Author Topic: Windows 8 due in 2012???  (Read 1307 times)

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 8 due in 2012???
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
And I'll be using OSX.  :neener:

Is that like AXE body spray?
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
It's all about one thing:

buy more, Buy more, Buy More, BUY More, BUY MORE!~

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 03:42:54 AM »
Is that like AXE body spray?

Never heard of it :)
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 8 due in 2012??? Sounds like the next
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 04:39:10 AM »
what is this mystery technology?

the kinect stuff, API's are in WP7 already. Work is under way for camera's better suited to laptops, desktops, tablets, phones etc. It's going to nuke the touchscreen market, though I'm not sure on the mouse replacement yet,

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
the kinect stuff, API's are in WP7 already. Work is under way for camera's better suited to laptops, desktops, tablets, phones etc. It's going to nuke the touchscreen market, though I'm not sure on the mouse replacement yet,

What if I make a gesture I don't want it to register?  For example, I may want to scratch my [insert part of body here] while using a computer.  How will it detect that I'm not trying to type the letter 'a', or something?
O o

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
What if I make a gesture I don't want it to register?  For example, I may want to scratch my [insert part of body here] while using a computer.  How will it detect that I'm not trying to type the letter 'a', or something?

Because there are people better than you at programming input devices ;)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
Still will be using XP.  Windows has not improved from a security stand point sinces in inception. Widgets arent enough for me to buy, learn and learn to hate all over again.

are you saying that either "windows XP is just as secure"  or  "windows XP is more secure"  as/than Windows 7 currently is?

.....just trying to understand your reply about

Still will be using XP.  Windows has not improved from a security stand point sinces in inception.

is there any published articles, reviews, white papers that one could find to read up on regarding this?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Because there are people better than you at programming input devices ;)

No way, that's unpossible.
O o

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
are you saying that either "windows XP is just as secure"  or  "windows XP is more secure"  as/than Windows 7 currently is?

.....just trying to understand your reply about

is there any published articles, reviews, white papers that one could find to read up on regarding this?

UM.....It will always be security risk.  Don't know how much more specific I can get.  All Microsoft OS's are vulnerable to one degree or another.  Some maybe more so than others.  Even with AV software they are only saving you from known issues.  Someone can create a new virus that will get you no matter who you are or what software you are using.  They even figured out how to hack systems that were not connected to the internet at all.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Currently windows 7 has 1/5th of a chance of an infection statistically compared to a fully patched XP SP3.

So security has improved quite much, especially if you use UAC and do not browse the web using IE or the administrator account.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
Here is a recent pcworld article, regarding Newer Windows OS & Newer MS Software security abilitys.... in todays world

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229290/windows_is_tougher_to_hack_than_you_think.html#tk.rss_news

if anyone is interested

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
Ill still use XP Pro, personally I hate Vista and 7
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
On a security related note those who said 'famous last words' about me migrating my parents to Ubuntu after they messed up their XP once again: my parents now use linux fluently. I needed to return a couple of times to adjust the sound in Skype and install a wireless 3G USB dongle to their now already 2nd linux machine, laptop, but that's it. They now use Ubuntu for everything they earlier used XP for, minus the need to worry about viruses or running antivirus software.

All in all I was positively surprised how painless the migration was.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
On a security related note those who said 'famous last words' about me migrating my parents to Ubuntu after they messed up their XP once again: my parents now use linux fluently. I needed to return a couple of times to adjust the sound in Skype and install a wireless 3G USB dongle to their now already 2nd linux machine, laptop, but that's it. They now use Ubuntu for everything they earlier used XP for, minus the need to worry about viruses or running antivirus software.

All in all I was positively surprised how painless the migration was.

Why is it not more popular?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Why is it not more popular?

Fear of unknown primarily I'm guessing. Second reason is that it still needs SOMEONE to set it up so that all familiar windows fonts, adobe flash etc. are installed ready. It's a quick 10 minute process but requires a bit of knowledge. After that it's just point and click basically.

My parents were already heavily using cloud based e-mail etc. so I didn't even need to set up an e-mail client - all I had to do was to add quick links to Firefox basically. Skype had to be installed but that was a couple of clicks away (through built-in software installation utility that Ubuntu has, you select the software, choose 'install', give administrative password and then choose if you want a quick link to your toolbar or not).

Edit: One reason it's not spreading like wildfire is obviously lack of support for windows games. That's a big no-go for families with children but also a non-issue for most grown ups.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:23:04 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »