Author Topic: Are there enough players?  (Read 7643 times)

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Re: Are there enough players?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:30 AM »
^ Bam  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »
The big fans of flight sims are already playing this game or know about it at the very least. Before they advertise they need to change the game so that the people that see the advertisements will actually stay. I can tell you right now that non flight sim people that want to play mmos won't put up with arena caps. So their choice is remove arena caps to get new players and piss off old players or keep arena caps to keep the old players happy but shut out new players. A younger gamer isn't going to sacrifice excellent graphics and not having a monthly fee (IL2 for example) for a game with worse graphics and the same amount of players. They're going to want to play a game that has a TON of players in a PERSISTENT world, they won't want to be forced to join a different "persistent" map every time they log back in.

:aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
Only HTC has the numbers for the decision, and personally I hate the single arena WHEN THE NUMBERS WERE OVER 500. If the numbers support it, I'd like to see it go back to a single arena. HTC still has the split arena scenario in hand and I'm sure they could slip it back in without much trouble. Should HTC see the same "unhealthy arena" and subscription issue they could switch back no problem.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
oh how i miss those days

Same here. I lost interest quickly after the arenas split
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »
I'd argue that the populaton of AH overall has declined from that "golden age".  Just go into the arena, pop open the clipboard and sort by rank.  The lowest ranked players today are much higher ranked than before so that indicates that there are fewer players playing the game. 

Absolutley. When we had one uncapped arena, I was rank 6000 (ish), now with the arena split I'm still last, but theres only about 3000 active players so I'm ranked 2999.   :frown:
Also, I know about 5 people who Only play on Tuesday, I bet a lot of you can say the same. 
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
Absolutley. When we had one uncapped arena, I was rank 6000 (ish), now with the arena split I'm still last, but theres only about 3000 active players so I'm ranked 2999.

It's not that bad.  ;) We had more than 4400 players with at least one kill or death in the LW arena last tour
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:53:21 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

It's not that bad.  ;) We had more than 4400 players with at least one kill or death in the LW arena last tour

Yea but at least 10 of those were sunbat shades.  :D

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »

It's not that bad.  ;) We had more than 4400 players with at least one kill or death in the LW arena last tour

And that excludes all those folks who maintained a subscription, but did not have a sortie

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
And that excludes all those folks who maintained a subscription, but did not have a sortie

But also includes 2-weekers that did not have a subscription as well ;)
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »
But also includes 2-weekers that did not have a subscription as well ;)

Good point!  I wonder how many people do the two weekk trial but never subscribe.  Only HTC knows that though.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:37 PM »
What if there was only one arena that split 60 minutes after the population reaches that point where the play experience begins to deteriorate? Once the sum of the population in both arenas falls to 70 or 80 percent (throw-away numbers) of that "that point" for an hour the arenas can merge back together. Similar set up to what we have now except the population is the factor that decides whether the arena will split, not the time of day.

I'm sure HTC carefully considered what time of day to split the LWMA and what time to merge it again, but I'm interested in what sort of discussion this idea would spark (if it had never been discussed previously, which would surprise me).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:08:15 PM by GNucks »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
Only HTC has the numbers for the decision, and personally I hate the single arena WHEN THE NUMBERS WERE OVER 500. If the numbers support it, I'd like to see it go back to a single arena. HTC still has the split arena scenario in hand and I'm sure they could slip it back in without much trouble. Should HTC see the same "unhealthy arena" and subscription issue they could switch back no problem.
What's perplexing is that the huge maps (400 sectors) which HAD the 500-600 guys on them (which HT deemed 'bad', from a numbers vs gameplay perspective) are STILL the maps in play, even when there is only 1 guy for every 2 sectors on the map...a poor fit, IMO (from a 'gameplay' perspective)

Does HTC have a desired ratio in mind, of players to sectors?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:16:12 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:54 AM »
I just wish they postponed the switch to 2 arenas ONE HOUR , now it pretty much it for the day for many Europeans , because new arenas do not fill up to a critical number fast enough, because for that #Q¤%¤%%&  100-arena cap.

I do not have a sollution for the problem, maybe someone else have , HTC have a reason for splitting it up.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
Tonight I logged on at around 11:00 PM Central to get a couple of sorties in.  Orange was locked at 100/100 and I was forced to go into Blue with a total of 45 players.  It happened to be the map I most detest (NDIsles) and the only fighting was on the center island.  Needless to day I logged out.  No one in WWI.  Went to the DA and got a couple quick sorties in at furball lake in a Ki-61 and logged out for the night.

45 players isn't really "massive multi-player" IMO.  

So for my weekend Friday was a strike-out, Saturday was OK and Sunday the game was evidently cancelled.

Maybe at one time having over 500 people on a map wasn't good for subscriptions but having less than 50 is even worse for gameplay.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:32:49 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »
Playing Devil's advocate for a second:

What was one of the great things about the early days?  Everyone knew each other, right?  Despite the low numbers of the time.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you