Author Topic: I HATE PUFFY FLAK COADING and refuse to fly in areas that have it  (Read 6053 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: I HATE PUFFY FLAK COADING and refuse to fly in areas that have it
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
puffy ack is supposed to be annoying....duh

:bhead
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:24:07 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that without the proxy fuses it took something like 400 rounds to get a hit.  With the proxy fuses it came down to 40?  In the game, 1 round from 5K me things should not be happening.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
Let me provide an example of why the current "puffy ack" coding is, er, unrealistic....

I'm flying at 8,000 feet, the enemy fleet is just visible at the limits of vision. Everything is sunk, except a single destroyer. Yet, the volume of puffy ack is unabated... Moreover, there are at least 6 aircraft closer to the destroyer than I am. A Fletcher class destroyer has five 5" guns. So, explain why I can count dozens of ack puffs near me. Who is shooting? Clearly, something other than that lone destroyer. Where does this amazing volume of fire come from, and why is it present?
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
turn off automagic puffy ack and just make the guns mannable. might double or triple the # of manned positions, I think, but at least you'll get killed by another person and not the frickin' computer.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
I think the bigger problem is how close the CV can be brought to the coast. It makes defending almost impossible sometimes.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Online Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
Hmm...  The ack deters people from veing around it...   Working as intended? ;)

I agree it would be an excellent target for improvementm. +1

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Three response deep hijack..nice. 

I get puffy ack, but the threat detection piece (range) is a bit odd.  I have been hit waaaayyy out in a 262, varying my alt 1k at a time.  No so sure if the computer back then could anticipate a flight path the way the current system does.  That said, the ack SHOULD be lethal enough to kill a flight of approaching bombers, or at least reduce the number by one.  +1 do a re-look, make it more lethal closer would be my 2 cents.  CV fights promote fighting. 

Question for the uber knowledge section.... does the FLAK capability of a carrier group diminish as the group is destroyed?     
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
I think the bigger problem is how close the CV can be brought to the coast. It makes defending almost impossible sometimes.

DING DING DING We have a winner! :aok

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
Flak seems to be an individual front end situation. What I mean is, I can be flying with a squaddy in a sector both 5 miles from the CV. I see puffy ack shooting at me but nothing around him. He sees puffy ack around him but nothing by me. Correct me if I am wrong there.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »
puffy ack should be down when the cruiser is destroyed. or simply erased from the game :airplane:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:51 PM »
Do bomber boxes always get through to the CV? How often do you bomber pilots loose your whole box at alt to auto only ack before you get your bombs off? CV's get sunk like clock work from what I can see. How often is it puffy ack killing our fighters during furballs opposed to the manned 5inchers?

Most often if I don't get too close to the ships the auto puffy dosen't kill me. It's the player gunners in the manned 5". Yes it's annoying to get auto puffy ack at 25k yards away out of sight or 3k high closer to the ships while furballing. I think I've only been auto killed that way half a dozen times over the years. Most everytime the puffy ack kills me a name is associated with the kill.

How often do we die by manned versus auto ack?

Bringing a CV inside of 20,000 yards to shore as a fighter supressant seems a bit gamey. But, isn't that a concession to being able to get LVT's with troops feet dry inside of 10-15 minutes because of their slow speeds and vulnerability? Whats the maximum distance from shore before you can launch LVT's? Is that controlling why CV's can be parked almost on the beach as a giant ack barge?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
I must be weird....I love flying into puffy ack (auto-ack anyways). It gives me that realistic feel. Like I'm flying back in time (especially in my B17's).

Even when I up a fighter I do just fine. I think these girls are just upset over manned ack. ;)
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Hmm...  The ack deters people from veing around it...   Working as intended? ;)

I agree it would be an excellent target for improvementm. +1

Wiley.

OK, I give, is that a Canadian something I obviously know nothing about ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline longtime

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »
Citabria..talk to HTC. Posting it is just whining.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
Breaking News: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-waaa. This is Dr. Sniffle Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Fussin'
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech