Author Topic: The Immortal Mind  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The Immortal Mind
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:53 AM »
Hello Aces High BBS!

NOTE: I took this post from my own work on another thread because I felt that it didn't quite fit with the thread's idea.   

I am a self-taught philosopher (and have been described as such by numerous friends and family members).   Here is a short treatise that I have composed regarding death, thought and immortality:

The Immortal Mind
By Penguin

I think, therefore I am.  However, death is the cessastion of all biolgical processes, including thought.  Therefore I will cease to be when I cease to think; the cessation of thought is death.  Therefore, if I die, then I cease to be.  This raises the question, why should I wish to be?

To ask oneself why one wishes to be is equivalent to asking the meaning of life.  To ascertain the meaning of life requires thought.  The meaning of life, in and of itself, is a thought or thoughts.  If I cease to think, then I cannot ascertain the meaning of life, for it requires thought.  Furthermore, the enjoyment of life has the same prerequisite as the the meaning of life- thought.

One can derive from this logic that in order to enjoy and ascertain the meaning of life, one must think.  If death is the cessation of thought, then it is the cessation of the enjoyment and meaning of life.  Therefore, without death, life would continue to provide enjoyment and meaning.

If death ends the enjoyment and meaning of life, then life must provide enjoyment and meaning.  Therefore, I do not wish to die because if I were to then I would not be able to enjoy myself and ascertain the meaning of life.  With that established, I will now describe my conclusion in detail.

Enjoyment- endless life is equivalent to endless enjoyment, such as food, sex, art, science and adventure.  If I were able to live endlessly, I would be able to taste the most delicious food, make love with the loveliest women, appreciate the highest art, enjoy the benefits of the most advanced science, and go on the greatest adventures.

Meaning- enless life enables to ascertainment of its meaning via such lengthy research that its meaning can be prised out by trial and error if nothing else.  The endless debates, though tiring, would make my information infinite, allowing me to distill the meaning of life down to an essence.

To boil my point down to an essence: To live is to think, to live infinitely is to achieve infinite wisdom.

-Penguin

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: The Immortal Mind
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:52 AM »
It's just not that complicated.

Listen more, talk less.  Pay attention.  You'll get it eventually.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline mijoieau

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »
I have to say i read the first line then i just copied and pasted my last forum post thats only 10 minutes old:

Great post Penguin BUT:
Once you get a lot older the copy and paste stuff that may make you feel smart may work out in your favor (NOT) BUT first live the stories like leave home first and get a life then work hard, have a family and do it with style or you will just end up in uni talking crap to people that dont listen as they also talk crap they haven't done or couldn't as they are stuck tiring to look better than people who lived.
Forkit

BTW you have to get a grip on the real world as if you dont and you go outside its going to be a very big shock.

Now dont get me wrong at all i am really tiring to help as my little brother was just like you and i dont want to tell the story but it doesnt end well and even now 20 years later hes a lost cause but he always has a opinion that apparent counts with 3 uni degrees that mean nothing and makes no money but that was cool and i couldn't care less till he had a kid! now its not cool just pure vego save the tools of the world loser but hes no dad or husband, hes no better than a bun that talks crap as his old mother bails his life out of total unpreventable crap.
All he had to do was STFU and he would have been ok but after 30 + years he believes his BS the BS bites not just him but everyone around him. FYI hes a know it all.
Forkit
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:09:43 AM by mijoieau »

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
I have to say +1 to what Guppy said, but then again I think thinking about these topics is sort of obligatory for teens (at least I think it should be, otherwise I'm screwed ;)).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »
Hello Aces High BBS!

NOTE: I took this post from my own work on another thread because I felt that it didn't quite fit with the thread's idea.   

I am a self-taught philosopher (and have been described as such by numerous friends and family members).   Here is a short treatise that I have composed regarding death, thought and immortality:

The Immortal Mind
By Penguin

I think, therefore I am.  However, death is the cessastion of all biolgical processes, including thought.  Therefore I will cease to be when I cease to think; the cessation of thought is death.  Therefore, if I die, then I cease to be.  This raises the question, why should I wish to be?

To ask oneself why one wishes to be is equivalent to asking the meaning of life.  To ascertain the meaning of life requires thought.  The meaning of life, in and of itself, is a thought or thoughts.  If I cease to think, then I cannot ascertain the meaning of life, for it requires thought.  Furthermore, the enjoyment of life has the same prerequisite as the the meaning of life- thought.

One can derive from this logic that in order to enjoy and ascertain the meaning of life, one must think.  If death is the cessation of thought, then it is the cessation of the enjoyment and meaning of life.  Therefore, without death, life would continue to provide enjoyment and meaning.

If death ends the enjoyment and meaning of life, then life must provide enjoyment and meaning.  Therefore, I do not wish to die because if I were to then I would not be able to enjoy myself and ascertain the meaning of life.  With that established, I will now describe my conclusion in detail.

Enjoyment- endless life is equivalent to endless enjoyment, such as food, sex, art, science and adventure.  If I were able to live endlessly, I would be able to taste the most delicious food, make love with the loveliest women, appreciate the highest art, enjoy the benefits of the most advanced science, and go on the greatest adventures.

Meaning- enless life enables to ascertainment of its meaning via such lengthy research that its meaning can be prised out by trial and error if nothing else.  The endless debates, though tiring, would make my information infinite, allowing me to distill the meaning of life down to an essence.

To boil my point down to an essence: To live is to think, to live infinitely is to achieve infinite wisdom.

-Penguin

dont forget to give credit to those that you quoted
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
     The axiom of my treatise came from Descartes; "Cogito ergo sum", "I think therefore I am".  I forgot to give him credit for that eloquent idea.  For that, I apologize.  I wrote the rest of that treatise.  I can write another one on most any topic if you'd like.  Life and death seem to be the places where I spend the most time wondering, though. 

I've known and understood my mortality since an early age.  Every time that I'd step in the bathroom I'd wonder how long I'd live and how I'd die; I still do.  I'm beginning to think that my 'morbid fascination' with death came from my dad reading Grimm's Fairy Tales to me at quite a young age.  In fact, I once came to my mom crying that I would die, and I was only seven years old.  Ever since then I've wondered and wondered about how I could live forever, I've even written a short story about it.  Yes, it's surprising that I can think on such a level, but practice makes perfect.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:49:27 AM by Penguin »

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
     The axiom of my treatise came from Descartes; "Cogito ergo sum", "I think therefore I am".  I forgot to give him credit for that eloquent idea.  For that, I apologize.  I wrote the rest of that treatise.  I can write another one on most any topic if you'd like.  Life and death seem to be the places where I spend the most time wondering, though. 

I've known and understood my mortality since an early age.  Every time that I'd step in the bathroom I'd wonder how long I'd live and how I'd die; I still do.  I'm beginning to think that my 'morbid fascination' with death came from my dad reading Grimm's Fairy Tales to me at quite a young age.  In fact, I once came to my mom crying that I would die, and I was only seven years old.  Ever since then I've wondered and wondered about how I could live forever, I've even written a short story about it.  Yes, it's surprising that I can think on such a level, but practice makes perfect.

-Penguin

No need to apologize, just be careful when you get to college when you have to do sources.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »
True, I just didn't know you guys wanted them. :lol I'll be sure to cite any sources if I write another treatise. ;)

-Penguin

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
 And here I thought you stole it from my sig............ :rofl :rofl :rofl

:salute

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »
It seems as if you guys like these, would you like another one?  If so, on what topic?

-Penguin

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
It seems as if you guys like these, would you like another one?  If so, on what topic?

-Penguin

The beauty of silence.
See Rule #4

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Hello Aces High BBS!

The Immortal Mind
By Penguin

-Penguin

Next time you use a thesaurus can you copy the words over with their correct spellings?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »

-Penguin

The end results of spicy foods
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
Next time you use a thesaurus can you copy the words over with their correct spellings?

I didn't use a thesaurus, which probably explains my spelling errors.

The beauty of silence.

Are you telling me to stop writing these, or is that an actual request?

The end results of spicy foods

Sounds good, but I've found a subject that has caught my eye- world peace.  Yours will come right after that.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:29:09 PM by Penguin »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
The point of the type of language you're trying to use is to make things concise and simple, not to make them flowery and redundant.
The end result is that you just look pretentious.