Author Topic: 418 Squadron, RCAF skins request  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
418 Squadron, RCAF skins request
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I have been looking for online images, but no luck.  I will make Scherf aware of this thread as well and get some photo evidence.

What I am looking for in a skin for the Mosquito Mk VI and one for the Boston Mk III for 418 Squadron.  They started in Boston IIIs and then switched to Mosquito VIs, ending up as the top scoring Canadian squadron.  They were also one of the few Mosquito VI squadrons authorized to run Day Ranger operations.

I know the Boston Mk III skin may have to wait until it is redone by HTC.

Thanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 418 Squadron, RCAF skins request
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
I have been looking for online images, but no luck.  I will make Scherf aware of this thread as well and get some photo evidence.

What I am looking for in a skin for the Mosquito Mk VI and one for the Boston Mk III for 418 Squadron.  They started in Boston IIIs and then switched to Mosquito VIs, ending up as the top scoring Canadian squadron.  They were also one of the few Mosquito VI squadrons authorized to run Day Ranger operations.

I know the Boston Mk III skin may have to wait until it is redone by HTC.

Thanks.
http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1942/3/whitfieldharold.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk914/516687348/in/photostream/

http://www.418squadron.ca/intrude.html

http://www.418squadron.ca/intrude.html

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/hst/boston-fra.asp

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:45:25 PM by lyric1 »

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »
Either 'Black Rufe' or "Hairless Joe' would be good choices.  Not sure if there are stretching issues on the Mossie's nose that would limit either of them.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »
Either 'Black Rufe' or "Hairless Joe' would be good choices.  Not sure if there are stretching issues on the Mossie's nose that would limit either of them.
I can do better scans if any one needs them.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »

FBMkVI "Hairless Joe"

FBmkVI "Black Rufe"

Have a look around here
http://www.acesofww2.com/Canada/aces/418_Squadron.htm

:salute
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:52:47 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
Megladon,

Yes, those are much clearer.  

Thank you.

Any skinners interested in doing one of those?  Black Rufe would be my preference, but I am not picky.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:21:00 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Here is another, flown by Flight Lieutenant Lou Luma when he downed an Me410 nightfighter. He was the only American to ace in the Mosquito.

Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Since we don't have any black bellied MKVI's IN GAME I kind have always liked this plane.

Moonbeam  Mc swine?

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/avi/decal_avi_24005.shtml

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=494

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
I would much appreciate it, lyric1.

Thank you.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
I would much appreciate it, lyric1.

Thank you.
No worries I just noticed the name on your last post. Your pictures are not showing up on my end though?

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
I had planned on doing a 418 skin, just haven't had the time to do any skinning in AH2 lately, it's been all MSFS and DCS: A-10C. Really looking forward to the finalized P-40s though, will probably pull me back in. If nobody jumps on this one I'll end up doing it eventually, just won't be in the next week or so ;)
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
Morning All,

The best images I have of 418 Squadron Bostons are of this machine, in overall black, markings duplicated on port side, to judge by some small shots of other aircraft (serial number, squadron codes and "Ottawa Ontario" in dull red):

Most of the best-known 418 Squadron Mossies have already been mentioned in this thread - my favourite is TH-J, City of Edmonton, the one in the pic above of Sid Seid and his dawg Mostitch.

There were however many more unique noseart examples, mostly characters from the L'il Abner strip. Mark Proulx is so far as I know still planning a 418 Squadron book, and I believe it's his intention to link as many of the noseart craft to serial numbers, provide operational histories, etc. Not sure of publication date, he was still trying to scrounge photos last time I asked him.

Here's another view of TH-J. I am all but certain the date given is incorrect - Sid Seid didn't join 418 Sqn until after D-Day, and the craft appears with all the kill markings in a group shot in October 1944. I'm also certain the serial number is incorrect - NT115 didn't appear in the Squadron Operations Record Book until January 1845, when 418 had already been transferred away from Intruder duties to 2nd TAF. I believe the serial should be as in the decal graphics above. See also above re: Mark Proulx's book.

Two points of order, Mr Speaker. First, I wonder whether or not the original noseart is going to interfere with the area of the AH skin reserved for AH squad logos. Second, the swastis will have to be changed to crosses - Swastis sind verboten, mein Lieber.

Think I have a close-up of the squadron logo, will try to post.

Here 'tis:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:28:48 PM by Scherf »
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:22:33 PM by Scherf »
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
triple
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:22:58 PM by Scherf »