Author Topic: More - better GV battles  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: More - better GV battles
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

I just don't understand why you would come into the best place in the world for birds to fly and choose not to.

Because variety is the spice of life.

Get down and get dirty.
See Rule #4

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
Because variety is the spice of life.

Get down and get dirty.

Hehe.  Good answer sir !

And you didn't cast any aspersions on my moral terpitude, bring doubt upon my genetic makeup, or call me names.

I really posted for an answer too, not just to call you guys frogs  :O Play on GV'ers  :rock glad you are all here!  :cheers:
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »

And you didn't cast any aspersions on my moral terpitude, bring doubt upon my genetic makeup, or call me names.

Because there is no need for that Zoney.

Whether we like it or not, we are all in this thing together. And if we fail to realize that we'll be without this thing altogether.

:salute

Now go kill.
See Rule #4

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »

Not possible for single days, but...

(Image removed from quote.)

Tour 20 is a randomly selected AH1 tour, it was a much different game back then not just because of the players but also because of different (and often less) gameplay options.

Thanks Lusche, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Now, do you have one for a current tour so a comparison can be done.  I am curious if GV usage is higher than it was in the past.

Thanks

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline steveb999

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »

Ugh. The current map is horrible for generating GV battles. Went from 2 days of GV bliss to spending 3 hours looking for a battle, firing maybe 10 shots, killing 1 tank, getting totally bored and logging off. Wake me up when the map changes.......

Zed

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 06:36:35 AM »
Thanks Lusche, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Now, do you have one for a current tour so a comparison can be done.  I am curious if GV usage is higher than it was in the past.

Tour 138 ended only about 3 weeks ago. Not recent enough? ;)
I personally could not think of any reason the GV usage should have drastically changed in the last 20 days, especially as the big change is now about 3 months ago and did not have any immediate or even mid-term impact on the overall GV usage time as you can see above.
But if anything surprising happens, I will let you know :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 06:38:17 AM »
Ugh. The current map is horrible for generating GV battles. Went from 2 days of GV bliss to spending 3 hours looking for a battle, firing maybe 10 shots, killing 1 tank, getting totally bored and logging off. Wake me up when the map changes.......

Zed

Well, I guess that's a problem when a player narrows down his interests and participation in this game to a very small and distinct aspect of the gameplay. Broaden your horizon and have more fun  :old:

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »
To be honest, I still dislike the GV update, only because the distortion or opacity placed on some tank sights wears my eyes out.  I think they should be clear.  That said, tank fights now take place at the distances they should.  Tank fights are also easier.  What I mean by this is:  With fixed zoom tanks sights, and with a moveable range graduation, it is much easier to be consistent with hit after hit.  With the old system, the urge was to change the amount of zoom, which resulted in a shift of your aiming perspective relative to the range of the vehicle.

I still believe that there should be places on all maps where it is exceedingly difficult to bomb GV fights.  The Grinder map (more of these) is a great example.  The perimeter is lined with V-Bases, all lined by high canyon walls.  They have little strategic value, and are in depth, so if some one captures on, there is probably still another out there. 

If I were to make any recommended change to promote "fair play"  I would say changed the graphics slider to have a GV and airplane setting.  Currently you can reduce your vis range to 1.5k.  Meaning, you can turn off all trees, etc... and then you would start seeing things.  This used to be OK, because tanks were shooting 3k with the mega zoom sights so if you wanted to have a prayer of defending yourself you had to be able to see that far.  Now, I feel most kills I have gotten have been in the 800-1.2k range.  (good armor model).  I would recommend that the slider brackets be 500m/3k/5k etc.... to prevent guys from lowering their settings and getting an edge.  This I think is why some guys feel there are being "shot through trees" etc....

Still a thumbs up from a very vocal "I hate the GV update guy".  Please clear the sights up if you want to keep a guy like me online for an extra hour.  It just hurts to squint at a "foggy" tank sight for very long. 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 07:08:26 AM »
I still believe that there should be places on all maps where it is exceedingly difficult to bomb GV fights.

And once again I must think of the best GV combat are we have, tank town on trinity, which is well shielded from planes, has multiple bases and spawns, expanses of open terrain mixed with well covered terrain and a town for suspenseful hide-and-seek combat... and is empty, while thousands of kills are made at the point&click spawn at A135 are made ;)

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:18 AM »
Zed,

:aok :aok :aok The latest "gv" update has made gving far more enjoyable to me.  I agree though that some maps make it much more enjoyable than others.  Give it some time though, I seem to notice that gv's are becoming less and less of a fight separate from the air war, and that the two seem to be starting to compliment one another.  I'm comfortable that as things settle in they will only get better for everyone.

For instance, the addition of the M3 75mm has allowed for the increase of using gv's to destroy towns, however their vulnerability to aircraft gunfire requires that they have ample light fighters to cover them.  In turn, this means that the non bomb toting attackers aren't able to bomb**** defending armor...  And of course, now the attackers have to bring there own armor to deal with them...

etc.etc. etc... The community is still discovering what does and doesn't work, but all in all there's a lot more of us in gv's trying to figure it out.

(btw, I'm the one in the T34-85 that's always facing the wrong direction, and has a great big target painted on his arse)

<S>
vNucks

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
Tour 138 ended only about 3 weeks ago. Not recent enough? ;)
I personally could not think of any reason the GV usage should have drastically changed in the last 20 days, especially as the big change is now about 3 months ago and did not have any immediate or even mid-term impact on the overall GV usage time as you can see above.
But if anything surprising happens, I will let you know :)

Sorry, I misread the chart..

:salute

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »

You know who to thank for the map reset, too, that took us from a good map to a crappy map.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
Have had zero problem with driving GV on any map..........maybe a bit challenging on that one terrain full of steep mountains.

That said, the T34 is now useless on many terrains it used to be able to travel.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
The T34 engine is modelled correctly, imo.  It has a 4 speed transmission and anyone who knows anything about engines, transmissions, torque, RPM's, and engine load will understand WHY the T34 is not as spirited going up hill as it was prior to the addition of the auto transmission.  It is not worthless in the least bit, but its Achilles heel is more obvious now (low acceleration).

With regards to the tank sights and their clarity and asking HTC to go back to an "all clear-equal footing", I could not disagree more.  The difference in optical clarity is partially what helps further differentiate the tanks.  That is one of the best things about that big gv update.  The historically accurate tank sight reticles, optical clarity, and proper zoom capabilities have jumped AH light years ahead of where there were at.  The TC position and auto transmission are also good things, imo.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
The T34 get's stuck sideways on a gentle slope that the m4 will climb in 3rd gear.