Author Topic: Happy Birthday, baby  (Read 1501 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Happy Birthday, baby
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »
May I add the fact that the wings are a little short, what makes it fly is that huge engine, not sayings its crap i said Flying Characteristics were a joke, I never doubted its flying ability.

Really?

Such a thing could never fly  :rofl Unless you just put a ton of power to it. Looks like gliding characteristics would be anything short of a joke, but hey what do I know.

I guess it was that statement that confused me...

Unless you consider to 20-30 hp of a Righter opposed-twin geared-down 2-stroke a "ton of power" :headscratch:

Oh, yeah. Happy Birthday,  Norma Jean Dougherty   :banana:

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
I never doubted its flying ability.

So, what did you mean by "could never fly?"
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
When I used the  :rofl Face I was joking. I looked at the wings and saw how small they looked at the camera angle.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Such a thing could never fly, the wings are too short.

Nope, wings are too small. That'll never fly.  :noid
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

You know the Ironic thing is I knew that would be brought up, and even more ironic i'm watching a show about it.  :uhoh
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
 get rid of the badger and change it to a short bus
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
Taking a good look at it can make a person assume, you don't need insult a person who's wrong, makes you look like a troll. Just saying.

Ahhhh, there's no insult here, just asking a couple of questions, that you still haven't answered.  Just asking.

You seem to have a genuine interest in things that fly.  There is a wealth of knowledge in here about most anything one could want to know about concerning aviation, and more.  If you spent a little time researching versus making off the cuff statements that demonstrate nothing more than ignorance, you might gain some credibility and learn something in the process.  Just observing.   :salute
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:11:10 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »

i was watching the Military channel's "top ten" episode about fighters. and they had the f4 phantom on there.

they had an old phantom pilot. who said because of the shape of the phantom(especially its wing) it was technically aerodynamically impossible to fly due to how much drag the shape of its body created.
and its only because of the 2 giant engines pushing it through the sky that it was ever able to actually sustain flight.
(bsically they said it was nothing more than a giant greyhound bus with 2 big engines strapped to the back that made it go very fast).

point is, apparently it doesnt matter about the shape of the aircraft. if you got a strong enough engine on it to push it through the sky, it can sustain flight. least i think that was the point  :headscratch:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 03:24:24 AM »

they had an old phantom pilot. who said because of the shape of the phantom(especially its wing) it was technically aerodynamically impossible to fly due to how much drag the shape of its body created.

Not true, the wings were not "aerodynamically impossible to fly".  The plane was big and heavy, that's why it needed those two powerful engines to push it through sky and not because the wings were not able to get any lift due to their design.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:38 AM »

It did have a tendency to fall out of the sky. Didn't the F104 almost kill Chuck Yeager?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
i was watching the Military channel's "top ten" episode about fighters. and they had the f4 phantom on there.

and its only because of the 2 giant engines pushing it through the sky that it was ever able to actually sustain flight.
(bsically they said it was nothing more than a giant greyhound bus with 2 big engines strapped to the back that made it go very fast).

point is, apparently it doesnt matter about the shape of the aircraft. if you got a strong enough engine on it to push it through the sky, it can sustain flight. least i think that was the point  :headscratch:

That's why it has both dihedral and anhedral in the wings and stabilator, aerodynamic stability.  A demonstration that with enough horsepower, even a refrigerator can go supersonic.  :O
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:32:14 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
May I add the fact that the wings are a little short, what makes it fly is that huge engine, not sayings its crap i said Flying Characteristics were a joke, I never doubted its flying ability.
dont always believe what a picture is showing you. thats a ~12ft wingspan

It didn't need any other characteristics other than to be able to fit under the wing/fueselage of the towing plane that took it up, fly straight and level for X-amount of time when released, and fall out of the sky when it got shot.

thats not true for this model. It was fully remote controlled.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:41:39 PM by flight17 »
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
get rid of the badger and change it to a short bus

Hey, leave him alone.

-Penguin

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 03:38:02 PM »
It did have a tendency to fall out of the sky. Didn't the F104 almost kill Chuck Yeager?

It had really twitchy low speed handling characteristics, a trade off made in its time to gain the speed that fighter pilots demanded. Jet engines were still very new, and not very efficient, so in order to get the desired speed, the plane was made like a missile. It remained in service as a front line fighter for around 30 years. Not a bad record, actually. Fighter pilots of the time asked for speed and acceleration, Kelly Johnson gave it to them.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
From what I understand shorter wings are more desirable the faster and higher you want to go, terribly inefficient in thicker atmosphere though, Mach 3+ and you start to be riding in a rocket that happens to have wings [ex: X15] more than you're riding in an airplane.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer