Author Topic: AVA icon settings  (Read 8036 times)

Offline Cheese

• Copper Member
Re: AVA icon settings
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
Whatever visual reference we need to 'simulate' reality.  Don't know about you, but I can see planes that are much further away from me than 3000 yards while standing in my back yard and watching them fly by.

Whatever settings are picked should be the same distance for both friendly and enemy.

I vote for 6k both.

Cheese
Pigs on the Wing - Wing II
It's not Easy to be Cheesy!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
Whatever visual reference we need to 'simulate' reality.  Don't know about you, but I can see planes that are much further away from me than 3000 yards while standing in my back yard and watching them fly by.
oh here we go...sure about that are you? not talking about 150-200 foot long passenger jets, so can you tell exactly what make and model a small 45 foot long aircraft is from more than a mile away? are they painted with a dark dull paint or all white? ever try it through a worn pane of glass with the sun glaring? how about while wearing glass lensed goggles and looking through a worn pane of glass?

the neon sign gives more information than you would have realistically and it's visible in nearly all conditions including through clouds which would normally prevent you from seeing an aircraft. go ahead and try to positively identify a small plane flying through clouds 18,000 feet away from you...without binoculars.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »
Can we stay on topic and play in the thread the way the OP asked?

what would you like to see for icons settings:

please list distances only, not opinions. we know some of you hate no icons and some do not. we want to know what kind of distances you would like to see!

It did seem a bit much to ask, didn't it...  :bolt:
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Beardawg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
 6 K for both

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
leave em alone
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
Friendly icon--- 2K
Enemy icon--- 0k NO ICONS!!!!

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »
 Dawger.. I like this this... it's dead on the money. I 100% agree with you..!!

Are you averaging in zeroes for the no icons preference? If so there is an error in your logic. No icons isn't a distance of zero, it is a preference for the icon to be off. Short enemy icons are just as intrusive as long enemy icons.

My preference is icons off for both friendly and enemy  but that detracts from the experience when flying with friendlies. If enemy must be on then they should always be equal to friendly. It makes absolutely no sense that icons should be different for friendlies and enemies if icons are on for enemy.

With both side icons off comunication and team work are the key and friendly can still work together. The squad or wing with  better brevity code and wing tactics will prevail ...Much more realistic and Historical..

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:03:51 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »

With both side icons off comunication and team work are the key and friendly can still work together. The squad or wing with  better brevity code and wing tactics will prevail ...Much more realistic and Historical..

Finally!  Someone uses realistic and historical in the same thought while referencing teamwork and tactics!  Well done, you two!   :aok

I agree; no icons friendly or enemy.    :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
Unless there's only one friendly within range, it would be hard to tell who to call out a check-6. I don't send a check-6 via the keyboard; does it still work with no icons for friendlies? I guess I could fumble around and find that key on my keyboard...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
Unless there's only one friendly within range, it would be hard to tell who to call out a check-6. I don't send a check-6 via the keyboard; does it still work with no icons for friendlies? I guess I could fumble around and find that key on my keyboard...

I think icons have to be on to give a keyboard check 6.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »
no icons for both.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »
1K - 1.5K for friendly
None for enemy

-OR-

None for either.

:salute
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »
its just a number, it wont hurt you, and yes i used 0's. although a preference, its still a distance.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 07:30:17 AM »
its just a number, it wont hurt you, and yes i used 0's. although a preference, its still a distance.

alright if you're averaging zeros, emend mine to read "infinity" icon range for both.   :aok

:bolt:

I don't really care what distance is determined (as dot dar is another tool to tweak action-finding stuff) as long as *both* sides have the same range setting for enemy/friendly.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »

Off is not a distance.

If you are going to call off a distance of zero then I change my vote to -47,000,000 for enemy icons. That will help the average in my favor.