Author Topic: Need help with varmit  (Read 1449 times)

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Need help with varmit
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
well,since your in a neighborhood i wouldnt reccomend any firearm.silenced or not if someone sees you shooting in your front yard your F :banana: ked

if i was you I'd go to walmart and get a high powered BB gun.a pellet pistol Co2 powered could probably pack enough punch to wound it and it will bleed out somewhere down the road.a BB rifle would be about 150$ but if you hit it i dont think theres a chance it would survive.

make sure you shoot for vital spots.above the shoulders(front legs)neck,or head.aiming above the shoulders will hit the lungs and cause them to fill with blood witch will then kill it.
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Here in Harris County Texas cats and dogs have to kept penned or on a leash.

Build a pen for your cat to play in outside and fence the yard.

Not knowing the laws in your area means folks can't be very helpful.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
well,since your in a neighborhood i wouldnt reccomend any firearm.silenced or not if someone sees you shooting in your front yard your F :banana: ked

if i was you I'd go to walmart and get a high powered BB gun.a pellet pistol Co2 powered could probably pack enough punch to wound it and it will bleed out somewhere down the road.a BB rifle would be about 150$ but if you hit it i dont think theres a chance it would survive.

make sure you shoot for vital spots.above the shoulders(front legs)neck,or head.aiming above the shoulders will hit the lungs and cause them to fill with blood witch will then kill it.

Pellet guns are still considered a firearm.

As are slingshots, blow darts, etc...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »

Worst advice ever - kill it by all means, but do not let it suffer a painful, lingering death. Even a coyote deserves better. Not aimed at you Thunder, just a personal gripe that irritates me.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
Here in Harris County Texas cats and dogs have to kept penned or on a leash.

Build a pen for your cat to play in outside and fence the yard.

Not knowing the laws in your area means folks can't be very helpful.
your not that far away from me lol.Anyway,i dont even think you need to a license to shoot coyotes(in Texas)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:21:03 PM by M0nkey_Man »
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 01:22:16 PM »
Call the state fish and game. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
your not that far away from me lol.Anyway,i dont even think you need to a license to shoot coyotes(in Texas)

In Illinois, coyotes are about the only thing that you can legally hunt with a high powered rifle.  You do need a general hunting license and I believe a habitat stamp.  The season is all year, I think (except maybe during deer season) and you are allowed to hunt coyotes at night during fox season (in November I beleive).

I would have to check the regulations though to be sure of any of it.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
+1

Also realize that there is more than one coyote, and once you eliminate one, by what ever means, it will become more difficult to eliminate the others. Coyotes are intelligent, highly adaptive, and they thrive in urban areas.

I suggest that you don't break the law dealing with this problem, and depending on what the laws are in your area even trying to live trap the animal may be illegal. If I was in your situation I would call, and try to get your neighbors to call animal control and report the coyotes every time you see them.

Honestly my money is on the coyotes. You may be able to thin the numbers down, and drive them out of your area for a while, but they will recover and come back to snack.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the Animal Control around where I live is a joke. They're letting this happen around here and I know coyotes are smart, I've hunted them before. I'm really afraid I wouldn't be able to trap it. I could call TPW, but it would be a long time before they did anything about it as well. Maybe I should invest in some subsonic 22 rounds for my 1022
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »

I'm not trying to be mean, but the Animal Control around where I live is a joke. They're letting this happen around here and I know coyotes are smart, I've hunted them before. I'm really afraid I wouldn't be able to trap it. I could call TPW, but it would be a long time before they did anything about it as well. Maybe I should invest in some subsonic 22 rounds for my 1022

Sounds like you have already decided.

Aim true.

Burn the carcass.

Deny everything.

Good luck  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »

A 10/22 wouldn't be my first choice for such an operation.  The subsonic rounds probably won't cycle the action, but I guess that won't matter if you are only shooting once.  If it were me, I would use a single shot bolt action 22.  But that's because I have one already.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »
Sounds like you have already decided.

Aim true.

Burn the carcass.

Deny everything.

Good luck  :aok
Believe me, I'm gonna aim true, but I'm gonna string the carcass up on my property line as a warning to any other unfriendly critters or coyotes. And if that doesn't work, rinse, repeat.

A 10/22 wouldn't be my first choice for such an operation.  The subsonic rounds probably won't cycle the action, but I guess that won't matter if you are only shooting once.  If it were me, I would use a single shot bolt action 22.  But that's because I have one already.
Mayb, I've used them in my Mossberg plinkster before and they seemed to work fine. I could just use that one then.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Do you have bow hunting skills?  Take the screen off a window, put out some bait and sit in the dark.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »
Worst advice ever - kill it by all means, but do not let it suffer a painful, lingering death. Even a coyote deserves better. Not aimed at you Thunder, just a personal gripe that irritates me.

Wurz

ok,but look at how most deer and big game are killed.they either asphyxiate or bleed out.all my deer,elk,and bore kills have been clean shots but that doesnt mean they die on the spot.ive had to track down bores a mile and a half.I didnt know an animal could even have that much blood.I agree with you on the suffering but its either a coyote that every wants gone or a pet that no one wants to lose.thats what it comes down to.
Pellet guns are still considered a firearm.

As are slingshots, blow darts, etc...

yes they are considered a firearm.but less likely someone is going to be worried about a BB gun rather then an accual rifle or pistol.also alot quieter then a .22.making a supressor is out of the question for this 1.best route would be a BB gun or bow.but you still dont want to make it obvious of what you are doing
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
Tell all the neighbors what is happening and someone else will do it for you.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Get a stuffed cat make it meow and fill it with rat poison.
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat