Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 1132 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Remember when...
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:21 AM »
There was the big terrain change and everything was so dark with no contrast that you didn't even know if your were near the ground or not? 

The terrain got sorted out but there were no mounds and vegitation was sparse at best?

They changed to the Miles sound system the first time and no one could adjust game sounds?

The new towns were implemented and it meant no one could capture a base anymore?

Those were just a few of the many releases that lit up the BBs in an uproar of whines and threats to quit the game and in each case once the issues were sorted out, usually within a few days, it was a change for the better.

I'm sure this change will also be for the better.  I haven't DL'd it yet though because I've learned over those prior releases to give it a few days to get the bugs worked out.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
There are loads of spoiled brats playing this game.

I think it's a cultural thing... It becomes increasingly evident that as soon as people start paying for something they expect it to work 100% of the time and that it should be cheaper, faster and better.

It's also incredibly easy to sit in front of a computer screen and demand that these people who we pay dare give us anything less than perfection. How dare they!

I saw guy ranting and raving on the BBS about the update and carrying on about being furious.... even though the update had not even been out for an hour at that stage....

He later changed his tune when he actually spoke to someone at HTC.

People think it appropriate to spout all manner of rubbish when they're not looking someone in the eye...

The fact of the matter is that HTC is a small operation and there will be problems that they can't throw a trouble-shooting department at in order to solve them.

Things take time when there are only a few people at the helm....

The most important thing that people need to realise is that this game is good, not in spite of but, because of these little glitches and hold ups...

Small, owner-operated and run businesses are becoming a thing of the past... it is the fact that HTC isn't like Activision or EA or whoever else out there churning out gumpf for masses of spotty faced, squeaky brats that makes this game what it is. Something different... something long term.

Bigger isn't always better and this game is one of those things.

Also, think about this.... being made to wait for something will piss the 'instant gratification' crowd off the most... The kind of people who don't want to climb for a good fight, don't want to RTB after a bomb run or take the time to actually climb out to bomb a CV so that they may escape their attack.

I don't about the rest of you... but as far as I'm concerned the game is a better place without guys like that.

And as a final thing to think about.... what percentage of your paid playing time per year is blocked by HTC caused errors...?
 ........ It's not much for me, I can tell you that. In fact, over the last few years I could count the number of times I've been unable to play because of HTC on both hands....

Less than 10 days out of over 1000 paid days? That's not a bad batting average.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:01:10 AM »
I fly plane... then pwn you...

Thats what I joined AH2 for. And thats why I keep playing. Eye candy is nice. And while I hate bugs... I KNOW that the dedicated staff at HTC, will sort it out in a timely fashion.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »
There was the big terrain change and everything was so dark with no contrast that you didn't even know if your were near the ground or not?  

Do you know what I do remember?

I remember being being yelled down on the BBS by a horde of players telling me there is no problem at all, that the new version is fine and that there are no problems on their screens. I was told I'm only a whiner, a crybaby who simply sucks at setting up his computer.

And that's with every major update. The "anti-whiner" crowd is as bad as the feet-stompers. Interestingly, many individuals switch sides from update to update, either pointing their fingers at the pathetic losers and telling them to "suck it up" - or stomping their feet and threatening to quit 5 seconds after a new version is out because "them" (furballers/basegrabbers/xboxcrowd/whatever) had made HiTech to finally ruin the game. ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:33:12 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »

I remember being being yelled down on the BBS by a horde of players telling me there is no problem at all, that the new version is fine and that there are no problems on their screens. I was told I'm only a whiner, a crybaby who simply sucks at setting up his computer.

And that's with every major update. The "anti-whiner" crowd is as bad as the feet-stompers. Interestingly, many individuals switch sides from update to update, either pointing their fingers at the pathetic losers and telling them to "suck it up" - or stomping their feet and threatening to quit 5 seconds after a new version is out because "them" (furballers/basegrabbers/xboxcrowd/whatever) had made HiTech to finally ruin the game. ;)

I'm not sure it's the 'crowds' that are the problem... rather disrespect and immaturity.

Regardless of the nature of the prevailing opinions, there will always be at least one person with no manners who will express their opinion in an inappropriate manner.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
every time there's a patch, there's a few issues. its always going to happen. instead of giving HTC some time to figure it out, we have this crowd of people with the lack of tolerance to understand that it will be fixed but its needs to be known by HTC first. when their systems get screwed up, they should be posting in the support section rather then in here.

the last couple of updates have cooked my setup. but i just rename it, reinstall the whole game and i'm off and running. in this version patch, the trick was to run it as administrator. its all good, but it took a couple of hours to discover on my part and by me reading the support forum.

people need to calm down, take a deep breath, and think and read things through. its not like we're all on our own. HTC wants us to fix the problems and to help them if possible with a quick resolution. why people insist on screaming right off the bat is beyond me! i think we're raising a society of "i want it now's!" and some day its going to backfire on us all!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »

They changed to the Miles sound system the first time and no one could adjust game sounds?

Personally, I thought the main problem here was that the sound audio wasn't properly balanced and some things were much louder than they should have been. I'm still of the opinion certain sounds should NOT be adjustable due to their exploitable nature.... (specifically the interior engine effect that often gets turned way down).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
every time there's a patch, there's a few issues. its always going to happen. instead of giving HTC some time to figure it out, we have this crowd of people with the lack of tolerance to understand that it will be fixed but its needs to be known by HTC first. when their systems get screwed up, they should be posting in the support section rather then in here.

the last couple of updates have cooked my setup. but i just rename it, reinstall the whole game and i'm off and running. in this version patch, the trick was to run it as administrator. its all good, but it took a couple of hours to discover on my part and by me reading the support forum.

people need to calm down, take a deep breath, and think and read things through. its not like we're all on our own. HTC wants us to fix the problems and to help them if possible with a quick resolution. why people insist on screaming right off the bat is beyond me! i think we're raising a society of "i want it now's!" and some day its going to backfire on us all!

I very much agree  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
There are loads of spoiled brats playing this game.

I think it's a cultural thing... It becomes increasingly evident that as soon as people start paying for something they expect it to work 100% of the time and that it should be cheaper, faster and better.

It's also incredibly easy to sit in front of a computer screen and demand that these people who we pay dare give us anything less than perfection. How dare they!

I saw guy ranting and raving on the BBS about the update and carrying on about being furious.... even though the update had not even been out for an hour at that stage....

He later changed his tune when he actually spoke to someone at HTC.

People think it appropriate to spout all manner of rubbish when they're not looking someone in the eye...

The fact of the matter is that HTC is a small operation and there will be problems that they can't throw a trouble-shooting department at in order to solve them.

Things take time when there are only a few people at the helm....

The most important thing that people need to realise is that this game is good, not in spite of but, because of these little glitches and hold ups...

Small, owner-operated and run businesses are becoming a thing of the past... it is the fact that HTC isn't like Activision or EA or whoever else out there churning out gumpf for masses of spotty faced, squeaky brats that makes this game what it is. Something different... something long term.

Bigger isn't always better and this game is one of those things.

Also, think about this.... being made to wait for something will piss the 'instant gratification' crowd off the most... The kind of people who don't want to climb for a good fight, don't want to RTB after a bomb run or take the time to actually climb out to bomb a CV so that they may escape their attack.

I don't about the rest of you... but as far as I'm concerned the game is a better place without guys like that.

And as a final thing to think about.... what percentage of your paid playing time per year is blocked by HTC caused errors...?
 ........ It's not much for me, I can tell you that. In fact, over the last few years I could count the number of times I've been unable to play because of HTC on both hands....

Less than 10 days out of over 1000 paid days? That's not a bad batting average.

Some of these guys need to seriously remember what it was like when you had to drop in a quarter into a machine for about 5 minutes worth of playing time. or for 3 lives.

Imagine how much they would be spending if it were like the old arcade days when as I said you only got 3 lives for a quarter.

Next time anyone wants to throw a temper tantrum about paying to be a beta tester.
Count up your deaths over the course of a month divide by 3 and multiply by .25.
Then see how much money they would be spending. For most people it sure as hell will be alot more then $15.

And that is at 1980 prices. Most video games were up to $1.00 per play by the last time I was in an arcade

Then consider that you can play this game 24/7 365 days of the year.

Even with the "beta testing" and occasional glitches
$15 per month is a flipping bargain.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

That not just the case with new updates. Look at the forum as a whole.
Anytime there is a complaint about updates,how things are done. there are people who agree or having the same problems. And then there is the antiwhining crowd.

People will always have complaints or problems. For each individual 99% of the time they are legitimate concerns to that individual.

The problems arise then the complaints either arent put forth in a mature manner or with those who view any complaint they dont agree with as a whine.

As two examples. Caps/eny complaints. For the people that complaint about them and even put forth a reasonable argument about them without the foot stomping. Someone has to come in and call them a whiner. Now for the people complaining. they are very real, very legitimate complaints or dislikes. As paying customers they have every right to complain. So long as they put forth such complaints in a reasonable manner.

Any time someone has a complaint, and it doesn't matter how civilly they present their complaint. Someone jumps on them as being a whiner because they dont agree. As though calling them a whiner is going to somehow make their complaint less legitimate.

On the other hand we have as an example the new updates. and instead of putting forth concerns in a reasonable manner. We see true footstomping full blown tempertantrums.

Amusingly enough. by some of the very same people who often call other people whiners on a regular basis.

Anyway. its always interesting to see that one person calling another a whiner when they dont agree. and that same person can be called a whiner when they have a complaint or concern.

I have yet to see the person who hasnt called someone else a whiner over someones concerns. And not be called a whiner when they had concerns.

If you or somoene else has a problem,concern, or complaint. those concerns etc are very real for each person just as your concerns etc are real to you.

Where the whines come in is in how they are presented
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:30:50 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »

hehe the bugs will come and go. The issue to some is the problems induced by programming... ie the complete change in controls. Now folks have to break habits then relearn a new method. People get comfortable and many do not like change, even the one's who say they do.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:47:15 AM »
  First Impressions are important. People are not whining when they air thier greivences in a respectible way. I "whined" about a particular problem I had and others came to my aid with suggestions. That is how it should be. We are customers and do not have to sit back and be silent.
   I'm sure HTC looks at the feedback so they can address problems with the new software. 
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
i think we're raising a society of "i want it now's!" and some day its going to backfire on us all!

It will backfire on us, by 2016. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
The funny thing is I've been the whiner in the past.  The major terrain change was one of those occasions and the other was the capturable base order experiment.  I guess at the time I felt I needed to express my opinions in the strongest possible way and I'm sure others feel that way with each major release.

On the other hand there have been times that, while others experienced problems I had none.  In that case I just gave HT a big  :aok.

The important thing to be considered by that first group is that despite your current issues HT will have them fixed quickly and in time you'll actually come to appreciate the changes.  I expect a patch later today at which point I'll DL and become one of the testors.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
.... (specifically the interior engine effect that often gets turned way down).
If I couldn't turn the engine down to a whisper, I am not sure I would play.  Hearing the engine howling in my ear for a 2 hour FSO would be annoying...  Now I wouldn't mind if they held exterior noises at the same level with or without the engine turned down which I think is your point.  If I choose to shut off my engine sound, I still shouldn't be able to hear that picking 51 approaching my 6...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org