Author Topic: unperk the spit14  (Read 3327 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: unperk the spit14
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
Give it 5eny no perks...the plane is great when flown right.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
People fly the XVI because the XIV is perked. I think I like it the way it is. -1

People do not fly the Spitfire XVI because the Spitfire XIV is perked.  If the XIV was unperked, the majority would still gravitate towards the XVI.  Why?  Because the XVI is far easier to fly than the XIV.

IMO, the XIV should be unperked because I believe unperked it will not unbalance the game play if it was. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
I think part of the problem is folks fly the Griffon XIV like a Merlin powered Spit.  Torque is the other direction and it's heavier.  It was a great climbing plane and would be used more effectively as a BnZ bird then a turn fighter like it's Merlin powered brothers.

The Mk XIV is also hurt more than most aircraft by AH's 2x fuel consumption.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
It wouldn't matter if they unperked it... it doesn't have huge guns and it takes more finesse to fly, which means it won't see much use either way.

Although, I have to say it is better since they change the fuel/load on the Spit14, it is more viable but far from perk worthy when compared to other late war monsters.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
Those who want it to stay perked ought to advocate having its fuel changed from 100 octane to 150 octane and its max boost from +18lbs to +21lbs to make it actually worth being perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
All unperking the Spit XIV will get us is a new entrant for the 'pick and run' club championship (currently held by the P-51D).  I think the mild perk is warranted.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
All unperking the Spit XIV will get us is a new entrant for the 'pick and run' club championship (currently held by the P-51D).  I think the mild perk is warranted.

P51 is faster below 12k
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:59 PM »

Pick run champ in my opinion is the 190d. [\hijack]

FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Pick run champ in my opinion is the 190d. [\hijack]
really? mine goes to the C205. [/hijack]

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »

It's outclassed in that category by the 51D, the 190D, the La7, even the Typhoon has some better traits for that in some respects...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
The only time the Spit14 needs to really be respected is above 20k, otherwise it is hardly more than the other Spits down low.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
I agree the 14 should not be perked. Plenty of unperked rides with the same of better gun package. The thing is fast but that really only comes into play up high.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »
Pick run champ in my opinion is the 190d.

I agree.  It was once the P51D, but the 190D is the current "pick and extend" preferred flavor.  For the record, I personally believe that this behavior is more detrimental to the game then HOs.  Unfortunately, the scoring system seems to reward folks who only attack with advantage and extend (run) the second that that advantage is in doubt.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
The Mk XIV is also hurt more than most aircraft by AH's 2x fuel consumption.

Hadn't thought about that, but yeah it sure would be.  With the arrival of the XII the 30 gallon slipper tank was mandatory just to start making the range similar to the Merlin versions.  The XIV suffered the same problem with range although it did have the leading edge tanks of the VIII.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
Unfortunately, the scoring system seems to reward folks who only attack with advantage and extend (run) the second that that advantage is in doubt.

Emphasis on seems;)

Often K/D is equated with score and rank, but it's mostly overrated. All categories 5 sub-categories are weighted the same. The more cautious a player is flying, the more & longer he extends, the worse his K/H will be.
I do put an emphasis on surviving, but that prevents me from ever getting the top fighter rank. If I would give up some K/D for a gain in K/H, by flying more aggressive and fighting more often from a less advantageous position I could improve in terms of rank... :joystick:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman