Author Topic: wing loading  (Read 440 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
wing loading
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
as we all know, wings will snap off if you are pulling to hard...Is this a calculation that is also applied to bullets when the strike...This is something I wondered after the weekend as I managed to take off the wings of a few planes with only a couple of 20mm rounds...one of these was a lanc which at the time was coming around quite hard and usually it takes many hits for me to knock of a wing....Or was I just lucky enough to hit a good spot..

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: wing loading
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Bullet hits reduce the structural integrity, therefore the wings (or what ever part gets hit) are not capable of sustaining the same amount of Gs as they should.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
so does that mean when a wing is under stress ingame it will break off easier than normal....that's cool...I was it was just something that crossed my mind....I know they have calulations for all other things in game just wondered if this would be taken into account.....quite brain numbing when you think about the work that goes into some of these little things we take for granted in game
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:57:49 PM by SPKmes »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Oh yeah HTC modeled it in AH. That's one of the reasons why I picked AH over all other sims.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s