Author Topic: Arena caps and others  (Read 866 times)

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
Arena caps and others
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »
1:
Can someone explain how the arena cap numbers work?
Lately I have seen an arena with 100 pilots capped at 100 pilots while the other arena has 130 pilots capped at 200 pilots.
How does this make any sense at all?
I understand trying to even out the arenas but this is the opposite.

There is already the position that if an arena is full and your squad or friends are in the full arena you should get them to abandon the battle they have been fighting for hours to move to the open one with you.
After all a battles a battle right, who cares how much time or effort you put into one just go start another. Or if you can play with the friends you have made, this game is not about relationships its about virtual killing.
This alone is a frustrating position by the powers that be.
Capping an arena with less players is frankly mindless in my opinion.
Please help me understand the logic.

2:
Was there ever a reply as to being able to shoot right thru a tank without damaging it? Because you still can. Mostly right where the turret meets the body.
Don't say oh you missed. Because you do see a little spark, the round does not ricochet. It goes thru the tank and hits the dirt on the other side. This happens at close range. If your far away you cant see it.

If I understand it correctly the tank controls were modified to allow players with no Stick, Throttle, rrudder pedals to have something to do with just a keyboard.
A great idea to increase the number of players and subscriptions. A game without income dies so I'm all for the change.
However the tank battles are still sometimes at 4k (longer if a tiger is shooting at you). I thought one of the changes was to make the tank battles at shorter range?

Example:
I'm a new player to the game, keyboard only. I finally learn offline to drive and shoot a tank. I go into the live rooms and shoot a enemy tank. My round goes right thru him. He kills me in one shot.
I respawn. Some guy 4k away kills me that I cant even see. I respawn, the 4k guy kills me again. I respawn, I hit an enemy tank 3 times, he kills me in one shot.
Is this fun? Would I stay?

Never leave a wingman behind

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Arena caps and others
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Search is your friend. GOTO the advanced setting and change the number of days from 0-9999 to 0 thru 700 and you will have more than enough reading material.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Search is your friend. GOTO the advanced setting and change the number of days from 0-9999 to 0 thru 700 and you will have more than enough reading material.

1. Caps no longer show more than the max total. So, the 100/100 could have been 150/100 or 101/100 as well as actually 100/100.

In essence both arenas could have had the same amount of people in them.

2. How do you know the hit sprite as the AP round passes through the tank did no damage? No fatal damage, obviously, but no damage at all?

The only time you will hear anything is a "we'll look into it" or a notation that it's fixed in a patch message.

Have you sent HTC a film?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
Been playing almost 10 years now and still don't understand caps, 1 ping kills, and really don't understand ENY. Guess you have to be math wiz to understand it.

side 1.....20 players.......29.0 eny
side 2.....19 players.......00.0 eny
side 3.....15 players.......00.0 eny

side 1.....65 players.......00.0 eny
side 2.....89 players.......03.0 eny
side 3.....110 players......05.0 eny :huh
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
Been playing almost 10 years now and still don't understand caps, 1 ping kills, and really don't understand ENY. Guess you have to be math wiz to understand it.

I call BS on that one..  you have a screenshot?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
I call BS on that one..

Yup, totally made up.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »

side 1.....65 players.......00.0 eny
side 2.....89 players.......03.0 eny
side 3.....110 players......05.0 eny :huh

The only people that DON'T understand, are those that don't WANT to understand.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:28:44 PM »
Only complaint I have after this weekend regarding the arena caps and off-hours arena is that on one of the days over this extended weekend, before the prime-time switch, off-hours had a banging map and fights going on all over it.  Then the arena switch hit and I forget which one of the two arenas I chose to go with imediatley afterwards, but it was a complete bore (and I assume the worse of the two decisions I could of made, it would simply be a shame if both arenas were like this after the wonderful bouts in off-hours), no sector had more than one or two enemy cons in them to go fight or attempt to fight.  Also, the map we had up was an over-sized joke and completely counterproductive for the whole lot of us 70 players on three countries (note: I came to this conclusion after taking a 1-2 hour break after the arena switch and returning in the hopes some re-populating may of changed things).

I really don't know what data or statistics HTCs is generating and using these days, but there has to be something concrete out there by now infront of them showing the popular belief amongst most players about how much more productive the medium and smaller sized maps are for generating arena populations over the mamoth-sized maps when one LW arena has the cumbersome maps up and the other has a medium or small one up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:30:51 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
I really don't know what data or statistics HTCs is generating and using these days, but there has to be something concrete out there by now infront of them showing the popular belief amongst most players about how much more productive the medium and smaller sized maps are for generating arena populations over the mamoth-sized maps when one LW arena has the cumbersome maps up and the other has a medium or small one up.

$

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
$

wrongway

Yes, that was the initial reason. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »
1:
Can someone explain how the arena cap numbers work?
Lately I have seen an arena with 100 pilots capped at 100 pilots while the other arena has 130 pilots capped at 200 pilots.
How does this make any sense at all?
I understand trying to even out the arenas but this is the opposite.

There is already the position that if an arena is full and your squad or friends are in the full arena you should get them to abandon the battle they have been fighting for hours to move to the open one with you.
After all a battles a battle right, who cares how much time or effort you put into one just go start another. Or if you can play with the friends you have made, this game is not about relationships its about virtual killing.
This alone is a frustrating position by the powers that be.
Capping an arena with less players is frankly mindless in my opinion.
Please help me understand the logic.

2:
Was there ever a reply as to being able to shoot right thru a tank without damaging it? Because you still can. Mostly right where the turret meets the body.
Don't say oh you missed. Because you do see a little spark, the round does not ricochet. It goes thru the tank and hits the dirt on the other side. This happens at close range. If your far away you cant see it.

If I understand it correctly the tank controls were modified to allow players with no Stick, Throttle, rrudder pedals to have something to do with just a keyboard.
A great idea to increase the number of players and subscriptions. A game without income dies so I'm all for the change.
However the tank battles are still sometimes at 4k (longer if a tiger is shooting at you). I thought one of the changes was to make the tank battles at shorter range?

Example:
I'm a new player to the game, keyboard only. I finally learn offline to drive and shoot a tank. I go into the live rooms and shoot a enemy tank. My round goes right thru him. He kills me in one shot.
I respawn. Some guy 4k away kills me that I cant even see. I respawn, the 4k guy kills me again. I respawn, I hit an enemy tank 3 times, he kills me in one shot.
Is this fun? Would I stay?

go to the bottom of this fourm press the "next" button
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"