Author Topic: Horse just Died  (Read 342 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Horse just Died
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
Well this is one weird story that happened to me two days ago, i was over at my friends house they raise Arabian horses to sell and they also run a stud service for Horses also, well when i was over there he was telling me that his 10,000 Arabian Mare was acting up the night before so they had the Vet come out, he checked her over and they gave her some Castor oil through a tube into her stomach, he said she seemed to be ok after that.

Well as I'm scratching the horse's ears and forhead she got this real weird look in her face and eyes almost a dazed look and she started to lean on the 3 rail steel fence they have to subdivide the pens, She was using the fence to keep her balance, she then stumbled forward into the water trough, by then me and my bud were already going into the Pen the horse was in real bad distress, we got the Horse out of the trough and up on its legs again. it then did the same thing using the fence to help it stand, with in seconds she let out a horrible sound as she feel on the ground onto her side, we both rushed to her.  seeing the tears in my friends eyes i knew she was dying he covered her eyes and i sat there with him calmly talking to her, she then let out one deep crying sound and she passed, i cant tell you how i felt it was the most horrible thing i just dealt with in a long time, we both sat there with tears running down our cheeks, it was just sad and I'm still feeling weird about seeing that, still have that image and sounds in my head.  He said he will let me know what the Vet finds out after all the tests are ran.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:34:06 AM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
Re: Horse just Died
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
she's in horsey heaven now... feel happy for her... :salute
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
that sux bad :(

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
You get real attached to horses, they're more than just animals imho.  Sorry for your friend's loss and your experience.  I got a sad horse story myself (a long one too, looks like I got ot break it into two posts...)

When I was 16 I was working my first summer as an assistant range master at a Scout camp.  Our duties ranged from cleaning every gun and sweeping up all the brass used the week prior, to instructing and teaching proper safety, shooting techniques and skills and responding the the occasional call by the resident forest ranger when needed for a possie to deal with everything posing an imediate threat throughout the summer, from rattlers to bears.  A good buddy of mine since we were like 7 or 8, Jeff, was also working that summer down at the stables as a wrangler, this was his second year working the same camp and he dragged me along in the spring to help set it up for this year.  In the end I was thankful, and I would of been anyways but especial because that secured me a spot working on the shootign range that summer.  

We ended up sharing the same tent in the staff camp since we were both working the same 6 weeks there.  It worked out to my vantage mostly because more nights than not he'd be out sleeping on the trail overnight or down at the coral overnight keeping watch, and I'd always be up late and one of the last staff to turn in, playing cards (especialy if we had some older female explorer scouts visiting that week, the "good" ones never did follow the camp's curfew and knew the easy out was at the staff card table) or reading a book or fixing a rifle if some part(s) arived in the mail that evening.  Worked out for him too because nights where he didn't have to watch the stables or be out on the trail usualy I did as an armed "guide" (this was a bad bear year, there had already been one put down and two other known trouble bears frequenting the region, and the biggest bastage, a large male black bear, we suspecting was comming down with rabies or getting desperate).

So it comes around to the start of our 5th week.  Saturday morning we ship out all the guests that were with us for the week before, the next batch weren't due to start arriving until noon on Sunday.  By 1pm on Saturday 95% of the staffers are racing to town with most their paychecks for the week in hand and doing our best to have the most fun and trouble without having to get bailed out from the sheriff by our budy, the camps local resident goverment forest ranger, or worse our parents back home.  Jeff and I probabley found some girl visiting and camping with friends on the river that weekend or some college guys up on the river for the weekend and a large party to keep ourselves occupied and out of trouble with until the wee hours of the morning, as long as we were at roll call by 10am, all was well.

About an hour before dawn we roll back into camp down the road after sobering up for a couple hours (the sheriff was alright for the most part and our hijinks, but had 0 tollerance for underage DUI).  The first building along the entrance before getting into the heart of the camp is the resident ranger's.  Something was up, his kitchen (his office) and all his porch lights we on, so we slowed down and he popped out the door to see who it was and urgently waved us in.  I belive his name was Jim.  He was a scrapy silver long-haired fellow in his late 40s that was at the end of the rope to his career in the forset service.  He had a drinking problem sometimes and his wife left him a long time before he got bumped down to being stuck out there 24/7/365 working as a liason/representative of the forest service for us and our camp.  Telling by the few things he had around the place decorating the walls, he was an army vet, likely Vietnam, but he never talked about it, and it never came up.  He resented his life most the time, but getting stuck out there babysitting us was the best thing to happen for him in a long time, he loved the outdoors and peace and quiet, and with exception to summer and the camp being fully active, he had that there 9 months outa the year.  He was also a good ways out of the way from his supervisors that might come waking him up at dawn and smeel the residuals of his previous night's drinking.  As for us kids, the way he saw it, he was into a lot worse stuff around our age, and look how his life turned up, so we were always forgiven by him before we even explained the situation.

We headed up to the porch, and he walks out, unusually wide awake for him at this hour, and hands me his regular revolver in a spare belt holster and "the black guncase" key for the range.  He was sporting his magnum and had his rifle over his shoulder.   "I just called the vet. Jeff, something's happened to your horse, I'll tell you along the way." He motioned to his pickup and Jeff before turning to me and checking me over quickly to make sure I wasn't ripe from the river.  "Make sure that's loaded, the big bear is around.  We're riding at first light to try and tack him down.  I haven't seen anyone else from the range yet.  Get enough big stuff from the case for 5 of us, yourself and anyone else you grab from the range along your way.  Meet the rest of us down at the stables ASAP."  "Got it." And I took off for the staff camp imediatley to see if anyone else from the range had returned earlier.  I found one other and was also able to raise outa bed Mike who worked the range the previous year but also had more experience with the camp's horses than I did.  

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »
If something was going down at the stables, Mike would want to be there, so he snapped wide awake once my words stopped passing through his unawake brain.  He ended up doing most the talking the rest of the way as changed pants and shoes in my tent and all the way to the range that I knew as much about it all as he did.  He was thouroughly worked up and ready to go kill a bear that he presumed had attacked a horse by the time we were walking into the range office/storage room.  Five minutes later we left with 5 various deer rifles (donations too large to let scouts use and too powerful for regular use on our small .22 or skeet ranges), ontop of my favorite - a single-action 45-70 rifle we called our "Buffalo Rifle" and sometimes brought out as a treat during the week to reward a good class of young shooters, and for my two comrades in arms our two pump-action 12-guages with buck shot (pristene guns too, about the only action they saw was when dealing with problems in camp or staff skeet shoots). 

As we walked to the stables I joked they'd never get close enough to use them, and they mussed that they hoped they wouldn't have to, or else they'd have to clean our camp's pump action shotguns this week (a relative chore compared to the camp's mainstay of single or bolt action guns).  Dawn was aproaching now and the sky was begining to glow red beyond the horizon.  We were passing by the lake now where Mike was working at the marina as a sail and rowing instructor this year. 

Mike spouted "Red sky in the morning...".  "Good thing I'm a rangemaster today." We all chuckled nervously, knowing soon we'd be at the stables and figure out what was in store for us today.  We needed lights to see back at the range but now we could see what we were doing infront of us in the morning twilight.  The stables soon came into sight in the meadow a distance below the small manmade dam that held back the bulk of the camp's lake. 

We were walking next to the trail following along the small river streaming through the meadow from the base of the damn.  Through the dawn glow we could see some trucks and a group of shadowy figures hunkered together around a position along the outer perimiter of one of the outer pens.  There was obviously a huge fuss going on around something, but we couldn't make anything clearly out, and from our distance no sounds penetrated the sound of the river.

About just over 100 yards away still just starting away from the river and closer twords the group of shadowy figures we could start making out the weak and waining crys of a horse that was clearly suffering and exhausted.  It all started about a little over an hour before, me and Jeff had just been back in camp for barely a half hour.  The stable guard woke up and found the horses flipping out.  The "big bastage" he claimed was running around after the horses, bouncing around from pen to pen.  He finally let loose a shot into the air that scared him off into the woods, but not before "the bastage" spooked one horse so bad that it tried to jump or reared near the edge of the pen, thuroughly impailng itself on a post.  Either through panic or further intagonation by the bear, the railing got snapped off, and the horse had worked itself all the way through and down to the ground.  Attempts to do something about it without further hurting the horse didn't work.  By the time Jeff got there he went with persuading everyone to wait for the vet and prey that maybe they could do something.  Unfortunatley they couldn't, only end her suffering.  Most of us confided to him that they were going to put her down, be at least an hour away, and we could end her suffering quickly right then and there if he wanted.  He didn't, and we respected his wishes to wait for the vet.

At our camp we had one wrangler per horse during the summer.  This made sure each horse had undivided attention to their needs or stresses.  It ensured each horse had someone to spoil them every day (and not everyone everyday) and made sure they got just rewards with time off in the meadow for putting up with a bunch of young scouts the day before.  It was very bonding, and wranglers often returned year after year to tend to the same horse.  It was such a case with this horse and Jeff, he had learned to ride her when he was younger and just a scout and not on the staff.  He formed a bond with her and spend a lot of free time at the corals and with her wrangler learning the horse.  He wanted to be a wrangler, and when he learned his favorite horse's wrangler wouldn't be around the next summer, he jumped and landed the spot.  It was no mystery to everyone in camp that he was a devoted wrangler and she was his horse, and he was her favorite person.

The poor girl still had about another 30 minutes to wait until the vet finally showed up and promptly uthanised her, Jeff was there comforting her since he arrived.  Those not misserabley upset were simply angry, myself being one of the most.  This was also the summer Jeff's parents were going at it with each other in a bloody divorce.  This bear messed with the wrong horse in camp.  To my knowledge nobody ever asked the ranger the question, at least I didn't, he just gave the answer "lets go find him and get him" after a couple other wranglers had said their parting wishes to the mare and got some horses saddled up and ready.  This was the last straw for a troublesome bear that we should of dealt with weeks ago when he started "surfing" the edge of camp in broad daylight, but we settled for simpley running off.  We knew he was likely in the area and what direction he took off it, so we set off and a couple hours later and one nail biting end where "the bastage" charged us on the horses ended his mischief... I was wrong earlier, Mike did end up getting close enough to use the buck shot, 3-times, in rapid succession.  I offered to clean his gun for it, but he told me to screw off, he'd do it himself and he offered to cover my classes at the range if I needed someone to as I helped Jeff.  He covered my monday morning classes as I sent Jeff off and back home that morning.  He didn't have to go home, and he honestly probabley didn't want to, but it was better than him staying there.  To this day he's never quite been the same, and to my knowledge has avoided returning to that area ever again.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
Tuff deal Zoom.

Life sucks sometimes.