Author Topic: "You have landed successfully."  (Read 7601 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: "You have landed successfully."
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 04:29:48 PM »
I assume since Krusty has stopped posting, that he has conceded defeat.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
When do we start really dying?

The beauty of it, is that you can provide as much cartoon realism or as little as you want in your imagination, cause nothing in this game is real other then the people sitting at their computers pretending.

If you need a perk or point motivation to look for that kind of motivation, I'd suggest you lack imagination.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
The only time I belly land is when I see someone coming in to strafe me and I'm already committed to the landing. I'll drop a flap, get in the air, raise gear and flop back down.

Either way, complaining about someone belly landing is so petty it is laughable. How does that affect your game play in any fashion? Maybe just for spite, I'll take off and let my airspeed rip off my landing gear instead. Hopefully, it will bring the complaints to a crescendo.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
What about an incentive to rearm your aircraft?  That might make for some more "wheels down" landings

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
 :huh Gentlemen...  I am in awe of the way some of you can find the tiniest little things to look down upon people for.  Might I suggest future topics for tearing people down to be things such as using a HOTAS?  They give people a gamey advantage because the controls in the real thing weren't nearly that conveniently placed.  Other topics might include improper flap usage on taking off or landing.  Clearly these things are degrading the pure, wholesome gaming experience you desire...

As to the idea about a bonus for landing gear down, I like it.  I'd say it should be very small though, no more than 10%.  I also am in favor of a modifier based on damage.  You're not 'costing' your side the materiel to repair your aircraft, that should be worth something.  Landing with no damage means effectively, you made no mistakes.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »

Either way, complaining about someone belly landing is so petty it is laughable. How does that affect your game play in any fashion? Maybe just for spite, I'll take off and let my airspeed rip off my landing gear instead. Hopefully, it will bring the complaints to a crescendo.

I agree it is petty.  But, who ever complained about someone belly landing Delirium?

This is a classic example of a knee jerk soap box reaction without even reading the contents of the thread.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:54:07 PM by grizz441 »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
I agree it is petty.  But, who ever complained about someone belly landing Delirium?

This is a classic example of a knee jerk soap box reaction without even reading the contents of the thread.

it seemed like a veiled complaint to me too :headscratch:

and I may be even more of a belly lander then you, I always belly land, simple reason for that though...I don't know where my gear lever is..... :rofl

no seriously, I do always belly land, but I can land wheels down, just easier to belly land and get back in the air faster..gamey....well I am playing a game :uhoh

I guess if I rearmed every sortie it would cut my sortie per death score.....

oh wait I don't give a crap about score/rank

carry on :old:

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »
If flying non-realistic is ok then HTC shouldn't be required to model planes to historical performance.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »
But, who ever complained about someone belly landing Delirium?

The original poster did.

it seemed like a veiled complaint to me too :headscratch:

Glad I wasn't the only one.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
The original poster did.

I just reread it and did not feel like he was whining about anything, in fact he made an effort to say even he lands belly up plenty of the time.  What piece of his OP specifically was "petty"?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
wow even if no perks are awarded i will still land with wheels up anytime i feel like it (except the spit even if i wanted to I cant  :rofl) .  hell you can keep the points too, only reason I even attempt to rank low is to get control of the cv.   

it's stupid how some of you guys try to "regulate" other players by changing some silly rules that most other guys dont really care about.  why dont you guys go after the bombers that go off the map to avoid getting shot down.  that's more detrimental to the game than some silly "must land with gear down" rule.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Warble warble warble!

To be crystal clear: This post was never created to criticize people's habits or to look down upon any other player. This post exists to see the population's reception (or lack thereof) to adding an incentive to land; not to punish anyone! People seem to get offended by this notion as if you assume this would change your experience. Compliance would be strictly voluntary. We could argue the definition of a successful landing for eternity since perspective is involved, but I don't think we could argue that during WW2 aviators would not regularly put aircraft down on their bellies on the runway (with an operational gear). So next argument is that "we aren't WW2 aviators, we're nerds with computers." Sure, that's true, but isn't a "high fidelity" game with an emphasis on the "art" of WW2 aircraft supposed to support and encourage a healthy level of realistic habits? Next I hear the "it's my $14.95 and I'll play how I like." Well of course. I would never ask you to do otherwise. This wish doesn't effect you so why are you so bothered by it?
Dedstick

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »
wow even if no perks are awarded i will still land with wheels up anytime i feel like it (except the spit even if i wanted to I cant  :rofl) .  hell you can keep the points too, only reason I even attempt to rank low is to get control of the cv.   

So you would be butthurt if you knew players were receiving a slight perk increase because they were returning their airplanes in mint condition, where you chose to tear your wings off and snap your propeller off on the concrete?  Is that what you are saying?

I wonder if the players that never land are butthurt that the players that are landing their planes are receiving a bonus.  How is this any different?  

Landing with a gear getting you more points than crash landing.  Oh the humanity!   :rofl You guys make me laugh.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
I think what some of us are saying, apparently not to clearly, is it won't change a thing for us.

If HTC feels it's important enough to change, it won't matter to me either.  I idea of 'realism' can be overdone in something that isn't real.  This never will be real. 

How many squads go out and return in formation.  Have you ever seen fighters land like they did for real?  Once in a while some of the squaddies and I will either in pairs or a flight of four, try and do the fighter break, where on landing you come across the field and at spaced intervals break off into the pattern and try and get the birds on the ground as soon as you  can.  Watch any of the old films and that's what they 'really' did.  Other then it looked good in a screenshot and it was fun to try and make it look real, we didn't need any points or perks to give it a try.

What people put into the game to add to the immersion is really on them.  Folks know my MA approach.  If i get back at all it's generally wreckage.

One of the things I enjoy in scenarios is trying to do it closer to the 'truth'.  Staying 'alive' matters.  Getting back matters.  One of the fun things back in DGS was the 38s in my group coming back to the field together and putting it down and then taxiing in, lining the birds up and shutting down together.  We got no points, and didn't do it for any reason other then it looked good and added to the immersion. 

Again, if HTC wants to give folks incentives for it, it won't change a thing for me :) 

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »
So you would be butthurt if you knew players were receiving a slight perk increase because they were returning their airplanes in mint condition, where you chose to tear your wings off and snap your propeller off on the concrete?  Is that what you are saying?

I wonder if the players that never land are butthurt that the players that are landing their planes are receiving a bonus.  How is this any different?  

Landing with a gear getting you more points than crash landing.  Oh the humanity!   :rofl You guys make me laugh.

well if I say that i would still land wheels up even if i got no points anyway.  why would i be butthurt if somebody got points landing wheels down?  isnt it the same thing?  what I am getting butthurt is your silliness at trying to get extra points for doing nothing different than what you do now.  because seriously what is so hard about landing wheels down?  what is next, getting extra points for using flaps while landing?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.