Author Topic: Sailing Trip  (Read 946 times)

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
Re: Sailing Trip
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »
Hey guys,

I'll be off on a sailing trip for at least a week in a short while.  For those of you who hate me, it will be a great vacation from my posts.  However, this is the first time that I've ever gone on a sailing trip, and I would like to know a few things:

How cold does it get?
Weather can change quite quickly, but the temperatures don't vary too much due to the water you're on.  Have a jacket/coat that is wind and water proof/heavily-resistant.  If you're sailing in cool waters, you'll likely want something that will also offer warmth, otherwise concentrate on water and wind proofing primarily.
How can I stay hydrated?
When sailing, in the sun and in some warmth, at least a gallon a day, and two wouldn't hurt.  Have a canteen you always have around with you and a large jug/gallon of water that you refill and drink entirely at least daily.  Being that active and in that environment, even though you're surrounded by water, you'll need to drink tons.  And yellow pee is unhealthy pee, and a very easy guage to tell if you're drinking enough or not.  The lighter colored and more clear-water like it is in color, the better you're doing at keeping your body hydrated.  Most people have to take a leak when they wake up in the morning, so it's a convenient and acurate way of guaging how much you need to work on your water intake at the start of your day and before it gets too hot.
What kind of gloves will I need?
This is a 6 or half-dozen debate, it's all up to personal preference IMHO.  I have yet to find a glove made of a material that the ocean won't quickly disintigrate.  When I was younger and did sailing we'd wrap our hands (if at all) mostly over in tape as it allowed us to slide ropes quickly through our palms and wouldn't over-burden your fingers, leaving them free and nimble to do all the knotwork (which gloves of almost anytype really hampen).  If I had to bring some working gloves though, then my choice is usualy calf skin, it's a great balance in my opinion as it's got the best balance of durability and toughness for the thinnest and most compforitable material.

Also, any yarns from you old sea dogs would be greatly appreciated.  There's some truth in even the tallest tale.

-Penguin

Learn to tie a _good_ one-handed boiline, not only is it good for showing off during show n' tells, but will come in extremely handy on the fly.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl that just made my day!

I'm still begging my family to take a family boat trip on Lake Lanier but seeing as how no one in my family has been on anything except a cruise ship, they aren't looking to fondly upon it. Next plan is taking some friends kayaking in Athens  :uhoh
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
Triple post my bad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:39:28 PM by F22RaptorDude »

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
triple post my bad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:39:10 PM by F22RaptorDude »

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 04:21:30 PM »
What was that? I didn't hear you the first three times.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
ive never been sailing...or stepped on a boat for the matter, unless the ferry to the Statue of Liberty counts

Yes ... the ferry to the Statue of Liberty would be considered a "boat".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
Learn to tie a _good_ one-handed boiline, not only is it good for showing off during show n' tells, but will come in extremely handy on the fly.

Is it a square knot that is tied around oneself?

-Penguin

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
What was that? I didn't hear you the first three times.
My computer is old, give me a break

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »

-Penguin

That sounds more like a messed up noose, oh, you might want to study how to undo one of those quickly too.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:24 PM »
No, it's intended for water rescue.  If one falls overboard and is thrown a rope, this knot allows one to hold onto the rope with one hand and tie a very secure knot with the other.

-Penguin

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »

-Penguin

Nope, it's closest to a sheep bend, except with one piece of rope (rather than joining together two seperate ropes, as with a sheep bend) to form a loop on the end.  You'll find it is used, or variations of it (ie: double(hitched) bowline), quite often in safety and rescue trades, and of cource maritime/sailing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowline

Here's a real simple clip on how to do a one-handed basic, and it's best/easiest to learn by tyeing it around yourself as is shown in the video, but after a little practise you can tie it around other things/people without much effort.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4411911_tie-one-handed-bowline-knot.html

Now if you're a good boy, in a couple years (when you're old enough) I'll teach ya the handcuffing rope trick, always a fun one to pull on the girlfriend.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
Yes, I know how to do that.  It's the first knot I learned after the square knot.  In Poland, it's called: wezel ratownicy (rescue knot).  Forgive me, but I've learned everything that I have about yachting in Poland, so some of the vocabulary will be different.

-Penguin

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »
No, it's intended for water rescue.  If one falls overboard and is thrown a rope, this knot allows one to hold onto the rope with one hand and tie a very secure knot with the other.

-Penguin

That's one benefit to the one-handed bowline, also once you do it 2-3 times, you'll realise it is one of the fastest and reliabley holding knots to tie, period.  

Yes, I know how to do that.  It's the first knot I learned after the square knot.  In Poland, it's called: wezel ratownicy (rescue knot).  Forgive me, but I've learned everything that I have about yachting in Poland, so some of the vocabulary will be different.

-Penguin

It also goes by "rescue knot" in english and "the king of knots" or simply "the king", or on most the boats I sailed on, it was simply "the knot", but ya got to be careful there because most knots used by professional search and rescue personel here go by that term of rescue knot and are variations of the bowline (LA City and County fire used to teach the double bowline as their standard "rescue knot" for example, and that made tying the standard bowline a bit of a training no-no). 

And best start calling your square knots as reef knots offshore unless you want to be mistaken as a land lover on your first day. :D

-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »
Shiver me timbers cap'n, the very thought of 'em words makes me quake in me boots!  :D

-Penguin