Author Topic: HO or no HO?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
Re: HO or no HO?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
ok so the pics don't show the entirety of what transpired. Midway was turning hard into me as well. My point to him was, we had a good fight going and there were several opportunities where I could have chose to make the same shot he did but, did not because well it was a 1v1 with no cons around (mine or his) and just seemed cheap. Oh well
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
In a 1 v 1, with next closest con so far away, I would've skipped that shot and continued the fight.  In the mass furballs, I would've taken it.

You like taking any shot you can get, so it doesn't really matter if it's a pure 0 degree HO or not.  People expect it from you, and any front-quarter shot is automatically a HO when it's you who took it.

For better or worse, you built up your reputation to what it is now, and it's going to have a lot of people assuming you're doing a pure HO.

From my experiences fighting you, you generally come steaming straight down the pipe, pretty much playing 'Chicken', and either I take a HO or I angle away, but regardless, you still take the shot.

For that reason, I actually don't care to fight you.  I know a HO is coming, and not some nifty or awesome moves to create overshoots or reversals.

To each his own though.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
ok so the pics don't show the entirety of what transpired. Midway was turning hard into me as well. My point to him was, we had a good fight going and there were several opportunities where I could have chose to make the same shot he did but, did not because well it was a 1v1 with no cons around (mine or his) and just seemed cheap. Oh well

I don't want to take cheap shots.   :(
If it was cheap, then I will learn from it.  Going to finish my 1st year in AH next month and still much to learn.  :banana:

and mir, realize I'm finishing my first year and slowly learning the unwritten rules of this simulation.   So when someone like me comes 'streaming down the pipe playing chicken', it may be because they have not yet fully developed their skills and could use helpful hints via a PM or two when you see something that should have been done better.  :salute

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
From my experiences fighting you, you generally come steaming straight down the pipe, pretty much playing 'Chicken', and either I take a HO or I angle away, but regardless, you still take the shot.

For that reason, I actually don't care to fight you.  I know a HO is coming, and not some nifty or awesome moves to create overshoots or reversals.

I think he may just be turning a corner -> http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,316838.0.html
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »
Oh good lord not another one....IT DOESN'T MATTER if you head on shot him or not. You got the dude smokin and probably got the kill. I mean for petes sake you guys were in poonfire16's get over it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
Oh good lord not another one....IT DOESN'T MATTER if you head on shot him or not. You got the dude smokin and probably got the kill. I mean for petes sake you guys were in poonfire16's get over it.

Spitfire MK VIII for me.  :)

It does matter when your (my) goal is to be a good pilot (simulated, that is).

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

who peed in ur Wheaties?
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
I don't want to take cheap shots.   :(
If it was cheap, then I will learn from it.  Going to finish my 1st year in AH next month and still much to learn.  :banana:

and mir, realize I'm finishing my first year and slowly learning the unwritten rules of this simulation.   So when someone like me comes 'streaming down the pipe playing chicken', it may be because they have not yet fully developed their skills and could use helpful hints via a PM or two when you see something that should have been done better.  :salute

I understand that, but your proud boasting of HOing, trying to HO, you're HOing ability, ad nauseum forced your name to become associated with the person taking a HO.

I did have a good fight with you at one point, where you had shots on my 38.  After the fight, I offered advice of controlling your speed, as you were flying it firewalled, but that was so long ago.

As a matter of fact, that was when you were just chatty on channel 200.  Soon after, it seemed that you were gone for a little while, and when you returned, your online persona changed to one of arrogance and being antagonistic towards others.  I actually commented on squad Vox that I didn't think it was the same Midway.  I don't get it.

Do you want to be better skilled?  Hold off on those shots in the 1 v 1's and work to get a shot behind the 3/9 line.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
definitely a HO, no argument. and a valid shot :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
I think it depends on the situation. However I look at it it's technically a HO, but that in itself doesn't make it a frowned upon shot.

If you were in the MA with a full red dar bar and cons coming in, you're dodging red left and right, that's a perfectly acceptable shot in my book. In that situation your goal is to get as many cons down as quickly as possible, even if you have to shoot someone in the face. When people swarm you 5v1 they aren't showing you any respect, so don't give them any in return.

However, if you're in a 1v1 against a similar plane with very little threat of someone picking you, I would pass up on that shot and maneuver for another. From the photos I see, I would say you had the upper hand in the fight. The opponent was a second or two later than you (on getting to a heads on/neutral position) so you clearly had an extra step. What you should have done (in my opinion) is used that extra step to break out early and hopefully get another shot. Whenever I get someone in that situation I use it to my advantage, because whatever I do it will take them an extra second or two to get back into position and then counter it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
However I look at it it's technically a HO

the USAAF and I agree with you :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

I was going to say that providing single frames instead of film is usually a way to hide something and only show ones point of view.  That been said, from those pics, I'd say not a HO.  But we are missing the context.  We can't tell from these pics if that was a contest of forcing the HO so no-one fires or a contest of who is going to get the 2 degree deflection in first.  Meaningless post without the film, in my opinion.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Is there... like a website that lists which shots people are giving me that I shouldn't be taking?  I'd really like to make sure I understand which shots I'm getting are ok to take and which aren't.  This could be a great aid to those new to the game, as well as myself who just doesn't quite understand what about that setup is unreasonable.

I get that 3k out jousting is bad...  This makes sense to me.  After how many turns are you allowed to take a deflection shot?  Or is it that you're never allowed to 'legitimately' fire ahead of the 3/9 line?  Or is it the 4/8?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
Wiley my complaint is it was a good clean fight with no outside threats why not work for a good clean shot. Oh well again guess its just me and my silly expectations

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »
Spit8 is just as uber as spit16. Doesn't matter if you were VIII and he was XVI, same plane for most of the performance specs. Only difference being roll rate.

That said, even if it was a cheap HO, even if it was a weak HO, it would still have been a good HO if only because of what you were HOing. No mercy for spit drivers!