Author Topic: Why the asymmetrical loadout on the Bf110G?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Why the asymmetrical loadout on the Bf110G?
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »
So why is the Bf110G listed as having asymmetrical loadouts? I had to check to see if this was a quirk of AH or not, but apparently other sources mention it, too!

400rds 20mm on the left MG151/20 and 350 20mm on the right MG151/20.
120 30mm on the right MK108 and 135 30mm on the right MK108.

Why?

Why would they do that? Why not even the loads for both guns so the firing time is identical?

That makes no sense.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Why the asymmetrical loadout on the Bf110G?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
some other equipment stole ammo space for one side?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
I don't think that's the case with the MG151/20s. I know it's not for the MK108s, because those store the ammo in the nose!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
I wonder if the Germans just weren't hung up on symmetry.   Check out the Blohm und Voss BV 141:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
Nah, there was a reason for that (it was an observation plane). Name any other fighter with an intentionally asymmetrical ammo loadout, eh?  :P

There may be a reason, but it has to be a reason, not "just 'cause"  :D

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
You know if it is a German design there was a reason for it.  I've looked at photos of ground crew loading cannons on both sides of the 110s nose, and I don't SEE any extra avionics or anything that looks like it would take up room.  The asymmetry may be due to the ammo feed from the left and eject from the right - it looks like the belt feeds in from the underneath left side ammo cans, but everything ejecting out of the right side of the guns looks to be coming straight out. 

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »
I have no idea why they did that, my guess would be because they could?  If you can cram a little more ammo in there keeping thing symmetrical seems like a slightly silly reason not to do it especially if the guns and ammo are on the center line and not upsetting the CG.  What I've always wondered was why the Beaufighter had 4 machine guns in the right wing and only two in the left.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
What I've always wondered was why the Beaufighter had 4 machine guns in the right wing and only two in the left.

Because of the landing lights, of course!!

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/krustacious/Beaufighter-cutaway3a.jpg

But that doesn't explain the bf110G :)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
for the taters, I am not sure but it could have something to do with the gun cam being in between them, and for the mg 151's it was just because they had more room to put more ammo in for the second gun, no smoke and mirror tricks to it, it was just one of those rare times in history where they do it just because they can  :)
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:24:33 AM »
Nah, there was a reason for that (it was an observation plane). Name any other fighter with an intentionally asymmetrical ammo loadout, eh?  :P

There may be a reason, but it has to be a reason, not "just 'cause"  :D

"Hans!"

"What, Franz?"

"I have zis idea!"

"Ja?"

"Vee must put asymmetrical loadout on ze cannons on ze bf-110!"

"vhy must vee doo zis?"

"It vill drive Krusy CRAZY!"

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
 :rofl

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
Without looking at all I'd guess an attempt to counter engine torque? The C202 and 205 have one wing longer than the other for this reason too. Just a shot in the dark.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
It's centrally loaded, though, so it wouldn't work as a counter balance.

I guess the answer is "because they could" but honestly I was expecting something more logical.  :P

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
The guns themselves are mounted asymmetrically in the nose of the 110.  I found a good photo of it - the right side 30mm has a shorter barrel and is mounted further forward in the nose.  The photo is from the front, so reverse your angles here - the ammo feeds from the left and the brass drop out the chute on the right.  There is a box of some sort behind the right side 30mm.  It looks like the right side ammo box would have to be smaller since it is mounted further forward in the nose as it narrows.  Question: it looks like they just dump the 30mm brass out the right side chute and down under the nose and out, but can anyone confirm this?  I don't see any way they could recover the brass in the nose but that doesn't mean that there isn't some clever German scheme for doing it. 

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
I think the difference in space is negligible.

You are right that they dump straight out. On the night figther version they had guides/deflectors to keep them going down as they ejected to keep them out of the radar or prop arc or something. You don't see it as much on the day fighters. On the photo there, the left gun's outboard side is the ejection chute. I imagine, based on exit chutes, that the right gun is reversed so that both feed from the center and eject to the outside.

I have seen that photo and others as well. Interesting to note: The mounting rails for both guns are actually side by side. The one gun is just slid back further on the mounting rail. Had the LW came up with a different loading system, the guns could have been easily placed parallel (instead of staggered)