Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 91076 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
The Westland Whirlwind should be extremely far ahead of the Catalina.  The Catalina simply has no role in AH and none of the proposed roles for it are good ideas or useful.  This includes scenario use.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
Well I agree with you that wikipedia can be cobblers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Whirlwind_(fighter)

but it does say it ended service in 1943 and only 2 squadrons flew it. 6000 Beaufighters were built, I'm not sure if that includes the DAP Beaufighter. Still I don't disagree, it's a lovely plane and would look good in AH.

A lot of the criteria which players bicker over about which should be included before something else for historical significance or any other criteria is, well, simply player's opinion and assertion. One look at the current planeset shows that isn't the only or even necessarily a massively significant factor. This game's historical aspect is rather undermined for instance by most of the gameplay having allied planes fight allied planes and so on (events aside).

I'd rather have the Whirlwind than the Beaufighter because I think I'd have more fun in it and enjoy seeing how competitive I could make it against 'better' fighters. That said I hope you also get your Beaufighter  :salute

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #392 on: August 24, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
I am pretty sure that in a duel the Whirlwind would dominate a Beaufighter.  It is probably a better fighter than any twin engined fighter in the game other than the P-38s and Mossie for duels.  Might even be better than the P-38G and Mossie for duels, but I suspect their speed and climb rates would overpower it.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #393 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
I am pretty sure that in a duel the Whirlwind would dominate a Beaufighter.  It is probably a better fighter than any twin engined fighter in the game other than the P-38s and Mossie for duels.  Might even be better than the P-38G and Mossie for duels, but I suspect their speed and climb rates would overpower it.

I didn't mean to compare the Whirlwind to the Beaufighter Karnak, just meant I'd rather have a quirky fighter than an attack aircraft, personally.

I think my longest proper shot in a Mossie was about 1000 yards which is 3000 feet (I'm thinking UP here) and the guns are even more densely mounted. Short clip of course but you'd have to say that's a dangerous weapons layout at a longer range than standard?

Perhaps wishful thinking. Anyway, despite the popularity of this thread and the magnificent contributions and the potential of something completely different, I don't rate the chances of us actually getting the Whirlwind very highly :cry :cry :cry

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
No, probably not.

I do suspect we'll see a Beaufighter sooner rather than later though.  The last vote placed like so:

1) Me410
2) Yak-3
3) Beaufighter
4) Meteor

There is a funny thing about the planes in the #1 and #2 spots.....

As to threads, there is a Beaufighter thread that is more than twice as long if I recall correctly.

For what its worth, I'd personally get more use out of the Whirlwind.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
No, probably not.

I do suspect we'll see a Beaufighter sooner rather than later though.  The last vote placed like so:

1) Me410
2) Yak-3
3) Beaufighter
4) Meteor

There is a funny thing about the planes in the #1 and #2 spots.....

As to threads, there is a Beaufighter thread that is more than twice as long if I recall correctly.

For what its worth, I'd personally get more use out of the Whirlwind.

I found the first Whirlwind Wishlist thread also dated about ten years ago. About the same time as the first Beaufighter thread.

Well it's a Wishlist, we can still wish and I think this is an epic thread  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #396 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
Don't vote Hitech out dropping this thing on us as the HTC random choice for whatever reasons he has decided we need something. Not to insult this audience but, look at the Brewster and the years of effort by a few. Then one day there it was. The Whirlwind will probably be a watch what you ask for, it may not be what you expected moment. He111 comes to mind.

After such a long post over this ride. The posts in the first week after it's introduced should be epic. I have to admit from a LWMA standpoint. I'm not sure what you would use it for, other than to showcase your real expertise and skill for translating ACM prowess into any ride you choose. That would be worth seeing. I doubt this will be a beginners ride.

As for the Beau. Historically it has a good place waiting for it in the game. Maybe your bribe deliveries aren't making it to the new office in Ft. Worth........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
I think we all know what to expect from the Whirlwind, it's an airframe introduced in 1940 and not developed any further, so it will certainly struggle in the LWMA. I think behind the Beaufighter it would be an interesting addition.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #398 on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
He111 is pretty much exactly what I expected of it.  So is the Me410.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #399 on: October 03, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA!

:rock :rock :rock

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #400 on: October 03, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
 :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #401 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Slow beast. Only 360 mph.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »
Your K-4 is slow compared to later aircraft.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
I think we all know what to expect from the Whirlwind, it's an airframe introduced in 1940 and not developed any further, so it will certainly struggle in the LWMA.

If you mean it won't be the ride of choice for runners, you're right. It will also "struggle" in that the ammo count will mean those with poor aim will be bingo sooner rather than later.

Beyond that, I don't see it "struggling" any more than the Brewster, Ki-43, or Hurri IIc. Excellent turning ability, excellent low speed handling, deadly lethal cannon package, great views, robust airframe with twin engine survivability.... think of it as a small, slower Mossie that turns like a Brewster.

It will be a challenging aircraft in the LWMA, and you won't see many of the "avoid a fight at all costs" flyers in them.

I'm totally OK with that.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #404 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »
I'll wing with you Reaper, if and when it arrives  :banana:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-