Author Topic: Anyone with a Dodge truck experience?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone with a Dodge truck experience?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »
I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4. Loved that truck but the mpg was killing me later on. Why you could only get them with 4:10s was such a bone head move.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
Ford makes good trucks, the f150 series should be perfect for you
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
Ford or Chevy from those years, I wouldn't trust the Dodge trannys.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:35 AM »
I'm looking to buy a 02-03 1500 with a 4.7. Will this thing tow a two horse trailer? How about a 3800lbs car on a flatbed?
The diesel is out of my price range, but do I really need a 5.7 for towing? Do I need a 2500 over a 1500 whatever the difference is?
How durable are those gasoline engines?
I'm looking around $16k, 60k miles max.

I never owned a dodge. The truck/engine combo you describe will tow the horse trailer and car trailer. It will be fine as long as you don't pull that often. Even less when in hilly terrain.

There is much more than engine ability when it comes to towing.The 1500 is a half ton capacity vehicle. The 2500 is a 3/4 ton towing capacity. They have a different ability of weight in bed or on trailer. They differ in trailer tongue weight ability too.

The 2500 has heavier springs and axles and other items.

You can improve the 1500s capability with booster springs and/or airbags. You can make the truck haul more to an extent but you may have axle/seal problems if you overload it too much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:58:55 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:49:01 PM »
My mom drives a 2005 2500 w/ diesel and she gets about 22mph highway, and can pull a 4 horse trailer without any issue, or it can tow a 18 foot flatbed with 120 bales of hay on it. Never been in the shop for anything major.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
My 2006 towing guide lists the 1500 dodge with the 4.7 to be able to handle a pretty wide range of loads. The lowest rating was 3800 lbs all the way up to 7400 lbs towing. It all depends on what options are in the truck as to what load it is rated to tow. You need to let me know what transmission (auto or standard) gear ratio and if it has a towing package as an installed option and what body style (extended cab or single seat) to narrow it down. Of course this is also a later model data range I am looking at.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
Engine size is one thing.  Braking has been the one thing no one has mentioned. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 02:32:17 PM »
Personally, I would do the Cummins. If you look around and shop right you can easily do a Diesel for less then 16k. As long as the body is in good shape the vehicle will run forever if its a diesel.

back to your OP. I dont know what transmission your lookin for, but deffinitly try finding a Manual. if you can find a 6-speed get it, 5 speed should do it though. Although im not sure if Dodge makes a 1500 with a standard....

:salute Good luck sir!
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »

i skipped over that, as with my fords, i've never needed anything outside of stock brakes pulling my car trailer. i did however just buy an enclosed trailer, and will more than likely install the electric brake controller for that one.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
Don't be limited to Dodge. Chevy and Ford have great trucks in the 00s range. My 03 2500 4 door is still running great.

It's a workhorse and something like this or the equiv would be perfect for your needs. We have pulled lots of stuff with it over distances. Worst part is the gas mileage with the bigger trucks.

Edit: Plus they're mean lookin :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:48:32 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »
Don't be limited to Dodge. Chevy and Ford have great trucks in the 00s range. My 03 2500 4 door is still running great.
(Image removed from quote.)
It's a workhorse and something like this or the equiv would be perfect for your needs. We have pulled lots of stuff with it over distances. Worst part is the gas mileage with the bigger trucks.

Edit: Plus they're mean lookin :)
Exactly why you dont buy Chevy  :lol
Ford is good..but the only good thing about them is their Powerstroke...and the new ones aint what the 7.3l were.
right now dodge has the truck world by the nuts....
HogDweeb

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »

I assumed any truck he got would have the towing package with trailer brake controller and "tow/haul" mode on the tranny (uses the tranny to help braking down steep hills) if not then yes, you need to definitely get a brake controller installed.  Also like I mentioned an equalizer hitch is a worthwhile investment if you plan on towing much, it will take a lot of load off the rear springs, and make the truck ride much better.

Personally, I would do the Cummins. If you look around and shop right you can easily do a Diesel for less then 16k. As long as the body is in good shape the vehicle will run forever if its a diesel.

back to your OP. I dont know what transmission your lookin for, but deffinitly try finding a Manual. if you can find a 6-speed get it, 5 speed should do it though. Although im not sure if Dodge makes a 1500 with a standard....

:salute Good luck sir!

The Cummins diesel is great, unfortunately you can't get it in a 1500, and the 2500 is really overkill for what he's talking about towing.  Also it would be very difficult to find a standard transmission in any late model truck, in the past 7-8 years if you've wanted a new pickup with a manual tranny you've had to special order it.

You don't need a manual though, the newer automatics are just as good or better for towing then a manual, just keep a close eye on the ATF and service it regularly as the fluid will heat up and break down quicker under heavy load.   (If the ATF starts to turn brown time to change it pronto)       Even many of the newer semi tractors (Volvo, Freightliner, Kenworth) come with automatics now.

PS. For you brand loyalists out there, why even be limited to Dodge, Chevy or Ford.  All he needs is a half-ton pickup, and Nissan and Toyota now make excellent half-tons as well.  I'm not a brand loyalist, they all make great trucks. 

FYIW, my father has an '04 Dodge Cummins 2500, my brother has an '03 Ford F-350 Powerstroke and my workplace had a '05 Chevy 3500 Duramax.  I've driven all 3 of them quite a lot, and they all are great trucks.  Some are stronger in certain areas then others, but it's mostly a matter of preference.  eg, the Powerstroke will do high speed interstate cruising better, but the Cummins will tow up steep grades better, and is more fuel efficient.  The Isuzu/Duramax engine in the Chevy is great to, and the Allison tranny in the Chevy is the best transmission, but I don't like the interior of the Chevy.  If I were to magically design my perfect diesel pickup it would be a mix of all three... with a Caterpillar engine  :aok

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
I assumed any truck he got would have the towing package with trailer brake controller and "tow/haul" mode on the tranny (uses the tranny to help braking down steep hills) if not then yes, you need to definitely get a brake controller installed.  Also like I mentioned an equalizer hitch is a worthwhile investment if you plan on towing much, it will take a lot of load off the rear springs, and make the truck ride much better.

The Cummins diesel is great, unfortunately you can't get it in a 1500, and the 2500 is really overkill for what he's talking about towing. sadly your right. Also it would be very difficult to find a standard transmission in any late model truck, in the past 7-8 years if you've wanted a new pickup with a manual tranny you've had to special order it.Dodge still makes a Manual tranny standard. you have an option of manual OR automatic.. one more reason to stay with dodge :bolt:

You don't need a manual though, the newer automatics are just as good or better for towing then a manual, just keep a close eye on the ATF and service it regularly as the fluid will heat up and break down quicker under heavy load.   (If the ATF starts to turn brown time to change it pronto) more work then required.. Manuals get better fuel economy too      Even many of the newer semi tractors (Volvo, Freightliner, Kenworth) come with automatics now.

PS. For you brand loyalists out there, why even be limited to Dodge, Chevy or Ford.  All he needs is a half-ton pickup, and Nissan and Toyota now make excellent half-tons as well.  I'm not a brand loyalist, they all make great trucks. 

FYIW, my father has an '04 Dodge Cummins 2500, my brother has an '03 Ford F-350 Powerstroke and my workplace had a '05 Chevy 3500 Duramax.  I've driven all 3 of them quite a lot, and they all are great trucks.  Some are stronger in certain areas then others, but it's mostly a matter of preference.  eg, the Powerstroke will do high speed interstate cruising better, but the Cummins will tow up steep grades better, and is more fuel efficient.  The Isuzu/Duramax engine in the Chevy is great to, and the Allison tranny in the Chevy is the best transmission, but I don't like the interior of the Chevy.  If I were to magically design my perfect diesel pickup it would be a mix of all three... with a Caterpillar engine  :aok
Bold says it all.
HogDweeb

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »
Exactly why you dont buy Chevy  :lol
Ford is good..but the only good thing about them is their Powerstroke...and the new ones aint what the 7.3l were.
right now dodge has the truck world by the nuts....

You are smoking some good stuff.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
You are smoking some good stuff.
why do you say? not lookin for an argument, just curious.
HogDweeb