Author Topic: Westland Whirlwind  (Read 91131 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Westland Whirlwind
« Reply #510 on: May 03, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
With 60 RPG no one is going to be hosing in it for long, what's that about 6 seconds worth?

Compared to a Hurricane Mk IIC the Whirlwind is about 20 mph faster, has much better all-round visibility, better gun placement but only 2/3 the ammo. Its also got about a 10% better power loading which should help climb rate but with flaps-in a 25% worse wing loading. With the Fowler flaps out it increases the wing area enough so that the Whirlwind would then have only about a 15% worse wing loading. Fowler flaps should help the low speed lift more than by just increasing wing area but by how much is anybody's guess.

So I reckon it would a slightly faster, better climbing, maybe slightly worse turning Hurri IIC that you can see out of but with a short clip and not much range. An interesting plane and probably not an MA hangar queen but its not going to get everyone out of their P-51s.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:49:51 PM by Greebo »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #511 on: May 03, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
Sounds like an equal to the 110c, w better cannons..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #512 on: May 03, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »
It will be interesting to how Hitech implements the slow speed handling with the flaps and slats. In fact the comparison to the Hurri is relevant but, after the Brewster and Yak3, who knows until the gamey numpties get their hands on it. I bet ghi will be the first to find a way.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #513 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:42 PM »
Firing only two guns at a time would help save ammo.

It works in the Hurri 2, probably even better paired close like on the Whirlwind.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #514 on: May 05, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Will it be as craptacular as the other two engine "fighters"?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
Like the 262 ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
what are you suggesting?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
He must have voted for the Me410 thinking it would be the uber twin engined 109 of 109's with a mondo gun package to craptastic on everyone. Remember all the broken hearts after it was released?

Twin engined fighters in this game have small followings of players who have succeeded in discovering how to make them dance. The rest of the player base ups in one as a insta tower ticket. The craptastic label pretty much covers their assessment of the amount of interest they have in learning how to make them dance.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #518 on: May 07, 2016, 02:20:28 PM »
That is absurd. The mosquito and P-38 rule supreme in the MA if there is half a competent pilot behind the wheel. Even the 410 can be dangerous in the hands of a dedicated pilot as Torquilla demonstrated - repeatedly. It is true that in the hands of someone who flew nothing other than La7s, these planes are like buses. The terrains of AH are littered with pieces of La7s that thought the mosquito is a bus.

The Whirlwind will make people cry.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #519 on: May 07, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »

It's making me cry right now that we don't have it  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #520 on: May 07, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »
 I seem to recall the slats were wired shut?   I could be mistaken so plz correct me,if it's true I wonder if HTC would bother with modeling them.

Thoughts???

:salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #521 on: May 08, 2016, 12:42:14 AM »
I seem to recall the slats were wired shut?   I could be mistaken so plz correct me,if it's true I wonder if HTC would bother with modeling them.

Thoughts???

That was technically a field mod when they moved to Whirlybomber mode. Same business with the 109: there was a wiggle as they opened. There is an erroneous report that the slats made the wings snap off. That originates in a post-war 'journalistic' article. There's no evidence that that ever hapened and the Whirlwind operated for a long time with the Handley Page Slats fully operational.

Certainly those that fought and died in the channel dash were pre-Whirybomber, full slats.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #522 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »
Hope your not talking about the 110 and 410. Although the 110 flies circles around its older brothers
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #523 on: May 09, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »
That is absurd. The mosquito and P-38 rule supreme in the MA if there is half a competent pilot behind the wheel. Even the 410 can be dangerous in the hands of a dedicated pilot as Torquilla demonstrated - repeatedly. It is true that in the hands of someone who flew nothing other than La7s, these planes are like buses. The terrains of AH are littered with pieces of La7s that thought the mosquito is a bus.

The P-38 and the Mossie are the best twin engine fighters of the war. The 110 is also at the top of th elist. People think NEW will better than what we have, but it isn't in this case, it's a step backwards.

That why the P-63 needs to ahead of the Whirlwind. The P-63 is the P-39 upgrade for Late war. It is missing from the plane set. and poeple in Late war [by far the most popular Arena] will fly it because the P-39 can;t cut it there.

The Whirlwind will be used by a few people in early war and see littel action in Late war where they can just grab a missie or a Lightning.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2016, 09:37:39 AM »
The P-63 saw very little, if any, action in WW2. The Whirlwind only equipped a couple of squadrons but was used extensively by them for a period of two and a half years.

It is also a very different aircraft to any other twin in the game. Its AH equivalents are planes like the Hurri IIC or Spit V, not the Mossie or P-38.