Author Topic: Killing the CO  (Read 687 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Killing the CO
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
Last Friday, and I'll cut to the chase, while hosing down a pair of B-25c's with my gondie-laden G-6, the CO converged on said bombers ahead of me, diving right into the line of fire. This resulted in a quick trip to the tower for him. I got my two bombers, though I sheared off half my horizontal stab on the pass. Not to worry, I was able to finish out the night with the two beefers and a later assist on a 38. Anyway, I felt badly and maybe I shouldn't have taken the shot with him up and ahead. I'll add this to my book of "How AH has conditioned my understanding of history", for friendly fire isn't and accidental death is a snap in such a situation.

To his credit, he was pretty kewl about it and is a genuinely good CO, provided you want a squad that lets you do your own thang, most of the time (pm me on that one, if you're into it). It's not the army, it's mor elike a circus of individual acts. 
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Killing the CO
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
I trust you've seen an number of gun camera films from the real deal where another friendly comes into view shooting at the same enemy bird.  The classic that comes to mind is the Hellcat film, but I've seen 51 film the same way.

Found the Hellcat film.  Go to 1:34.  As near as i can tell the guy that cuts in got hit by his buddy.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/destroyed-in-seconds-marianas-turkey-shoot.html

Any number of stories of guys surviving midairs with squadron mates while both were shooting and looking at the same bad guy.

It happened more often then I think we'd like to believe.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
That hellcat that flew in front of me was Shamus during a Scenario.......that's my guncam film  :rofl
- The Flying Circus -

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
I remember my very first FSO, I was stoked I had one f6f down and was chasing another and Dantoo copped a heap of lead off me, he wasn't impressed.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.