoJoe said. If you use keyboard keys for trim the trim will stay at the last position that combat trim or one of the auto trim modes put it in.

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
Is rudder trim really important? I use a x-45 and it got only 2 wheels. Also, should I invest on rudder pedal?
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Is rudder trim really important? I use a x-45 and it got only 2 wheels. Also, should I invest on rudder pedal?
Not really, only elevator

Yes get peddles I love mine
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:35:52 AM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »

I played the game for the first few months without rudder pedals, and once I got a set, it totally changed what I could do with the plane in-game.  I'd highly recommend them.  Not mandatory to enjoy the game, but highly recommended. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

Rudder position determines if your aircraft is pointed in the direction you're traveling. This affects drag and gunnery. You can set rudder position with trim or your controller, just center the ball in the gauge that looks like a level, or center it with auto trim or combat trim.

With only 2 axis I would assign elevator trim to one and let auto trim set the rudder and aileron trim. I would use the second axis for RPM or zoom but it's a personal preference.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Only if you have trim mapped to an axis as EskimoJoe said. If you use keyboard keys for trim the trim will stay at the last position that combat trim or one of the auto trim modes put it in.

I need to do some testing because I'm still confused. So if I trim with my keys, or in my case my stick buttons, and hit combat trim on it goes back to the original settings until I trim again?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
I need to do some testing because I'm still confused. So if I trim with my keys, or in my case my stick buttons, and hit combat trim on it goes back to the original settings until I trim again?

No. Combat trim and auto trim both set your trim as if you had set it with the keyboard. Trim would only revert to a previous setting if you had trim mapped to an analog axis like a rotary control or a lever.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:25:01 PM by FLS »

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »

If you turn CT on, it'll trim you out.  When you shut it off, your trims will stay were CT left them (even if that isn't the best place for them to be).  If you manual trim with buttons or keys, you'll "lose" your trim settings when you turn CT on (or auto-level, auto-angle, or auto-speed/climb).

When you turn CT off again, you'll need to readjust your trims.  You can do that by memorizing where you prefer to have the trim indicators, or you can fly at your desired speed and adjust them for straight/level.  As your speed changes, your trim will change.

As TC mentioned, I wouldn't worry about that while in a fight.

If, however, you have your trims mapped to rotary dials or sliders, you can "pre-set" your trims, and they'll return to those settings anytime CT is disabled.  On my X52, I actually set the trims for straight/level at my desired speed, and then take a Sharpie marker and mark the side of my dials so if I bump them I can return them to my desired setting while still using CT (or, I can visually verify that they're set right at any given time).

IMO, the rotary dial option is best, but the downside is that you need to calibrate your dials anytime you calibrate your sick in AH.  If you forget, they won't work right until you re-calibrate them.

Having trim mapped to rotary dials is nice, because it allows me to put my plane into a "familiar" trim-state, where I know how everything "feels" and responds.  The key for me was to have CT off by default, and turn it on when I want it.  Having it on by default and shutting it off when I didn't want it didn't work nearly as well.  If I bump the toggle or get confused for a moment, I don't want CT taking over...

CT is a great tool for the game, and makes flying much more enjoyable.  However, it really only works properly for "basic" flight, clean, at medium speeds, and full throttle.  When speed gets high or low, or gear or flaps come out, or you're "roping", etc, manual trim works better and gives you an edge (once you get proficient at it) IMO.

CT won't throw you into the ground, but it will "fight" you at times.  For example, try landing with CT, and then landing without CT.  With it on, you'll need aileron and elevator input to overpower the CT trim settings.  You'll be approaching the runway with the stick in the corner...

With CT off, and trimmed manually, you can approach with your hand off the stick...  The plane almost lands itself!  There's a big difference when you're trying to RTB while missing big parts of your plane too...  You'll trim to allow you to fly home, and then need to re-trim when you drop flaps and gear.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 05:42:56 PM »
I played the game for the first few months without rudder pedals, and once I got a set, it totally changed what I could do with the plane in-game.  I'd highly recommend them.  Not mandatory to enjoy the game, but highly recommended. 

Especially, as I already said, for the F4U. I use rudder extensively for everything I fly, but nothing benefits more than the Corsair. Watching that big nose heel over with a hard kick to the inside rudder while rolling over the top of a breaking bandit and dropping into the saddle on him is a thing of pure beauty.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 02:02:19 AM »
If you turn CT on, it'll trim you out.  When you shut it off, your trims will stay were CT left them (even if that isn't the best place for them to be).  If you manual trim with buttons or keys, you'll "lose" your trim settings when you turn CT on (or auto-level, auto-angle, or auto-speed/climb).

When you turn CT off again, you'll need to readjust your trims.  You can do that by memorizing where you prefer to have the trim indicators, or you can fly at your desired speed and adjust them for straight/level.  As your speed changes, your trim will change.

As TC mentioned, I wouldn't worry about that while in a fight.

If, however, you have your trims mapped to rotary dials or sliders, you can "pre-set" your trims, and they'll return to those settings anytime CT is disabled.  On my X52, I actually set the trims for straight/level at my desired speed, and then take a Sharpie marker and mark the side of my dials so if I bump them I can return them to my desired setting while still using CT (or, I can visually verify that they're set right at any given time).

IMO, the rotary dial option is best, but the downside is that you need to calibrate your dials anytime you calibrate your sick in AH.  If you forget, they won't work right until you re-calibrate them.

Having trim mapped to rotary dials is nice, because it allows me to put my plane into a "familiar" trim-state, where I know how everything "feels" and responds.  The key for me was to have CT off by default, and turn it on when I want it.  Having it on by default and shutting it off when I didn't want it didn't work nearly as well.  If I bump the toggle or get confused for a moment, I don't want CT taking over...

CT is a great tool for the game, and makes flying much more enjoyable.  However, it really only works properly for "basic" flight, clean, at medium speeds, and full throttle.  When speed gets high or low, or gear or flaps come out, or you're "roping", etc, manual trim works better and gives you an edge (once you get proficient at it) IMO.

CT won't throw you into the ground, but it will "fight" you at times.  For example, try landing with CT, and then landing without CT.  With it on, you'll need aileron and elevator input to overpower the CT trim settings.  You'll be approaching the runway with the stick in the corner...

With CT off, and trimmed manually, you can approach with your hand off the stick...  The plane almost lands itself!  There's a big difference when you're trying to RTB while missing big parts of your plane too...  You'll trim to allow you to fly home, and then need to re-trim when you drop flaps and gear.

That's true on trimming a damaged plane. I think there's some things I yet need to learn and I thought I was doing so well.  :lol at myself!

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2011, 03:13:30 AM »
I use manual trim on all axles, always, and recommend it.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
I use manual trim on all axles, always, and recommend it.

I leave the roll alone. I do trim the pitch and have been experimenting with the rudders. No conclusive results yet.