Author Topic: F3 mode has got to go  (Read 5062 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: F3 mode has got to go
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »
icepack so b26 shouldn't have f3?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »
Not quite right there is only a few instances where the western allies used them & only a couple of kills recorded.

The Russians on the other hand did use them a lot as fighters. I have been looking for info & there is not a lot out there. How ever the Russians did a lot of weird & wonderful things with their A20's. Air to air rockets rear ward air to air rockets for enemy's who got on their six & they do have recorded kills that I have been finding out about.

Point being the Russians were thinking out of the box with the A20 we in the west chose not to fight with it & didn't for the most part. With time when more Russian information makes it's way west hopefully we will have a better appreciation for what this aircraft was capable of.

As far as F3 mode is concerned when it next gets remodeled & the ventral gun is added sure get rid of it.

As some one who uses  the A20 & Boston a lot to dog fight with I can tell you shooting in F3 mode is useless. Only time I use F3 mode is to pan about to see who is getting on my six.

russian were not thinking "out of the box".  to them it was about stopping the germans no matter what.  they would send whatever they could get their hands on and send it up to kill anything or die.  I remember reading here about how the germans would shoot the lead plane as they were the only one who had info about targets, or whatever and the rest would just fly straight until they ran out of gas and crashed.

I am pretty sure if you look hard enough that a few fighters were shot down with .45 pistols.  but it doesnt mean we had squads of guys defending bases against air raids with just their side arms.

semp

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
russian were not thinking "out of the box".  to them it was about stopping the germans no matter what.  they would send whatever they could get their hands on and send it up to kill anything or die.  I remember reading here about how the germans would shoot the lead plane as they were the only one who had info about targets, or whatever and the rest would just fly straight until they ran out of gas and crashed.

I am pretty sure if you look hard enough that a few fighters were shot down with .45 pistols.  but it doesnt mean we had squads of guys defending bases against air raids with just their side arms.

semp
You clearly have not read anything about the Russians & there use with the A-20. If you had you would not have made the above post.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:52 AM »
Although I would prefer it if the A-20 had no F3 view, I definitely will take advantage of having F3 view when I fly it.  Its effectiveness makes it the M-18 of airplanes.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 02:36:14 AM »
I would like to see F3-Mode be disabled for all A/C and vehicles in the MA, but only if there was some sort of replacement for the SA that is lost.

F3-Mode seems natural given that our crews don't really exist, they can't fire on their own and they don't communicate about targets and threats. So tapping F3 and twirling the hatswitch around seems like a simple solution to achieve the abilities of a full, well-trained, and experienced crew.

I think if pictures of the corresponding number key(s) mapped to the different positions throughout the craft appeared at the top of the screen when an enemy icon appears in its cone of fire, F3-Mode could be disabled. The game would be a little more realistic and the game would be more in-depth and dynamic. Some bombers will have blind spots, some will have several positions light up at once, and "Ghost's-eye View" will be gone forever.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 03:29:55 AM »
You clearly have not read anything about the Russians & there use with the A-20. If you had you would not have made the above post.

ever seen enemy at the gates.  where the soldiers who retreated were shot by the russians? or you ever hear about the russians the german's captured as pow how they were executed by the russians upon liberation.  there was no outside of the box.  they gave people a weapon, some bullets, a plane or whatever and they told them to go kill and die trying or they would be shot.

semp

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »
oh sure, if Jude Law says so it must be verified historical truth.  :)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Ive seen enemy at the gates several times, I dont remember any A20s in it though  :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
Anyone pwnd in a fighter by an A20 (in a dogfight) is welcome to fill out this form and send it to Helen Waite  (in triplicate, of course)

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
You forgot to specify which paper shredder to file this form in once completed.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
ever seen enemy at the gates.  where the soldiers who retreated were shot by the russians? or you ever hear about the russians the german's captured as pow how they were executed by the russians upon liberation.  there was no outside of the box.  they gave people a weapon, some bullets, a plane or whatever and they told them to go kill and die trying or they would be shot.

semp
:bhead

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
 :bhead

Reminds of the time when these B25J's took off from a Nuclear Aircraft Carrier to bomb Tokyo. Or the time the Germans used M60 Patton tanks to assault General Patton during the battle of Kasserine Pass.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
oh sure, if Jude Law says so it must be verified historical truth.  :)

Well it was, right? :O  ...You mean it's not?  ...But Ben Affleck and Cuba Gooding really WERE at Pearl Harbor, right?

So confused now...

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
Ive seen enemy at the gates several times, I dont remember any A20s in it though  :headscratch:

I read my post,  I didn't day there were.

semp

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »
Anyone pwnd in a fighter by an A20 (in a dogfight) is welcome to fill out this form and send it to Helen Waite  (in triplicate, of course)

Well they got their way with continued sniveling about the IL2 being such a dangerous ATA fighter :headscratch: so why not now the A20 ? Most of all since its so much faster, climbs better, and probably outurns the IL2. Plus it has a rear gun that can actually hurt you, along with a P-47s worth in its nose. Thats the official story at least.

Course the 8 500lb bombs in it has nothing to do with it. Now does F3s ability to help you line up GVs prior to your dive. :lol
Yes, your on "Ignore"