Author Topic: Piston ring end gap calculator/formula?  (Read 19451 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Re: Piston ring end gap calculator/formula?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
Cc ty.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
Icepac, thank you, good stuff. I did my homework on the 2.3s when I started monkey around with it. If you want any real hp, you go turbo hands down. I ve seen a couple of guys removing their 302s in favor of a 2.3 because of the weight saving/better car balance.

On an NA 2.3 not much you can do, usually offenhauser intake/ 4bb carb, hot cam and headman headers. The limiting factor is the head flow, some use the volvo heads. That bucket is a DD for my daughter. I want her to think she's going fast, thus the headers/super 44/hot cam but that's it hehehe. She still pulls 28ish mpg, which is perfect for her wallet. What killed me is not finding a used auxiliary shaft and having to buy a $280 one from esslinger.  :mad:

Virg, what were the years of those 2.3s? Mine is a 78, and after alittle research, they don't offer 60 over for after 85. So I'm thinking that pre 85 where a bit thicker blocks? What do you think?

Anyway I already spent the money, plus my kid needs get bucket, can't really wait to get it sonic_ed. Dam machine shops are always closed on saturday, and I'm working 15h days during the week. I ll try to mike the cylinders this week end thru the water jackets to give me an idea, see how thin I am compared to 3/16 - 1/8.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
 Frenchy,

I've heard that torqueing the transmission bolts can cause issues with the rear cylinder on some engines!

So if your 2.3 is suspect I'd torque the tranny in stages. Of course this could be complete BS and I'd difer to Hilt's knowledge before mine..... :o

:salute

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
Never heard that one, but it doesn't cost anything to do so, thx  :cheers:
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
 Frenchy,

in the mid to late 80's BMW had this issue on one or more of their engines. The tranny being torqued to spec caused the rear cylinder to become oval or egg shapped,they were using oil baddly and this was the supposed reason. I have know firsthand experience with this as it was a coversation with a friend but like you said doesnt cost anything except a few moments....

Maybe some more knowledgable person could chime in and tell me I'm full of poop..... :o

But it's cheap insurance!

:salute