Author Topic: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me  (Read 9149 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: 12 hour rule and the "less" fun it created for me
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »
So when the side you're sticking with has nothing but large green bardars on both fronts,get ganging with the rest of em?  Gee. That sounds like fun!

Wiley.

don't go to the horde just start your own fight. It's easy to do, just go say hi at the enemies airfield or vehicle base   :cheers:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 12:34:17 AM »

Nothing makes you do this. When that happens on nits I take a P51D with maximum fuel and go find a bish/rook fight to join. Taking the rough with the smooth, sir.

But, my Kills per Hour!
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:55 AM »
Score is very important business, Cactus, as well you know!

Mayhem, I believe one very good thing the new limit accomplishes is stopping a player spotting a mission on the side they are playing for and instantly switching sides and rolling a 262 or other equaly uber fighter to benefit from that knowledge. Sure enough people can still do this once, but they will have to think carefully about their switch, because they wont be able to do another one for the rest of the night.  I think switching sides to kill people you were on the same team as is poor sportsmanship and goes against everything I play the game for. When I switch sides I make a point of fighting the other team to the one I just left. I do not run missions so this is my neutral perspective on the subject of switching to mission bust. My spelling and grammar are worse than yours!  :neener:

S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »
So when the side you're sticking with has nothing but large green bardars on both fronts,get ganging with the rest of em?  Gee. That sounds like fun!

Wiley.

it's usually easy enough to start a small fight somewhere else, just take a few guys with ord to smack up a town and 9 times out of 10 you get a scrap out of it

JUGgler thinks he's got it bad with 12 hours, but we have to stay Bish for 2 whole months  :uhoh   it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be though
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:41 AM »
Score is very important business, Cactus, as well you know!

Mayhem, I believe one very good thing the new limit accomplishes is stopping a player spotting a mission on the side they are playing for and instantly switching sides and rolling a 262 or other equaly uber fighter to benefit from that knowledge. Sure enough people can still do this once, but they will have to think carefully about their switch, because they wont be able to do another one for the rest of the night.  I think switching sides to kill people you were on the same team as is poor sportsmanship and goes against everything I play the game for. When I switch sides I make a point of fighting the other team to the one I just left. I do not run missions so this is my neutral perspective on the subject of switching to mission bust. My spelling and grammar are worse than yours!  :neener:

S!

It won't stop it at all. Nothing stops a player from doing that on a 12 hour limit. It just keeps him from doing it again in less then 12 hours. How often and how many times can the same guy do this any way.

More often the naught missions go to crap because the noobs running it haven't figured out Radar and the Dar Bar yet. The other sides see's the huge dar bar and starts spamming country chan with "Mission!!!!" then nearly the entire country ups for the ubber fight or easy kills on heavy P51's trying to run NOE.

Spying can be solved by some really disgruntled players and twitter account. Taking it well outside the reach of enforcement. Spying very rarely involves side changes. And if some one did change to your side to spy would you want him there on your side spying for an hour or 12 hours?

You do bring up a very good point, but I think the real reason most people want the 12 hour rule is they are to immature to handle people changing sides in the game. They hate getting their butts handed to them, by the wingy they where ankle humping an hour ago, for saving same said butts. Some people Take this cartoon game so seriously and to such immature. levels they probably have an alter with a chess piece on it and have their own pledge and special salute worked out.

I've been playing AH since Beta I don't think the 12 hour rules makes any difference at all, over the 1 hour rule. However with Side balancing still in effect the 12 hour can sure make the game less enjoyable, and people that don't enjoy the game often leave.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:12:18 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
Well Midway, while there will always probably be exceptions, yours is the first claim I've heard of. I'm sure there will be others, but the almost constant claim of "SPIES,SPIES" everywhere isn't heard that much now.

Nutz

Well, all that proves is that the definition of a "spy" for the paranoid ones was anyone that switched sides.  I wonder if it now clicks that it was not spying that caused their NOE to get destroyed. 
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 10:16:06 AM »

Nothing makes you do this. When that happens on nits I take a P51D with maximum fuel and go find a bish/rook fight to join. Taking the rough with the smooth, sir.

:huh So...  Instead of being able to switch sides to find a good fight, you propose flying alone 3/4 of an hour out of my way round trip to take on two sides at once?  Really?  This is good gameplay and a viable solution?

All I'm saying is, I like defending outnumbered.  Not solo, outnumbered.  That's how I get my fun.  Yes, I can up and go jabo a field and have a chance to get a couple responses perhaps.  I could also up a GV and drive it to the enemy field and start shooting buildings.  I could also drive a jeep across the map to occupy myself.  Doesn't mean it's fun.

I'm also in a squad that doesn't like to side switch, which is fine.  My point is, there used to be a really simple option if I was on alone and wasn't expecting a squaddie on for at least an hour or so.  I could go to one of the opposite sides and have some fun and excitement, fighting in the kind of fight I wanted.  The fight I wanted was right there, I was just on the wrong side of it.

That option's gone now for no other reason I can discern than the foot stomping of an extraordinarily paranoid subset of the playerbase.

*shrug*  Honestly I didn't do it that often because generally I do try to find some kind of fight without switching, usually by the aforementioned dropping of ord on an out of the way field, but it irks me that the option is gone now.

The long switching time and the ENY/perk penalties if you're on the side that's got high numbers seem to me to be counterproductive, working against one another in a bad way.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 10:30:08 AM »
That option's gone now for no other reason I can discern than the foot stomping of an extraordinarily paranoid subset of the playerbase.

apparently it's always been 12 hours with one Late War arena as opposed to two

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Lately finding the horde to get smacked around by hasn't been too bad. Although there is an ebb and flow to the action and it seems to "ebb and flow" within a couple hours and with the 1 hour times I could follow this "ebb and flow" quite easily. Also if I happened to be buzzing around and see the 80th or others in "green" I would immediately switch and seek them out, "it is just fun for me" for some good action. I understand what batfink (the nicest guy in AH) is saying but I still find it too restrictive. Maybe the real issue with me is it further restricts my freedom of choice for something I pay for, after all being an American, FREEDOM is in our DNA  :aok

Maybe IF there was some way to tell on the clipboard map who on the other 2 countries was hording or being horded I could make an "informed decision" on where to use my "12 hour" switch. As it is now you only see darbars in red. How about changing the color of the dar to be color specific for each country? Then I could switch once a day to a country that may be experiencing more of "my style" of action!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
apparently it's always been 12 hours with one Late War arena as opposed to two

Right, but I think it's reasonable to assume it was the original reason to have it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Little story a friend told me:

So he's looking through some details and realizes that the amount of rebar/configuration-of-rebar in a particular condition in concrete is incorrect.  So he tells the person in charge that it is incorrect based on the code and then shows appropriate way it should be done.  The guy's response was "That's the way we've always done it", as if that was some sort of justification for doing it wrong for another 10 years. 

I'm not sure I know the point of this story but I do know the only justification for 12 hour switch time from 1 hour switch time I have heard is that it used to be 12 hours, as if that is some sort of justification.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
I wonder if it now clicks that it was not spying that caused their NOE to get destroyed. 

The paranoid ones will never admit it Ded and they will now be screaming for cross-country communications to be closed next.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
don't go to the horde just start your own fight. It's easy to do, just go say hi at the enemies airfield or vehicle base   :cheers:

Circle a field? more like they sit in a man gun and wait for you to get bored than risk upping a plane.  :D

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
Right, but I think it's reasonable to assume it was the original reason to have it.

Wiley.

If it was always 12 hours, before the split arenas, I don't see why you would assume that HiTech decided on 12 hours because of "the foot stomping" of a section of the playerbase...maybe I'm missing something  :headscratch:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
If it was always 12 hours, before the split arenas, I don't see why you would assume that HiTech decided on 12 hours because of "the foot stomping" of a section of the playerbase...maybe I'm missing something  :headscratch:

What is the reason for the side switching time limit other than spiez?  I don't know of one.

Wiley.

JG11