Author Topic: Question on the JU-87 D3  (Read 5134 times)

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Question on the JU-87 D3
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
Being fascinated ever since I was a little kid by watching WW2 footage of the Stuka causing mayhem during the early stages of the war. Especially the footage that includes Stukas dive bombing with the iconic Jericho sirens.

I was really disappointed when I subscribed to AH and found out the model D3 did not come with the siren. From past threads and doing a little research, I assume through history the D3 was the later model stuka that we have now. The B1 was the earlier model that did carry the siren and the D3 was made with improvements for better visibility. The siren itself was removed because the Luftwaffe decided that the psychological effect kind of lost its edge at that point in the war and the D3 also had the option to carry the 1800kg bomb that I assume the B1 did not.

My question is:
Did HTC decide to go with the D3 model rather than the earlier version with the dive siren because of the 1800kg bomb option? Would giving us the earlier version with the siren make it less of a hanger queen even if we suffer with a 10-20mph difference the drag caused by the siren itself?

I cant even vision how much fun it would be than to have 20+ stukas diving towards a target and hearing the sirens go off. Would players be more optimistic to join those missions just for that aspect?
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: Question on the JU-87 D3
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »
Just add US Rangers stuka sound...and kabam instant dive siren!
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
Understood. Guess what I am getting at is if we did have the model equipped with the siren, then by default everyone would be able to hear it. Really defeats the purpose if only you can hear it.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
Thats a good point, but seeing the AH culture, I am sure they'd still pick the uber bomb verse a siren.  Just my thoughts though.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
I agree with Copr, if it had a lesser bomb load, then it would be marginally different than an SBD or a TBM for level and dive bombing in the eyes of most of the AH players.
Strokes

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »

how do you set that to only play in a dive?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
how do you set that to only play in a dive?
You make it the wind noise.
It would be nice to have a Ju 87B-1, D-5, and G-2.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
It is the wind file, the stuka rarely gets to 300 level, so it will only play when you dive.
Strokes

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Understood. Guess what I am getting at is if we did have the model equipped with the siren, then by default everyone would be able to hear it. Really defeats the purpose if only you can hear it.

Thats a good point, but seeing the AH culture, I am sure they'd still pick the uber bomb verse a siren.  Just my thoughts though.

I certainly would choose the siren.  Heck make a mixed mission some planes with siren and some with super bombs.  Get the terror with the happy ending! :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
I certainly would choose the siren.  Heck make a mixed mission some planes with siren and some with super bombs.  Get the terror with the happy ending! :D

Just imagine the carnage  :x

Mission consisting of 20 Stukas hitting a vbase. The first group assigned hangar duties with the big bombs. The others come screaming in for GV cleanup...Wow, I just had a happy ending myself :bolt:

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
As much fun as the 1800k bomb is, the three bomb loadout of 1-1000k and 2-250k is much more versitile. It still is enough ord to drop a hanger but you also have the option to destroy 3 seperate targets that are not clustered together. The stuka may be a hangar queen but she is still my favorite ride in the MA  :aok
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
B or D, they both had no siren. The sirens were used only early on to strike fear in the populations they were bombing. This later was one of the points brought up in the war crimes trials after the war.

However, during the war even the B models removed it after those early stages of the war. You'll find most pictures of Bs are missing this very obvious and visible item.

It would be a giant propellor blade over the rounded fairing in front of the middle guy's elbow here:

No siren.

Also no siren.

Even the fairing is gone on this one (and many others).

Another with no siren.

In fact, actually finding photographic evidence that this siren was ever used is RARE. That is why AH does not have it modeled, aside from the B/D differences. Either model would not have it.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
found a diagram of what the siren should look like...

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
Just imagine the carnage  :x

Mission consisting of 20 Stukas hitting a vbase. The first group assigned hangar duties with the big bombs. The others come screaming in for GV cleanup...Wow, I just had a happy ending myself :bolt:
I'd like to encounter a mission of 20 Ju87s......   :devil
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I'd like to encounter a mission of 20 Ju87s......   :devil

you've obviously never been online when BAR and i mash our mischevious minds together :t
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74