Author Topic: Lowering landing gear...  (Read 792 times)

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
Lowering landing gear...
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Since losing landing gear doesn't change the plane's weight, does it change the CG (in the game) when its lowered in a turn fight? (I know it helps reducing the airspeed). Are there any advantages of changing the CG?
<S> Fud
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
Re: Lowering landing gear...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »
I don't know what CG stands for, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason you'd lower your gear in combat would be to create more drag. Perhaps if you're good enough you can use it to knock somebody's wings off like in that Flyboys movie?  :joystick:

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »
Center of gravity  :neener:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I don't know what CG stands for, but yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason you'd lower your gear in combat would be to create more drag. Perhaps if you're good enough you can use it to knock somebody's wings off like in that Flyboys movie?  :joystick:
It has been proven that gears can kill in the ww1 arena
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
Since losing landing gear doesn't change the plane's weight, does it change the CG (in the game) when its lowered in a turn fight? (I know it helps reducing the airspeed). Are there any advantages of changing the CG?
<S> Fud

Some planes are designed to make use of lowering gear to slow down e.g. they act as dive brakes on the F4u.
On other planes you may simply go overspeed and rip the gear off!

There should be two effects on lowering your gear. Increase in drag and due to the offset area of the drag a nose down pitch. If the gear retracts in the fore/aft direction then  extended it  would push your CG forward a hint. If as with most fighters, it retracts sideways, I would not expect any noticable shift in the CG. Other than the effect of drag to slow down, I have not noticed if the other affects are modelled in game, as slowing down also has the effect of a nose drop in most aircraft.

The way you burn off your fuel will affect your CG depending on the tank location. (e.g. losing fuel in one wing tank will shift your CG sideways) Tanks fore and aft will affect your useful CG most.

As a rule of thumb, moving the CG rearward results in a greater sensitivity to pitch making the aircraft more unstable. That can be useful in ACM a you might know, modern fighters are so unstable they need a computer to input the pilots stick requirements. It may make your aircraft more vunerable to spinning as well.  A dramatic forward shift of the CG has the effect of converting your aircaft into a lawn dart unless there is a loss of flying surfaces with it such as when you loose your tail!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:24:10 PM by Blagard »

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
Landing gear that retracts sideways is usually very near to the main spar, which tends to be close to the 1/4 chord  position on wings.  The 1/4 chord position is also, usually, pretty close to the Center of Gravity.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:15:04 AM »
It has been proven that gears can kill in the ww1 arena

The damage model in the WW1 arena is different than in the main arenas.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »

As a rule of thumb, moving the CG rearward results in a greater sensitivity to pitch making the aircraft more unstable.

Actually, moving an aircrafts CG forward make it a MORE stable while the moving it aft make is more unstable and makes stall recovery more difficult.
~BParker~
SHADE