Author Topic: Sherman Fireflie's true top speed?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Sherman Fireflie's true top speed?
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:15 AM »
Hey guys, i was in a custom GV arena, i upped a sherman firefly but the highest top speed i could get out of it on flat terrain was 20mph.

From what ive found from a little research, the firefly could reach at least 25 mph.(40km/h)

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Sherman_Firefly
http://www.onwar.com/tanks/uk/data/firefly.htm

I tested it offline on flat terrain and i still could only manage 20mph. even when holding the W button down.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Sherman Fireflie's true top speed?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »
HTC probably modeled a slower speed to simulate the British stopping for tea.  Otherwise, I too question it.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:19 AM »
no, Dale fixed it to represent Monty's screw-up at falaise. Since monty didn't move fast enough, our firefly won't move fast enough  :lol.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
:rofl Such tasteful humour :D

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
no, Dale fixed it to represent Monty's screw-up at falaise. Since monty didn't move fast enough, our firefly won't move fast enough  :lol.

I think on that basis the regular Sherman should take at least 2 years to get started  :rofl.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
Hey guys, i was in a custom GV arena, i upped a sherman firefly but the highest top speed i could get out of it on flat terrain was 20mph.

From what ive found from a little research, the firefly could reach at least 25 mph.(40km/h)

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Sherman_Firefly
http://www.onwar.com/tanks/uk/data/firefly.htm

I tested it offline on flat terrain and i still could only manage 20mph. even when holding the W button down.

Have you done any research? neither those are credible sources, official document from the British Army specifications of the FireFly.
Our ingame Firefly is correct. By the way, you can't really research online because some webpages simply cut and paste from others without actually doing research themselves, I had to pour through 60 documents and 3 books to gather the average speed should of been 20-22mph. I haven't even started on German documents because most of it is in german and translation is a pain.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:23:44 AM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »
for whatever reason, a lot of the british tanks were slower than their contemporaries. But I don't know why the firefly would be. The 17lber isn't THAT much heavier than an M3 75mm. I don't see how it could drop the speed by 5-7mph.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline SDGhalo

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
well i wasnt just the gun the turret was also redsigned for the gun also didnt they double the with of the track couldnt that be just wondering

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
well i wasnt just the gun the turret was also redsigned for the gun also didnt they double the with of the track couldnt that be just wondering
the width of the track was normal for the Firefly. youre thinking of special sherman designs such as the Easy8 etc where there was more armor or wider tracks etc.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
turret is unchanged isn't it? I was under the impression they modified the recoil system of the gun, to make use of the Sherman's wide turret.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
turret is unchanged isn't it? I was under the impression they modified the recoil system of the gun, to make use of the Sherman's wide turret.
look at a sherman 76mm turret and the firefly turret. theyre different
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
No, M4(76) doesn't use the origional sherman turret. They use an enlarged one.

Firefly turret and M4(75) turret should be the same. Infact, they're the same tank near enough. Just superficial changes, a different engine, and a new gun.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
Maybe the British put an RPM limiter on their engines to help with the longevity of the engines and transmissions??? 

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SDGhalo

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »
well there were some changes

. a second hatch was put in for the loader
. the hull gunner was elimated for more ammo storage which gave it more weight
. the mantle was 13 mm thicker then the 75mm
. and the added a large armourd bustle bin to fit the radios in the back of the turret

so maybe thats why she's a little slower

plus if you look at this photo on this link of the 75mm and the firefly you will see the difference.

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/JClick.php?UID=2504

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:58:40 AM by SDGhalo »

Offline tf15pin

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »
I wouldn't think that adding some weight to a tank would lower its top speed too much but would affect its acceleration. I think a big change in speed would come from a change in transmission or an engine that operates at lower RPM.