Author Topic: P-40 "white #7"  (Read 16082 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-40 "white #7"
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »
Love the underside Ink, just beautiful.  :aok

thank ya kind sir :salute

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
ink,

I really like the updated version of your skin. The weathering is definitely coming into its own. A few key pointers that I am noticing on my end:

1. The olive drab doesn't appear to be the right shade of paint. Try darkening the paint up a little bit with more "brown". The paint right now looks a little bit too "green".
2. Reduce the paint chippings around the spinner and engine housing. I like your enthusiasm with detail and weathered looks, but it just looks out of place.
3. Take a look at the underside of the aircraft. You will see that the under wing connects to the rear fuselage. Your textures do not blend. Make sure that the textures blend seamlessly to give a more realistic representation of the paint scheme.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
ink,

I really like the updated version of your skin. The weathering is definitely coming into its own. A few key pointers that I am noticing on my end:

1. The olive drab doesn't appear to be the right shade of paint. Try darkening the paint up a little bit with more "brown". The paint right now looks a little bit too "green".
2. Reduce the paint chippings around the spinner and engine housing. I like your enthusiasm with detail and weathered looks, but it just looks out of place.
3. Take a look at the underside of the aircraft. You will see that the under wing connects to the rear fuselage. Your textures do not blend. Make sure that the textures blend seamlessly to give a more realistic representation of the paint scheme.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

thank ya...working on everything you mentioned :D

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
If you look at those pictures Lyric posted, you'll see there's no gun soot on top of the wing, but that there is a good deal of soot at the openings where the shell cases eject.  You get a couple details dialed in and this is gonna be a really nice skin.  I'll help Krusty out a little:  there's nothing wrong with taking liberties to create a skin of how an aircraft "could" be weathered.  The only suggestion would be to make sure that whatever you imagine is similar in the amount and type of weathering.  Last, there is a website out there (if indeed it still is) that has the actual Army/Navy paint shades in CMYK, RGB, etc. values.  Might help you get closer to the real thing first, and then you can fade it out.  http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/

Regardless, its still coming along nicely.

[EDIT]  If you go to the Paint Swatches link, they even have the AVG colors listed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:52:48 PM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2011, 12:25:41 AM »
If you look at those pictures Lyric posted, you'll see there's no gun soot on top of the wing, but that there is a good deal of soot at the openings where the shell cases eject.  You get a couple details dialed in and this is gonna be a really nice skin.  I'll help Krusty out a little:  there's nothing wrong with taking liberties to create a skin of how an aircraft "could" be weathered.  The only suggestion would be to make sure that whatever you imagine is similar in the amount and type of weathering.  Last, there is a website out there (if indeed it still is) that has the actual Army/Navy paint shades in CMYK, RGB, etc. values.  Might help you get closer to the real thing first, and then you can fade it out.  http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/

Regardless, its still coming along nicely.

[EDIT]  If you go to the Paint Swatches link, they even have the AVG colors listed.

awesome Thank you :salute

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:19 AM »
the p40 is looking very nice ink, perhaps a little more weathering on the belly?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
damn was I off on the color :O

Thanx to Stoney for pointing me in the direction for good colors.....awesome Stoney..Thank you :salute

..I set up a palate so if any that have GIMP want it let me know, this has most military colors you could want, plus some....

got a couple quick mock up shots with no weathering or dirt / grime .....what A change it makes giving it the right color  :rofl

seriously thanx to all who helped push me to get it right....its not perfect I know,  I see a few things I need to fine tune, but without all your input I would NEVER been able to get it to this level   :salute

the p40 is looking very nice ink, perhaps a little more weathering on the belly?

:D workin it

I should get it done tonight...no I will have it done tonight....on a side note...the KI-84 is in queue   :rock

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
 :O     looks fantastic  :aok       those colors are perfect IMO
-AoM-

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Looks fantastic Ink.   :aok
Just don't forget to add some OD green to the landing gear fairings.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
Looks fantastic Ink.   :aok
Just don't forget to add some OD green to the landing gear fairings.

:rofl

noticed that after I put up the pics :rofl

looking at them after you always see something that needs tweaking  :rofl

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
Looking forward to the finished version, ink! It is definitely good that you stuck with it for the long haul. I think once you finish this skin, you would have learned a lot of valuable information and skinning should come much easier for you. :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
I agree the new color looks much more correct.  Great job!

It looks like the green/gray interface area needs some tweaking to match the line created by the bottom rear of the wing - your green on the rear fuselage extends down a bit to far.   And a lot of times after you change the overall shade of the A/C, you need to go back and readjust the level of details like rivets and screws.  All real subjective stuff but every time you make a change, you gotta look at balance of ten other layers it seems.

I think the correct border between the green topside and underside gray should be a fine 'spray paint' brush.   I see this on the nose, but on the wings its a razor straight edge between the green and gray, and at other spots along the fuselage its a jagged edge border - you'll want the spray paint brush everywhere I think.  

Don't forget to fix the correct location of the underwing star insignia opposite the upper wing with the star if you haven't already.

Muzzle stains look much more authentic too!    :aok   And congrats on the Ki84 accepted!

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
Ink, this photo is of 3 fresh from the factory Corsairs before they have any tactical markings applied.  It gives you a good idea of how the paint transitions from one color to another.  Now, when I put some skins together, I had a base gray layer, and a base OD layer, then put a "sprayed" edge on the OD to make the transition.  You can see that its a fairly soft edge.  Obviously you can use whatever technique you like best.

Regardless, the new colors look really good.  I'm excited to see what all of your very detailed weathering looks like on top of the new base colors.  One last detail I'll point out is the engine exhaust soot color.  In Lyric's pics, you'll notice its more white-ish than black.  Most aircraft run a fairly leaned mixture, which produces a white/grayish color on paint (my real life aircraft had white/gray stains on the belly).  The only exceptions I've seen to this were P-47s and Corsairs.  I don't know if it was merely a matter of richer mixture or what.  Hellcats had a lighter stain, so its not something common to the R-2800 across the board.  P-47 soot comes out of the waste-gate, so I don't know if the turbo-charging aparatus makes it darker or what, but most P-47s that I've seen have a much darker soot color.  Anyway, looking very good my friend.

[EDIT] I went back through Lyric's pics and can't see a uniform color.  Some are darker and some are lighter.  Could be they started out running them richer, and then ran them leaner as time went on.  

[EDIT #2]  Also, don't forget that the control surfaces (at least some) were fabric covered.  Greebo does a really nice subdued fabric effect and Fester has some good ones too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:48:16 AM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »
hehe

you guys are funny :rofl

guess what i been working on the last couple hours....a quick peek :D

:salute

thanx.....I am psyched it's on the queue list :D....I have had a lot of folks asking about it, I am happy that most like it and this P40....I am gonna do as many as I can, I am overwhelmed by the pm's and in game encouragement, the requests for me to skin planes is ......ahhh cant explain it....almost better then doing a tattoo on someone..and that's saying a lot......   

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
Great minds, right?

HiTech