Author Topic: A TT in EVERY MAP  (Read 877 times)

Offline Erwin

• Zinc Member
A TT in EVERY MAP
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
 :furious the current map is a joke, 5k drives for a tank brawl, spawn on spawns are just as far apart. There is no intelligent reason NOT to have a TT on every map. Make the last Vbase uncaptureable if there is more than one base per side. Isolate the TT from aircraft, or make it a long flight. Put the bases 3k from one another so you don't spend 3/4 of your game time DRIVING. Some people on here don't care about dogfighting, missions, or bomber's. Give GVr's their own place when they don't feel like doing anything besides duking it out. On ALL maps make EVERY spawn converge, WHY wouldn't you do this anyway? (Maximizes game time, and makes people happy.) Make a change that people might actually like unlike the automatic transmissions and idiotic sights on the m3s with the howitzers. I'm a gambling man and I'll bet the house none of this will happen anytime soon. Instead of adding the King Tiger maybe you should make the game a little more fun instead. Long drives in a slower tank won't be much fun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: A TT in EVERY MAP
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
There is no intelligent reason NOT to have a TT on every map.

There is one:

Players don't use it. Trinity has the best TT there is, with multiple bases and spawns that make eternal spawncamping next to impossible, and very well shielded from planes by 20k+ mountain walls Empty. Montis has a nice TT area as well. Always unused.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:15:46 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »
Erwin, if you get started right now, you should be able to get a new map built in 6 months or so. No intellegent reason why you couldn't get it done, so have at it!

Offline Erwin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Thanks for your pointless commentary Fugitive. It would be easier to tweek existing maps rather than making new ones, don't ya think Mr. Gates?

Offline Erwin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
Lusche people don't use them because the drives take forever.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Lusche people don't use them because the drives take forever.

That's quite wrong.

And the real answer why they are empty today (Trintity TT was once the most active part of that map at any given time) is a tad more complex ;)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »

That's quite wrong.

And the real answer why they are empty today (Trintity TT was once the most active part of that map at any given time) is a tad more complex ;)

Tank town would be an effective place to go, if there wasn't any AF for at least over a sector away. Biggest problem I've seen is TT either get's taken or someone ruins most the fights by bomb****ing.

JG 52

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »
Tank town would be an effective place to go, if there wasn't any AF for at least over a sector away. Biggest problem I've seen is TT either get's taken or someone ruins most the fights by bombering.

Trinity Tank town is shielded by 20k+ walls. Of all AH maps, it's the most difficult and time consuming tank area to reach for planes. When the concept of TT was still embraced by the players, planes bombing tanks were a relatively rare sight there - and not because of any "honor" thing ;)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Thanks for your pointless commentary Fugitive. It would be easier to tweek existing maps rather than making new ones, don't ya think Mr. Gates?

Actually if you don't have the original source file for the maps BEFORE they are compiled it is IMPOSSIBLE to edit them. Your initial "wish" was pointless as HTC doesn't seem to make maps any longer. They allow the players to handle that. Try again Sherlock.

Lusche is right. The maps that have TT are barren most of the time. Why, I don't know, maybe it's because they are an easy place to carpet bomb a bunch of easy kills. It's like having a big old bullseye saying hit here for cheap kills. People are more willing to go out of their way to ruin someone else fun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Lusche is right. The maps that have TT are barren most of the time. Why, I don't know, maybe it's because they are an easy place to carpet bomb a bunch of easy kills.

That ain't the reason either, as it doesn't keep players from spawning to places where they can bet on countless bombs raining down all the time. Again, Trinity TT is the place best shielded from enemy bombs that does exist on any map.

In short, two things did kill off TT as an institution: First we lost all big maps after the arena split, leaving only Ndisles with a TT. And this was neutered by a major terrain redisgn, pulling the spawns to far to the rear while at the same introducing a friggin hedge maze. So we had only one TT , which the players didn't use any more as before due to that horrible terrain at that time. And this simply broke the tradition.
When we got some big maps back about 3-4 years later (notably Trinity), a huge part of the community had never witnessed a fully functional TT environment in action, so they didn't have an idea what to do with it. And it's the same as with arena choice - nobody goes were nobody is.

Right now, I'm contemplating about starting one final try to get something going on Trinity again when the new KT shows up. Unfortunately I'm a bad organizer/leader and love in the wrong timezone. But it would be a shame to let this opportunity pass, whene everybody is eager to try the new tank but may be reluctant it up it at the usual spawncamps due to it's high perk cost. Trinity TT has many advantages, with everybody being able to drive home and land no matter what team he's on being a very big one...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:38:55 PM by Lusche »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
I agree with you Lusche, I think your dead on with  it. When is the Trinity map due up in the rotation again? Maybe.... due to your lack of skill  :devil you could talk a very GVers into starting some trouble in TT. Maybe contact the LTARs and see if they would like to issue a challenge the next time Trinity comes around. A little advertizing might build enough interest to have people looking forward to Trinity. I know with the single arena I'm looking to get into a bit of GV action as there isn't always any fighter action to be had. I know TT are more fun than a normal "spawn camp" battle like on some other maps. Getting my engine started and rolling before I get dead is a much better way to enjoy GVs  :aok

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
If its advertized with a date and time, people WILL bomb though, if for no better reason to be able to say "yay!!!1 I jst bombed 8 King Tigerz!!! ARen't i da greatezt?".

IMO, a good rule is to assume the sweetheart-bags will at least make an attempt to kill the fun.

Now that I've been pesemistic, I can say this: +1 luche, I'll try to start something up at TT. I'll go to V135 spawn and start screaming about this massive GV fight in TT, and how theres a bunch of easy kills, and that there's free cookies.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Tank-Ace,

Do you have any idea what it is like getting an Il-2 over a 20k mountain range?

Even a P-38L, the best 1000lb bomb hauler we have, takes an effort to climb that high while laden.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
If its advertized with a date and time, people WILL bomb though, if for no better reason to be able to say "yay!!!1 I jst bombed 8 King Tigerz!!! ARen't i da greatezt?".

IMO, a good rule is to assume the sweetheart-bags will at least make an attempt to kill the fun.

If course someone will show up sooner and later. Always had. But that's not really a problem. I'm not a zealous proponent of "don't bomb GVs" ideology. Back when TT was alive (and I'm talking about 100+ players in TT), I had crossed the AH Alps in a Il-2 myself two or three times ;)
But in the long run, the 20K walls do their part in reducing the frequency to a tolerable amount.

The biggest problem is to reach the critical mass. Actually we tried that at least two times and the battles dried out rather quickly.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
I'm aware of it, I've done it in a stuka and its a real biotch. But its doable, and I've seen others do it on trinity if the canyon to V135 is protected by enemy fighters.

I only got to expierence one month of epic TT action before the split, I really miss it.

What do you think the critical mass is? 10 tanks per side? 15? 20? I'll talk to some squads and start rounding up a horde for the knit side if you think that would help some.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"