Author Topic: I HATE PUFFY FLAK COADING and refuse to fly in areas that have it  (Read 6045 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: I HATE PUFFY FLAK COADING and refuse to fly in areas that have it
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
it should be suicide to fly into the path of CV puufy ack alone.  Same goes for the industrial complex. 

What is the issue again???

That its not suicide? Puffy ack should barely be considered a deterent, yet alone a defensive measure.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
weeken, mod it, lessen it but KEEP IT i like the feeling of flying through it in bombers

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
Sorry but I think our puffy ack should do more than just drop frame rates. I can literally count on my thumbs the number of times I've been killed by auto-puffy.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
Do bomber boxes always get through to the CV? How often do you bomber pilots loose your whole box at alt to auto only ack before you get your bombs off? CV's get sunk like clock work from what I can see. How often is it puffy ack killing our fighters during furballs opposed to the manned 5inchers?

Most often if I don't get too close to the ships the auto puffy dosen't kill me. It's the player gunners in the manned 5". Yes it's annoying to get auto puffy ack at 25k yards away out of sight or 3k high closer to the ships while furballing. I think I've only been auto killed that way half a dozen times over the years. Most everytime the puffy ack kills me a name is associated with the kill.

How often do we die by manned versus auto ack?

Bringing a CV inside of 20,000 yards to shore as a fighter supressant seems a bit gamey. But, isn't that a concession to being able to get LVT's with troops feet dry inside of 10-15 minutes because of their slow speeds and vulnerability? Whats the maximum distance from shore before you can launch LVT's? Is that controlling why CV's can be parked almost on the beach as a giant ack barge?

bustr, I don't recall losing all 3 buffs to auto ack.  I bomb from 5.5 and after drop will turn my buffs to evade puffy ack, at most I will get a smoking engine but that's from regular ack.  I have tried doing the same thing in a pony diving and turning at 500mph, I have never been successful at coming out alive.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 12:55:44 AM »
Sorry but I think our puffy ack should do more than just drop frame rates. I can literally count on my thumbs the number of times I've been killed by auto-puffy.

fly a light fighter above 3000 feet 5+ miles from a cv more often... while there's 10 targets closer.. and a set of bombers dropping on it.    :aok

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:57:19 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »
*sigh* What are you girls crying about??? I'm going to post a SS in just a second from less than 15 minutes ago.

In this scenario there were two enemy 110's flying WELL within CV firing range, yet neither one of them went down due to flak. They were both shot down by me.

They flew for a good while near the CV (more interested in chasing a lone B17 than messing with the CV). Look at the dispersion in the flak. -_-

If you want I'll even post a SS looking down at the fleet they were flying right next to....

(EDIT: Even in the film - neither one takes a single piece of damage from the flak.)

Quit demanding that the game be easier for you. If you don't like flak then hit normal fields & ports. Leave the strat bombing and CV killing to the big kids.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:27:14 AM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:35 AM »
Let me provide an example of why the current "puffy ack" coding is, er, unrealistic....

I'm flying at 8,000 feet, the enemy fleet is just visible at the limits of vision. Everything is sunk, except a single destroyer. Yet, the volume of puffy ack is unabated... Moreover, there are at least 6 aircraft closer to the destroyer than I am. A Fletcher class destroyer has five 5" guns. So, explain why I can count dozens of ack puffs near me. Who is shooting? Clearly, something other than that lone destroyer. Where does this amazing volume of fire come from, and why is it present?

I KNOW WHERE ITS COMING FROM!!!!!!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
*sigh* What are you girls crying about??? I'm going to post a SS in just a second from less than 15 minutes ago.

*sigh* This is what us girls are crying about.  Happens all the time, but this actually happened yesterday and I saved the film just for this thread.  I popped 3k and instantly was Oil Leaked princess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8gHii2CHes

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
That's pretty good, it got ya on the first round,  I'm sure that was a most common occurence in ww2 :rolleyes: (now, after re-coading, if we can STILL make it prioritize 262's above all else......)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
My anecdotal puffy ack experience is usually that the 'cheap hits' occur when you're cruising along straight and level, maybe you don't even see the CV, first shot, instant damage.  Much like what Grizz illustrated.  If you're maneuvering as you cross the threshold and come into range, then I find the puffy is mostly for show, which is what Marine's screenshot might indicate. 

I was climbing to engage a P51 at 20k once and watched him turn into a fireball with the first ack salvo from the carrier group I'd launched from.  Laughed hard, got the proxy, felt bad for the guy.  He was less than amused. :)

I don't mind the puffy, I'm just not fond of it being (apparently) independent of how much of the carrier group is down, and the ability to snipe people at ludicrous range doesn't make for good gameplay IMO.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
The current state of CV Group auto puffy ack.

1.}Fighters become oil cherried princesses, pilot wounded or dead by being in the same sector any alt above 3k?
2.}Bombers are immune to puffy ack?
3.}CV's are glorified ack barges parkable off the end of runways?
5.}Puffy ack volume does not reduce proportional to destroyed ships in a logical manner?
6.}CV puffy ack is a squids best freind?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
7.   Puffy ack is just as effective at 39,999 feet as it is at 3000 feet.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Grizz, I've never had that happen with auto-ack. Ever.

I've lost a wing and all that jazz but isn't the point of a WWII Air Combat simulator #1 rule to survival situational awareness?

Fighters aren't meant to hit strats. As for CV ack - It's mostly the manned guns you need to worry about. If you keep getting hit with auto - how about you battle under 3K and get some buff tards like me in there to knock it out?

I love puffy ack - even when I'm at 40K getting pieces in the wings of my B29.

It's a game - you can re-up & it's not that big of an issue to anyone with decent patience. :)

:salute
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
If you keep getting hit with auto - how about you battle under 3K and get some buff tards like me in there to knock it out?

IIRC, even if you bufftard the entire task group, the auto puffy still fires, doesn't it?  :headscratch:

anyway, the 3k thing is just arbitrary. why doesn't auto puffy just go all the way down to sea level? because then people would be getting vulched on their own airbases, by the fricking computer -- park a CV within 10 miles of a base, and its insta-vulched. HTC decided on 3k somewhere along the way, Who knows why?

why not 1k or 8k or 10k or 15k+?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »

why not 1k or 8k or 10k or 15k+?

Why 12 hour time switch?  Why not 4, 6, 8?  Best answer I got regarding that was "That's the way it's always been" which is basically the equivalent of your dad telling you when you're young, "Cuz I said so".