Author Topic: More about perking ...  (Read 3534 times)

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Creamo, I will not go to your level no matter how much you offend me by telling me to put my clean foot in a Dora. I don't need to vulch for my kills. Should I meet you at 15K straight up or do I wait until you BnZ. The N1K does need to be restricted ..period..

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
More about perking ...
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
You meet me straight up at 15K in a N1K2 vs. a Dora, your pretty much out of options.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
skurj.... gee, what a great option..  So, we just add planes like the spit one and the p40 and a6m2 and anyone who wants to fly early war can just have at it in the current MA?   Or perhaps you feel we have enough early war planes right now?
lazs

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
RPS sux bellybutton period the end.  The perk system seems to be doin ok.  I don't have a ton of points and still not enough for an arado but ya know what?  If I wanted an Arado I could start a bombing campaign and get enough points.  This is the only drawback to the CT for me is the RPS.
I like to fly the underdog planes and stay away from most the uber rides.  I think I have flown 3 perk flights or maybe 4.
For my money let me have the choice of what plane I want to fly when I want to fly it. Don't force me to fly early war for 3 weeks so I can fly a later war bird for a week.  
With the perk system I can earn the points needed to fly a perked plane, so all planes are available to me whenever I want.

Laz don't try to force your game down my throat and I won't try to make you deep throat mine.

S!
Rocket

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
More about perking ...
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Kill/Death ratio should be the determining factor in whether ya git to fly "perk" planes.

It only makes sense... would any Air Force give a state of the art plane to someone they know will not git a kill in and die soon after takeoff?

Set a Kill/Death ratio of say 2.0 for CHOG and 2.5 K/D for the other planes in perk system.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by milnko:
would any Air Force give a state of the art plane to someone they know will not git a kill in and die soon after takeoff?

To put it simply, yes.

All airforces did.

Sure, you had your expert squadrons in the Luftwaffe in 262s and at least one Squadron of Experts in the IJN in N1Ks, but many fresh pilots also flew those aircraft. Same goes for the Tempest and F4U-1C.  The Ta152H-1 and Ar234 were not common enough to really say one way or the other.

Your suggestion is silly in that it would deny those who most need the help access to those planes.

It would also deny those who fly things like Ju88s and Il2s a shot at the perk planes.  If you wanted yo fly perk planes you would simply spend all of your time in P-51s, La-7s and Fw190D-9s, aircraft that it is fairly easy to obtain a 2 or 3 to 1 K/D ratio in. You would never attack a field or GV.

I am 12 and 5 so far in Tour 20. 4 of those deaths were to Ostwinds and the 5th was obtained by trying to straffe a Bf109F-4 in a bomb laden A6M5b and not pulling up in time.

In Tour 19 I was 71 and 65. For most of Tour 19 my K/D was negative because I was flying the weaker aircraft.

I am quite capable of having a 2 or 3 to 1 K/D if I want, but don't ask me to add to the MA diversity while I do it. I think that most others are in the same boat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
More about perking ...
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
Perks system seems fine to me, perhaps those who don't like it find it difficult to get enough perks because they're flying thier little easy mode / low perks per kill ac.  Perhaps they're afraid they'll meet a perk plane which amazingly outperforms their easy mode plane and it shoots them down.  OMG the horror!!!!

The other thing I find really hilarious about the anti-perk crowd are the people that proclaim they never fly perk planes because its unfair ya de ya de yada. LOL

Yet I see a lot of these same people flying N1K's into battle (vulching me at rook fields) when the rooks are being gangbanged with 4 to 1 odds.  Hippo-crates!!!!!

LOL@Creamo and the rest of the dweeb crowd yet again

LOL
LOL
LOL

:)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
Bad idea mlinko

Then a perkie may NEVER be accessible to some players.  I finished the last tour in around the top 160 players, and I didn't have a 2:1 k/d ratio.

SKurj

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak:

To put it simply, yes.

All airforces did.

Sure, you had your expert squadrons in the Luftwaffe in 262s and at least one Squadron of Experts in the IJN in N1Ks, but many fresh pilots also flew those aircraft. Same goes for the Tempest and F4U-1C.  The Ta152H-1 and Ar234 were not common enough to really say one way or the other.

Your suggestion is silly in that it would deny those who most need the help access to those planes.

It would also deny those who fly things like Ju88s and Il2s a shot at the perk planes.  If you wanted yo fly perk planes you would simply spend all of your time in P-51s, La-7s and Fw190D-9s, aircraft that it is fairly easy to obtain a 2 or 3 to 1 K/D ratio in. You would never attack a field or GV.

I am 12 and 5 so far in Tour 20. 4 of those deaths were to Ostwinds and the 5th was obtained by trying to straffe a Bf109F-4 in a bomb laden A6M5b and not pulling up in time.

In Tour 19 I was 71 and 65. For most of Tour 19 my K/D was negative because I was flying the weaker aircraft.

I am quite capable of having a 2 or 3 to 1 K/D if I want, but don't ask me to add to the MA diversity while I do it. I think that most others are in the same boat.

Damn, I actually agree with you here.  Well, to a point.  You don't have to fly an La7 or P51D or a Dora to get a 3 to 1 K/D (in fact, I only went 2.5 to 1 in the Dora).  You just have to be incredibly lucky  :D.  Had a 7 to 1 K/D in the 190A5 last tour, as a result of 3 8 kill sorties (that were massive furballs- with no nikis, I was ecstatic).

However, this tour I flew the N1K for a couple days, went 4 and 1 in that and all I was doing was furballing.  Not going to earn many perkies that way though.  You get more perks for 2 kills in a 109G2 than you do for 5 in a N1K, at least it seemed that way to me.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »
rocket... i can't "force" my ideas on anyone.  I have no influence or, at least, no more influence than you or anyone else on what happens in this game.    So go ahead... try to force your ideas on me.   I will enjoy the exchange.

It's simple really.   With a perk system you end up with an arena where superior planes are allowed to fly against inferior planes.   This may be "historicly" accurate but is pretty unfun for the guy in the inferior plane who, after all, is paying the same amount to fly in a GAME.

with an RPS, modified for plane popularity, you end up with the same thing maybe... superior planes sometimes flying against inferior planes but... the difference is that the person flying the inferior plane is doing it out of choice.

So.... what would be wrong with making uber planes available on say 2 days of each tour?  The arean would be fair choice wise... The uber planes would actually get used and have a chance to fight other uber planes.... You would actually get far more stick time in the uber planes than you do now....  New guys would be able to try em (in a meaningful way) before even one tour was over...

Compare to current "perk" system... what kind of attention starved, lame-o coward would want an uber plane when he knew he had little chance of running into any plane with parity?   The answer is in the question and the way they are used now proves it.
lazs

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
For early war fans a modified RPS would be a savior also.... Even a couple of days of early war only planes would allow for some early war fun plus.... the early war planes would still be available the rest of the tour.... They would even be a little more useful most of the tour since the real uber rides would be restricted to a couple of days or so.

seriously... with the modified RPS even the most die hard tempest fan would get to fly 10 times as many sorties (at the least) as he does now.... same for early war.    How many perk ride sorties do you fly now?   How many 202 or zeke sorties do you fly now?
lazs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
Laz,

The A6M5b is hardly sitting unused:

Tour 19 sampling:

The P-38L has 5631 kills and has been killed 7602 times.
The F6F-5 has 5310 kills and has been killed 5522 times.
The Fw 190D-9 has 4965 kills and has been killed 3104 times.
The A6M5b has 4954 kills and has been killed 7426 times.
The Ki-61 has 3696 kills and has been killed 2353 times.
The Yak-9U has 2847 kills and has been killed 2399 times.
The P-47-D30 has 2395 kills and has been killed 3219 times.
The C.202 has 417 kills and has been killed 888 times.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE:
Remember that perk planes may cost as less as 1 or 2 perks, just enough to regulate the "population" in the arena.

-yay

Based on this theory, IMO, the perk system should work in an automatic mode increasing or decreasing perks based on plane usage (abuse). This way, even C202 may be unperked now and perked after an hour, and again unperked after two hours, etc.

- nay

[ 09-08-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
More about perking ...
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2001, 10:12:00 PM »
havent read it all but id like to say so far I like the perk system.It just needs to be less brutal as in if f4ucs have dropped in popularity to say 109f or 202 numbers then the perk cost can come down.
It needs to be dynamic, to change as an aircrafts use changes.I think the basic idea of the perk system to help control overuse of 1 to 3 most popular types makes AH more varied.Its just at the moment we are slaping a number on a plane and ignoring how much it is used.The talk of me262s being 300 perks sounds a bit over the top if we were to not see them flooding the arena.
Can HTC make the perks change the more we use one type? or does it require someone physically changing values for every adjustment?
I must admit i dont hate to fight f4uc's so much now that they are a rarer match.Same would go for niks if you ask me.Ive always said it i wouldnt mind paying low numbers like 2 or 4 perks for a flight in a plane which is over used.
it really isnt that much of a deal to earn a few perks to fly in planes but to get 70 then disco or die because you hardly get to fly a plane is what hurts so bad.
make the tempest 10 perks and if it is everywhere and we all get sick of fighting them start to raise its cost.Same for all types.
I think its a FAIR system if its done right and very unfair if its guesswork.
Ive no problem with the current costs as i get a chance to fly a perk plane enough for my satifaction.but for others maybe it is pretty frustrating to have to get so much for their favourite (like the tempest)
Id like to see newbies able to fly it more often for the extra challenge.Its no fun beating someone who hasnt had much practice.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
More about perking ...
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
karnak... point taken but... the a6m5 is not an  early war plane.   It is armored and it has self sealing fuel tanks and i believe it is modeled too tough damage wise anyway.   it is also a carrier plane and carrier planes can use carrier ack and hit close enemy fields..... Even at that.... It is being slaughtered!   Imagine how badly an A6m2 would do in the current arena!  Worse... a p40 b or spit 1.   Waste of time to model em even though they were about 100 times more significant than a D9.  every early war plane was 100 times more significant than a D9 or 152.

No... the perk system is fine if all you like is late war planes.  I understand HT's hesitation to go to an RPS of any kind tho.   It is the best od reasons, economic..    some will simply not fly if their P51 or whatever is not available even if it is for only a few days.  I think people would enjoy a few days of early war but.. I would not wish to force early war planes on anyone.

To me..  the perfect solution is an "area" arena with segregated areas all in the same arena.   A small early war area, large mid/late war area and small uber area.   Fair fights in any plne you liked would simply be a matter of choosing  the field that had it.

The only options are having only  a few planes being used in the arena with only later and more uber planes being considered for modeling (or like the hurricane, modeled but unused after the novelty wears off).  Or.. perking every plane in the arena on a sliding scale that is based on... What?   till you have a (an even more) confusing and unfair mess that is far from newbie friendly.
lazs