Author Topic: JABO.. still tryin.. still dyin.  (Read 3059 times)

Offline wabbit

• Copper Member
      • Wabbit's War Room
JABO.. still tryin.. still dyin.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »
I agree with Banex. Jarbo and I have done it many times, with P51s.
Rockets are useless. We haven't figured out how to aim them while juking about.  But bombs work fine.
We come in at about 10k or so, cut our engines and drop vertically on the ack. As we come down we roll some to keep ack from hitting us directly, drop bombs, hit wep and juke like crazy as we run off low to the ground.
It doesn't work all the time, but we've had enough success with it, that we run jarbo missions, (we call'em that so as not to confuse ourselves with jabo and jarbo in the squad), as often as we can.
Hell, I'd rather jarbo it then bomber it myself....

mark
a.k.a wabbit
The Dammed Engineering Officer
The Buccaneers
Wabbit:
             The Official Rolling Thunder Target Drone...

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2000, 07:14:00 AM »
Anyone ever tried on how long ACK keeps firing on somebody ? that would make 2 plane attacks possible where one circles the field close enough to "light up" the ack and the other comes in for the kill... i just don't know when the ack switches target.

------------------
Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
No dice. Acks always shoot at the nearest target.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
I have film in hand from TBOLT.. usin an F4U-1C with 2 1k eggs... He got an ack; never even got pinged. (no sound on films??)

Best I can tell the attack was a near vertical dive from about 8K; a quick line up and slightly high release (aim poin just above the ack)

On his pull out (about 5.5k) he mowed a nik outta the sky too.   I think this sortie he wrapped up 6 other planes inta flaming little balls. Certainly no shortage of action on the footage. newsreel stuff.. good for the morale back home.  

CONGRATS TBOLT! Well done Sir! ..and thanks for the film!!

Hang

------------------
PALE HORSES
"I looked, and behold; a Pale Horse, and it's riders name was Death, and Hell followed with him" Rev 6.8
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2000, 12:16:00 PM »
I have managed to bomb acks offline, but not online yet.  Technique is similar to what you describe TBolt doing, Hang.

As far as avoiding ack, they do have a lag in tracking you.  Fly in a straight path for 5 seconds or so and they will lock on and you will be dead quick.  Jink on your way through at high speed and you really don't have many problems.  I have yet to strafe an ack, but I have gotten close enough to shoot them by jinking on my way in.  They wind up killing me when I try to straighten out for a shot.

I thought Pyro said that the ack in game now was a 'placeholder?'  I hope I am not misquoting him here, but I recall reading this somewhere and have not seen any notes in the readme updates that any ack work has been done.  Maybe he can clarify.

Gordo

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2000, 12:01:00 AM »
A story comes to me about a SkyRaider (Sandy) Pilot doing SAR cover in Vietnam and the advice he was given,  "Don't challenge the gun, because the gun usually wins".  (Refering to mobile AAA)

Not too brag, but in Beta Tour2, I ended as "Number One" for bomber "Damage per Sortie".  This I accomplised over a 2 day period, only flying 6 or so fighter-bomber (P-51) sorties each day.

Give me 2k worth of "Big Bad Boom Boom's" and I can usually kill what I aim at.  The trick is to release at a very low altitude, use tracer fire to aim with and then don't smack into the ground or frag your own ass.  

I have had alot less luck with 500 pounders.  The other smaller bombs have little effect and I don't use them any more.

I have taken out single acks and lived, if that was the only ack gun up at the airbase. The acks aim has been degraded recently, and survivability is up.  I almost always take damage.  This is the price I pay for "Challenging the Gun".  

Rockets IMO, have no use yet in the game.  I can't seem to hit BUFF's with them either.      

I pretty much have given up on JABO sorties, except when I want a change of pace.  

Here is why: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum8/HTML/000227.html

I don't think their is any intent on the part of HTC to limit JABO,  because the ordanance exists in the hanger for loadout.  I only suspect that it has not evolved into the game as of yet.  

However, I still fly JABO fairly often.  I enjoy "Moving Mud" with a fighter-bomber and so I am eagerly waiting with patience for JABO to have some value in the game.  

I am also, eagerly waiting with patience for the P-38.    

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 01-28-2000).]