Author Topic: Met A Fellow The Other Night  (Read 6862 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Re: Met A Fellow The Other Night
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
how do you know they were vets did the guy say there names?   how would a new player knows a vet from another new player? 

I used the term "vet" myself simply to differentiate them from a "newbie".  They obviously had more time in the game that the newb, if even only by days or hours.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
This has bothered me for quite some time.  Telling a new player to go to the TA, a large percentage of the time, results in him logging in to the TA to find...  Nobody there.  Or nobody there who can or will help.  The correct answer, in my opinion, is to direct the new player to this section of the forums, or the Trainers site, where he can start a thread asking for a Trainer.

Just saying, go to the TA is much of the time going to result in the new guy wondering how an empty Training Arena is supposed to solve all of his problems.

My opinion would be different if there were Trainers available 24/7 in the TA.

I usually offer to go with the guy to the TA to show him what I was doing, or he was/wasn't doing, that got him killed.  I tell them they can't die in there and that will often entice them to check it out.  Further discuss lets me tell them about AH Trainers, the Dueling Arena, FSO, Scenarios, the Racing League, etc.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
I used the term "vet" myself simply to differentiate them from a "newbie".  They obviously had more time in the game that the newb, if even only by days or hours.

ahhhh ok gotcha  :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
Thank you Sloehand :aok
When we came here from FA we witnessed much the same thing and at first I was kind of offended.
nowI can sort of understand it though answering the same questions time and time again for someone that is probably just tryin it for two weeks can get old.maybe some sort message to people that are on the free trial directing them to a trainer and or training time? I always try to help but some players are very difficult to teach depending on their age,computer perephials in use etc.my feelings on the hazing telling someone the Alt f4 is humerous a few times,tellin em to hit enter 3x to do something special sure what the heck,but tellin them to kill the radar nomatter what,teaching bad tactics thats just poor taste IMHO

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Oh lord, really? Its a tradition to mess with the "newbs" like that. Hell, I got all the tricks pulled on me when I started.
Pat yourself on the back sloe. Im cooking up some cookies. Want one?

If you do this to someone on their first night, then you're a tool no matter how you try to disguise or
justify it.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
We found one person who was giving him bad info... :lol
\

I'm sure you know someone who could tell him exactly,when,where and how to do things.  :D
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
Very good Sloehand.

I really despise the attitude that causes people to try to drive out new players that way.  I have spent hours with new players, trying to help them get their feet under them, both in the MA and the TA.

Oh, "alt-F4" and variations thereof should be added to the profanity filter.  :devil
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
I just began my subscriptions a few days ago and i have played with some cool people in AvA and in MW and it is funny to see some other people trolling more then playing. funny in a sad way.

Also sometimes i go on a situation where i cant understand what some person said and i ask for them to repeat some times, im really sorry about that guys.. its just that it has been some times that i dont hear and speak english except from movies wich are easier to understand then from a conversation thru the voice radio
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:04:28 PM by Raphael »
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
if you could pm his name that would be nice. Thanks and salute

RedTail

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Began my subscription a week ago, thanks to the Rooks giving me the Alt + F4 advice, I went knit. So far everyones been just awesome to fly with, whether its FB, 68th, AK or the many other squads (these are just a few recently I winged with daily). While I get the joke some think they are Aces, in reality its a video game and some of us are just trying to learn, it doesn't hurt to tell someone what the command for dive breaks are.

Its one thing to ask "How do I fly my plane" - which needs the TA, however other advice like difference between AP and HE would really help a player out.
Believe it or not, some haven't played war games like some of us have.
JG 52

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
Glad you helped him and even happier he went bish. :)

I hate it when people mess with new guys. Yeah you can rattle with them but in the end overdoing it drives them away from the already small community.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
WTG sloehand, it's always cool from the new guy's perspective to have someone teaching them how to fly.

i remember my first day, in April of 2009, and i was fortunate enough to have both Fudgums and ThndrEGG (same country at the time, although not working together) take me under their wing and teach me most of the game. it was on my 5th day of flight that i learned i was allowed to switch countrys, which i did, to bish. Lo and behold, it was the knits that gave me a hard time when i wanted to learn something.

So, i always find it imparative to take a new guy and fly a sortie or two with him, to teach him the game. i remember one enthusiastic young man (for the life of me i can't remember his tag) who was getting a real hard time from the community, and i took him in a spit8 (in my opinion the best training aircraft in the game). i feel like i did a good job, because after a few training flights we flew a combat sortie, and he scored his first ever kill! that is the best feeling in the world when you see the person YOU more or less trained succeeding in the game. i wish more of them had mics, though.....
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Began my subscription a week ago, thanks to the Rooks giving me the Alt + F4 advice, I went knit. So far everyones been just awesome to fly with, whether its FB, 68th, AK or the many other squads (these are just a few recently I winged with daily). While I get the joke some think they are Aces, in reality its a video game and some of us are just trying to learn, it doesn't hurt to tell someone what the command for dive breaks are.

Its one thing to ask "How do I fly my plane" - which needs the TA, however other advice like difference between AP and HE would really help a player out.

butcher, you ever see me on hit me up with any questions you may have i don't know if anyones told you but   AP = armor piercing good for GV's and the occasional low flying plane     HE= high explosive, good for buildings, hangers, etc  in case you didn't know, if you did i apologise
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
 :salute Sloehand

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »

Hey Butcher  :salute  I am AKZoney in game.  I have seen you around quite a bit bud.  You are doing great!  Anything you need let me know.  Glad you are here sir.
Wag more, bark less.