Author Topic: Lining up a 262 snapshot despite evasive (for lulu and anyone else curious)  (Read 1681 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
by flicking the nose he means leading into the shot slightly low, then at the last minute 'flicking' the nose up into possition. That is how I understood it anyhow, and it's something I try to do often.

thats funny because the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was riding along with you in a mossie in a furball - the impression isnt of smoothly setting up shots, leading then squeeezing the trigger but quickly snatching a shot at anything off-vector on the way through. just a quick jink and a burst. reminds me of chucking a ball at someone and them instinctively twitching to catch it.

moot, those screenies with the trail at the end explained that kill perfectly, and shows how useful the film viewer is as a tool for understanding and improving :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
It'd be great if those trails could be color coded for throttle/speed/flap position/other stuff.

I've wanted to make some demo/tutorials for a long time, drawing on screen and narrating all the things I'm considering during a good sortie, but it takes so long to build and edit that I run out of patience every time.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
I can host on a homestead subscription if you ever want a film up. Your 30mm gunnery is something even Grizz would be jealous of (he told me you showed him the way :0).
 You can email me djhayze21[at]hotmail.com anytime you want a film up for the forums.

Moot is one of my cartoon heroes.

Just a small addition of supporting reasons to start low and "flick high" or adjust high:

1.  As moot said, better visibility.
2.  The majority of player base is more likely to maneuver downward as they flat turn versus upward.  (This comes from lots of observation, the better sticks will avoid upward)
3.  It's easier to flick the nose upward with positive elevator for last second adjustment then flick downward with neg elevator. 

These three reasons make setting up out in front and low the most efficient way to set the shot up.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
Moot, I appriciate the effort, but for some reason I am getting a "This photo is currently unavailable" by flickr.  :bhead

Anyone else not able to see the images?

Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
That account's gone, I'll put em up elsewhere in a bit.

The way I do this last part is by flicking the nose up to the solution.  I don't even think about where to aim anymore, it just happens on its own.  This takes more practice than actually rolling so that the target is in sight all the way to the shot, but I'm lazy and my gear is too crappy for that precision.  It does take more practice to flick the shot this way, but if your gear makes it too impractical (e.g. too much deadzone), it might be simpler to flick it than continually roll and rudder to track and aim. 

You can see it's not so hard to picture what the target's future path is:

Hits @ end of spit's red trails
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:06:18 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
Its not that easy when he rolls and pulls down... pulling up is just setting himself up for a shot.
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
It's tighter and if you see it coming it's not impossible either, though you have to recognize it further out.  Pushing rudder completely in (and keeping it there till the shot) and throttling back will usually slow me down enough if I absolutely must get that downward evading target.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you