Author Topic: Are there enough players?  (Read 8592 times)

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Re: Are there enough players?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 04:09:35 AM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:10:44 PM by Skuzzy »
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
Tonight I logged on at around 11:00 PM Central to get a couple of sorties in.  Orange was locked at 100/100 and I was forced to go into Blue with a total of 45 players.  It happened to be the map I most detest (NDIsles) and the only fighting was on the center island.  Needless to day I logged out.  No one in WWI.  Went to the DA and got a couple quick sorties in at furball lake in a Ki-61 and logged out for the night.

45 players isn't really "massive multi-player" IMO.  

So for my weekend Friday was a strike-out, Saturday was OK and Sunday the game was evidently cancelled.

Maybe at one time having over 500 people on a map wasn't good for subscriptions but having less than 50 is even worse for gameplay.
around 7 PM,ET last evening the game was dead also, one of LW 100/100 caped ,got in  2nd arena few min with 127 players heavly unbalanced and i logged; was like  trying to have fun in a club where the girls are locked in separate rooms from the boys, it's like playing...... offline.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »
I was in Blue for awhile and had a great time. Some fairly good fights to be had.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »
When the area splits happened is when I started to lose interest. Mainly because 9 times out of 10 I would log in, see that most of my squadies were in one of the LW arenas and it was always capped, and I wouldn't be able to fly with my squad. My only choice was to go to another arena and fly with people I didn't know, or sit there and wait, hoping the cap would change and let me log in to fly with my friends. It was frustrating and it sucked.

Back before the caps when I logged in I KNEW I was going to get to fly and fight with my squad. Didn't matter if our "country" was outnumbered or not, we would either deffend our fields, or we would go on the attack. Point was we were flying together and having fun. All that went by the wayside in order to make things more "fair" in the arenas with population caps and side balancing.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
TankTown in trinity is a waste right now but i am sure if we where in one arena one map we would see a ton of action there.

No. Tank town on Trinity is as empty on Titanic Tuesdays as on any other day, caps or not. It's not split arena or player numbers by themselves that killed off the concept of Tank Town.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »

No. Tank town on Trinity is as empty on Titanic Tuesdays as on any other day, caps or not. It's not split arena or player numbers by themselves that killed off the concept of Tank Town.

The people that played in this Tank Town probably left the game when the caps were put in, so just because Tuesday doesn't have a cap doesn't mean the players are the same as before. I know I wouldn't be paying 15 bucks to play 4 days a month.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
The arena split had nothing to do with "fair", or "balancing" the teams. It had everything to do with the subscription growth rate. Before the split, no growth, after the split, growth.

Whether the split helped the growth or not is not for anyof us to decide. HTC believes it and so they will stick to it. Hitech has posted about how a smaller group can "govern" themselves, and in large groups the "individual" gets lost and becomes part of a group that can no longer be "governed" by the rest of the group. To me this sounds like a mindless horde runs the arena when it gets to big. While a smaller group, through peer pressure can govern it's self better. Smaller caps = healthier arenas. Dynamic must be used to "herd" people into the 2 arenas because they are too stupid to regulate themselves.

If this game was more like the old says with combat and squad rivalries and such then some squads could make blue their home and others could make orange their own and there wouldn't be a as many complaints about caps. Everyone would have their "home" arena and would be able to fly with their squadmate , and/or the same "friends" all the time.

Much like AW' Euro arena and PAC arena. People would migrate back and forth, but for the most part stayed in their "home" arena. But, we are all too stupid for that and MUST always play in the "popular" arena with the cool kids. Untill we( the community) can take this into our own hands and make one arena or the other evenly balanced on our own, there will always be complaints about caps.

So basically what I'm saying is if your in here complaining about caps, it's your fault, not HTCs!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
The people that played in this Tank Town probably left the game when the caps were put in,

Incorrect.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
Incorrect.

Wrong.

See what I did there? At least provide some evidence to prove your point. Baseless claims are pointless.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
The arena split had nothing to do with "fair", or "balancing" the teams. It had everything to do with the subscription growth rate. Before the split, no growth, after the split, growth.

Whether the split helped the growth or not is not for anyof us to decide. HTC believes it and so they will stick to it. Hitech has posted about how a smaller group can "govern" themselves, and in large groups the "individual" gets lost and becomes part of a group that can no longer be "governed" by the rest of the group. To me this sounds like a mindless horde runs the arena when it gets to big. While a smaller group, through peer pressure can govern it's self better. Smaller caps = healthier arenas. Dynamic must be used to "herd" people into the 2 arenas because they are too stupid to regulate themselves.

If this game was more like the old says with combat and squad rivalries and such then some squads could make blue their home and others could make orange their own and there wouldn't be a as many complaints about caps. Everyone would have their "home" arena and would be able to fly with their squadmate , and/or the same "friends" all the time.

Much like AW' Euro arena and PAC arena. People would migrate back and forth, but for the most part stayed in their "home" arena. But, we are all too stupid for that and MUST always play in the "popular" arena with the cool kids. Untill we( the community) can take this into our own hands and make one arena or the other evenly balanced on our own, there will always be complaints about caps.

So basically what I'm saying is if your in here complaining about caps, it's your fault, not HTCs!

Your theory would work if there were just two arenas without caps. Because there are caps, squads can't make the orange or blue server their home because other players might cap their "home" arena. I'd be completely fine with there being two servers to choose from at all times, the caps are just kinda silly. If there were two servers at all times without caps it would be pretty easy to see if people prefer one large server or split servers. I'm putting my money on the former.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
LOL Hoff you are a piece of work.  Old Lusche there has spent more time crunching numbers and producing data for the AH crowd then anyone else outside of HTC itself.  Could be that in your month here you haven't figured that out and it explains away your cluelessness.  What it doesn't explain away is your arrogance in being here for a month and trying to tell everyone what's wrong with the game etc.

Could be you might just want to take it back a notch, learn the game a bit more or find something else to do.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »
What it doesn't explain away is your arrogance in being here for a month

I question whether he's only been here a month.

- oldman (hey, I'm the suspicious type!)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »
Wrong.

See what I did there? At least provide some evidence to prove your point. Baseless claims are pointless.

I have done this many times, and the demise of Tank Town and the reasons had been a topic several times. Sorry that I'm not feeling like repeating that stuff everytime it comes up again, especially when a new player that's been here for just a month tells us what happened several years ago. Just as I nowayss do not chime in on every collision thread anymore.

And for comparison: Your claim is based on pure guessing, my claim is based on witnessing all that stuff. I saw what happened. So my claim can beat up your claim  :P
But to clarify: There was absolutely no change in Tank Town combat environment, popularity, raw player numbers after the split or caused by it. TT went downhill about a year later for very different reasons.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:13:36 PM by Lusche »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »

I have done this many times, and the demise of Tank Town and the reasons had been a topic several times. Sorry that I'm not feeling like repeating that stuff everytime it comes up again, especially when a new player that's been here for just a month tells us what happened several years ago. Just as I nowayss do not chime in on every collision thread anymore.

I believe I know exactly how you feel.

HiTech

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
Wrong.

You absolutely do not want to mess with someone as good at hard statistical data as Lusche. Period.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"