Author Topic: Your childhood dream job  (Read 1839 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Your childhood dream job
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »
When I was young wanted to be a truck driver , fire fighter, Bouncer at a Strip bar , crash cartoon airplanes, and a millionaire, so far accomplished all of them except the truck driver and millionaire part, still working on that, and still currently working as a firefighter/paramedic after 20 yrs

if you dont mind, what is the path to become a truck driver? i know there is a special licence to earn AFTER G1, G2, etc...what next?

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
I never thought about that kinda stuff until maybe 15 years old at that point I realized I wanted to do Tattoo's because it is the only "living" art, and it was something nobody could take from me, started Tattooing at 18, hittin 42 this year still going strong :aok
Same here . I don't ever remember saying what I wanted to be . Still trying to figure this one out at 45 ..but I do remember saying I would be retired at 40 and I was ...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:46:24 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
if you dont mind, what is the path to become a truck driver? i know there is a special licence to earn AFTER G1, G2, etc...what next?
go to a professional truck driving school...several trucking companies have their own...you need a class a commercial driver's license, and although it's an honorable profession, i wouldn't recommend it if you have other choices.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
I had a friend who dreamed of being a garbage man when he was little. He would help the city garbage collectors pickup trash and toss it into the garbage trucks for them. This same guy now pilots commercial airliners.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
When I was young wanted to be a truck driver , fire fighter, Bouncer at a Strip bar , crash cartoon airplanes, and a millionaire, so far accomplished all of them except the truck driver and millionaire part, still working on that, and still currently working as a firefighter/paramedic after 20 yrs
small world, Brother.

would love to do PJ for my paramedic license....but that wont be happening with arthritis in my right knee.  :cry
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »
From the time I was old enough to talk and look at pictures of my father's youngest brother, and Air Force Colonel turned commercial pilot.... it was only ever one thing...

wanted to fly fast jets for RAF from age 12 on. age 17 found out my colour blindness meant they wouldnt let me fly anything. dammit. :furious

Same here. Found out in 1992 I had failed my eye exam while trying to get into the Air Force Academy, after my second year of AFROTC in college. Oddly, I was already on an Air Force scholorship for 2 years, and had already passed the eye exam once. I looked to other branches of the armed forced but was told by Army, Navy, and Marines that the nature of the problem with my left eye (although technically I have perfect uncorrected vision) would eliminate me from flying anything, ever, for the US Gov't. I got out, and tried to figure out what to do with my life after losing the only dream I had ever really had. Ever.

I shouldn't have listened to them.

Within 5 years they were so short on pilots they were handing out waivers right and left. One of my best friends in college and AFROTC never really had any desires to fly, and wore glasses. He got a waiver in 1996 and went on to C-17's.  :mad:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
I never really worried about it until I was probably around 16 or so.  Then, I decided the profession for me was a hermit.

20+ years later, still no success.  I've had plenty of jobs in the meantime, but I still haven't reached my goal.  My wife basically say's "No!  Get your donut to work" and that's that...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
I always wanted to be a trash collector...because they got to ride on the back of the truck.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
I had a friend who dreamed of being a garbage man when he was little. He would help the city garbage collectors pickup trash and toss it into the garbage trucks for them. This same guy now pilots commercial airliners.

In many ways he ended up picking up garbage anyway, white trash etc.  :rock
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
Then, I decided the profession for me was a hermit... snip ...

My wife basically say's "No!  Get your donut to work" and that's that...

Well there's your problem!  A proper hermit doesn't have a wife!  You've gotta get rid of her so you can realize your dream!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
I don't want to join the air force
I don't want to go to war
I'd rather hang around Piccadilly Underground
Living on the earnings of a high class lady...

The rest of the song detailing exactly how this worked out violates a couple of forum rules, but the entire process apparently took exactly one week...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
Well there's your problem!  A proper hermit doesn't have a wife!  You've gotta get rid of her so you can realize your dream!

:rofl

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
In second grade (1967) I remember a college student doing a study on children's future job aspirations comming in to talk to us and asking us all what we wanted to be and remember telling her I wanted to be an astronaut.

By 9th grade that changed to wanting to be in radio, which I did for many many years.

Lucky for me.  I'm horribly afraid of heights.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
If I remember, I wanted to be an artist first and took some lessons. Got bored and wanted to become a writer. Didn't finish anything I started and wanted to become a Hockey player. Played 8 years and got bored and quit. Wanted to do a bunch of random jobs from working with computers, to working on an assembly line. Quickly got bored and thought about joining the military. Never did. Now I write Anime and plan on starting a band.  ;) :rock

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
If I remember, I wanted to be an artist first and took some lessons. Got bored and wanted to become a writer. Didn't finish anything I started and wanted to become a Hockey player. Played 8 years and got bored and quit. Wanted to do a bunch of random jobs from working with computers, to working on an assembly line. Quickly got bored and thought about joining the military. Never did. Now I write Anime and plan on starting a band.  ;) :rock
how do you get bored of hockey? nothing is ever the same.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb