Author Topic: "horde" moratorium  (Read 2668 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: "horde" moratorium
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 08:22:06 AM »
I have screenshots if you're interested :devil
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
 :lol  It's a can of worms I tell you... But, in truth, I'd say we all have screenies of everybody hording or doing some other lamebrain stuff.   :rock  We should start a thread for it even!!! 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
Last week the bish tactic on the Grinder map was the following: they all got together, came in amazing numbers, at high altitude, totally blocked a field, took it lightening fast, disappeared as soon as they came then showed up in a different location. We had minor chances to find a fight/furball/interception, call it anything.
I have to say, they were clever and scary organized. The only problem, they were clearly trying to avoid every contact with any enemy who can defend himself with at least a minor chance.
AoM
City of ice

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »
The players that hate them the most are those that realize they like to fight but haven't yet learned how to effectively fight the horde yet.  So what I'm saying is, if you detest hordes, it is because you have a lot left to learn.
honestly when i see an enemy horde i get happy. if it's not too many enemy vs too few ally, then its a good fight and a good place to learn and hone your skills.
You are such a pompous and assuming individual.  Fighting the hordes involve using the exact opposite logic that the hordes themselves use.  While hordes come in and lay waste to everything they can and use overwhelming numbers, a single defender (with speed) can simply hunt the 1 (or few) important thing that matters to the vHordes' success: the goon.  Better yet, a proactive bloke can keep the ammo bunkers down from the strategically important nearby fields and that too will help stave off the hordes.  I've had good luck and fun coming in at 10k and BnZ'in the vHordes.    
facing the hordes head on requires a severe amount of ACM and SA. if you are lacking in either, you stand a great chance of losing. even coming in with alt and in a four ship or squadron strength unit you're still usually outnumbered and must maintain your E as long as possible to destroy your enemy. (yes, it may be simple to find that one goon but since when has a base taking squad only brought one or two goons? i've seen squads lift with 5 at a time for base takes because they know some will get shot down) so in the end you're going to have to face the hammer of the horde until you find the anvil to stop the take.

Not everyone can up a 262 to hunt goons and good base take units cover the perimeter or CAP the area to stop these hunters anyways (the 20th has done this CAP operation many times while never truly dedicating ourselves to the base takes because it provides us with targets). If the assault stalls, you will start seeing coordinated counter offensives by the enemy to clear the field under fire by flying high alt from another field (i love this because it's usually an even fight and a GOOD one at that for us) :aok

yes i may have over explained this but since when have tactics been easy? It's a chess game of the mind at all times. predict your enemy, be unpredictable. be agressive and defensive at the same time. there is alot more to this topic other than (just kill the goon).

<S> all. my 2 cents to this.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
Last week the bish tactic on the Grinder map was the following: they all got together, came in amazing numbers, at high altitude, totally blocked a field, took it lightening fast, disappeared as soon as they came then showed up in a different location. We had minor chances to find a fight/furball/interception, call it anything.
I have to say, they were clever and scary organized. The only problem, they were clearly trying to avoid every contact with any enemy who can defend himself with at least a minor chance.

Yep, that sounds like the Bish to me!
:lol  It's a can of worms I tell you... But, in truth, I'd say we all have screenies of everybody hording or doing some other lamebrain stuff.   :rock  We should start a thread for it even!!! 

Well, this is a thread about hoarding...  :devil

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
and yes. what i just wrote actually is informative for once :bolt:

i usually keep my thoughts on this chess game to myself but sometimes i let some of it out because what i wrote is no where near half of what i think of while reading that damn map and the enemy's movements... :lol

Edit: remind me to type faster :rofl
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I personally don't want to see the Grinder map go away..........     :(  Off hours is Fun hours right now.  

hhhhhhmmmmmmm
Well, this is a thread about hoarding...  :devil
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:36:57 AM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
and yes. what i just wrote actually is informative for once :bolt:

i usually keep my thoughts on this chess game to myself but sometimes i let some of it out because what i wrote is no where near half of what i think of while reading that damn map and the enemy's movements... :lol

Edit: remind me to type faster :rofl

I don't mean to brag or anything.. I taught myself to type when I was ten or so,
I hit 240wpm in middle-school  :uhoh

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
I don't mean to brag or anything.. I taught myself to type when I was ten or so,
I hit 240wpm in middle-school  :uhoh
i was just adding the edit because before i finished my second post as a joke bud. ;)

you got in between my posts FAST :lol
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
Logan, yes, this thread is about hording. Grizz said that hordes are defeatable, he is right, a larger scale fighter sweep can solve the horde problem. Its that simple as long as they do not disappear to the first sight of danger  ;)
Bar: i know, did that many times. I seen dozens running from 4 high fighters. But 4 fighters in knitland...  :D not as easy to organize. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:49:18 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Logan, yes, this thread is about hording. Grizz said that hordes are defeatable, he is right, a larger scale fighter sweep can solve the horde problem. Its that single as long as they do not disappear to the first sight of danger  ;)
debrody. there are so many options to counter a horde, the defender has the complete advantage vs. the offense. but then again the offensive unit can counter any defense they create. it is a painful chess game which the better commander of the operation/or cohesive unit will win. you'd be amazed what 4 fighters can do to CAP an offensive raid....
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »
I propose that the system should add "tard" at the end of the name displayed whenever anyone uses the spelling "hoard" on channel 200.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
Well I usually keep quiet and just read but a couple of beers have made me loquacious (sp?).

The word "horde" and folks talking about it being a bad thing is starting to get under my skin.  Yep there are those folks who like to furball, be it in aircraft or even gv's (yes they furball too but in their own little way) but there are others, like myself, who like to take real estate.  I don't especially like to die even in cartoon world.  Do I get ticked off if I die, sometimes, but I try to tell myself it's just a silly game and reup.

For those realtors of us it makes sense to have as much of an advantage as possible when doing our thing to keep our cartoon planes flying.  I don't have a military background but did attend a college that was one of 4 senior military colleges in the states.  This meant that I was in a corps of cadets, lived in barracks-style dorms, wore uniforms and took four total years of Army ROTC.  I never served active duty for personal reasons but hold an extreme respect for those who did/do.  There we learned lots of different things from history to basic squad infantry tactics.  There was an interesting acronym (goodness how the military loves it's acronyms) that I always think of when folks begin to state their disgust in hordes.  This acronym is MOSSMOUSE and here it is spelled out:
Mass
Offensive
Simplicity
Surprise
Maneuver
Objective
Unity of Command
Security
Economy of Force

<snip for space>

This is great....if we were going to war. We are playing a game here. Hordes are bad. If a new player logs on every night for a week and ups where there is a dar bar ( because he's looking for action) he goes head to head with a horde. All this does is get him killed over and over with very few kills, and he logs off in frustration. After that first month if he hasn't learned how to find a fight some other way he is most likely either going to join a horde of his own, or end his subscription. So a small percentage find other fights, a larger percentage add to the hordes, and a percentage quit. 2 out of three of those choices are not good for game play.

You may as well keep detesting us because we certainly aren't going anywhere.

Wanna bet?  :devil  6 months, maybe a year and people won't even remember your squads name. Heck once Little league starts your going to lose half your squad !

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »

Wanna bet?  :devil  6 months, maybe a year and people won't even remember your squads name. Heck once Little league starts your going to lose half your squad !

:rofl 

The last squad that was purely a hording-base take squad was ... ... well... none are coming to mind, really.  I remember a few I think, but the thing is I know them more now for being muti-purpose, they do many things.  They didnt like being the bench warmer on a winning team.   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.