Author Topic: M4 75mm gun  (Read 2961 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: M4 75mm gun
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:08:24 PM »
You are assuming the M4-75 gets a clear shot to the side, True its possible under 800 yards to kill a Panther from the side. In Aces High a decent tanker will not put a Panther in a position to get nailed so easily.

thats correct.but you never know,i snuck behind a tiger 2 with the -75.it didnt do anything to it but i got there.

if the panther driver is parked behind what he thinks is good cover and stays in his gunsight,you can easily get positioned anywhere you want,especially in an intense battle,but then you could be killed by his buddy.so its almost more of a situational thing.
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
I tried it offline from all sides @ all angles.  The 75mm AP is just as effective as a Panther's smoke rounds even when firing directly into the rear of the Tiger II.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
To the OP:

Remember, there is a damage value assigned to each shell. Its value decreases with distance and armor penetrated (kenetic engergy carried by the round decreases with both). Heavier shells (should) maintain their damage potential better over distance/armor penetrated, as they rely less on velocity, and more on mass to get kenetic energy. A light, fast shell won't do as much damage as a slow, heavy shell, even if their respective penetration values are near equal (M8 at point blank range, M4 at 1000yds).

That being said, the system is flawed in my opinion. A 37mm shell will still set off the amunition and kill/wound crew members if it penetrates the turret. Infact, it would be better than a 75mm shell in some cases. Where a 75mm shell might tear though 1 side of a panzer IV's turret, and go through out the other (very destructive in its own right, but theres the potential to do no damage if it misses ammunition and crew members), where as a 37mm shell is more likely to just bounce around inside of the turret instead of passing through (greater chance of killing crew members and igniting amunition).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 11:08:08 PM »
Historical Tiger IIs had armor of varying quality (see: Soviet tests on captured Tiger IIs) where the one in AH likely has good armor from earlier production batches that performs as expected by the designers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »
i say if you can turret a TigerII with a low velocity T34/76mm round you can kill a tiger from the side point blank with the 75mm sherman too
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
I tried it offline from all sides @ all angles.  The 75mm AP is just as effective as a Panther's smoke rounds even when firing directly into the rear of the Tiger II.

Yes that was my experience and at least 2 shells into the tracks to track a tiger which I don't understand.

My conclussion was the 75 sherman is incapable of killing a tiger in any likely circumstance in the ma since a side or rear shot at point blank range is not sufficient.

Off line:

10+ hits on the rear armour at point blank to get the Tiger Smoking.

About another 10 to kill it.

I tried the same test against the basic t34 with actually very similar results, The 75 mm gun is almost totally ineffective.

If we ever get the Cromwell I hope we get the version with the original British 6 lb anti tank round.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:18:53 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 08:58:13 AM »
Yes that was my experience and at least 2 shells into the tracks to track a tiger which I don't understand.

My conclussion was the 75 sherman is incapable of killing a tiger in any likely circumstance in the ma since a side or rear shot at point blank range is not sufficient.

Off line:

I tried the same test against the basic t34 with actually very similar results, The 75 mm gun is almost totally ineffective.

If we ever get the Cromwell I hope we get the version with the original British 6 lb anti tank round.

Bollocks is right, the only 75mm gun that can defeat the Tiger II is the Panther G.  I killed one with 1 shot to the rear from a panther yesterday.  I've also done offline testing with most other tanks and found the Firefly and T-34 85 HVAP to be for the most part not effective.

I think adding the M-18 and its ability to maneuver would be a huge help to the game and help make the Tiger II less of a menace.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »

Off line:

Here's the Penetration table for the Tiger and King Tiger -

My 2 cents are - Even the Cromwell with a 6-Pdr APCBC round will not take down a Tiger from the Front, and far less then 800 from the Sides of a Tiger. So both M4(75) And Cromwell will do town killings in Aces high while other tanks like the T34/85 has to either Flank a Tiger/King Tiger.

By the way, the Table that shows the T34/85's penetration from the Front of the tiger is correct - its an AP Round at 500m to kill a Tiger from the front, HVAP However will do further then 1k.

Again if someone wants a Sherman to kill a Panther/Tiger/King Tiger then up a Sherman Firefly which is what they were designed to do.
The Tables clearly show a Firefly can knock a tiger out at under 2k.
JG 52

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
Offline testing has showed me that the Firefly takes several shots to take down a Tiger II, even from the rear.

On top of that if we ever do get the Cromwell, my Irish heritage sorta precludes me from using it.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
Offline testing has showed me that the Firefly takes several shots to take down a Tiger II, even from the rear.

On top of that if we ever do get the Cromwell, my Irish heritage sorta precludes me from using it.

Cmon my English Heritage sort of precludes me from even talking to you other than to tell you to get off your land  :D

I thought the cromwell with pottentially a 40mph top speed and the British 6 llber might fullfill a new role rather than being a different version of the M475. It would have speed and some chance at least against heavy tanks when outflanking.

Thanks for the post Butcher :salute
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »

You must have been stupidly far away then

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »

Question are you shooting the tank directly in the engine or the rear Turret? I can easily kill a King Tiger at 2k away from the rear in a Firefly.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
don't aim at the engine. Once you damage that, all it does is act as extra armor. A very nice way to quickly kill tigers  with the M4(75) (I haven't tried with the Tiger II yet) is to damage the engine (or track it) and turret him. Then drive up right behind him and put a shell (HE or AP, it didn't matter when I tried it) down onto his engine decking.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
Question are you shooting the tank directly in the engine or the rear Turret? I can easily kill a King Tiger at 2k away from the rear in a Firefly.

Musta been @ too much of an angle.  Just checked again and when shooting perpendicular to the armor it penetrates nicely (that's what she said).  From an angle it tends to ricochet.  Same story with the side armor.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
Offline, I've killed a Tiger II through the front using the Panzer IV H.  It is hard though, have to hit the right spot on the turret facing.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-