Author Topic: So hows the game these days?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: So hows the game these days?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
If the lack of white knuckle 1v1s is the major reason you left, I'm afraid you're not going to find too much different these days in the MA.  It's a free-for-all in there, and the majority either dives out as soon as they lose advantage or flies in a group.

In a cursory search of the forums, I found the first horde mention for AH that I saw was in mid-2001.  I didn't look that hard, but I'm betting there were earlier ones.

I have been formulating a theory that you old guys remember about 15 minutes after the servers came up in May of 2000, before enough people logged in that 10 or 20 of them figured out that if they all go to one place and somewhat work together, they can push the other side around.  That first 15 minutes when the servers opened became the 'good old days' and is what you judge the rest of your gameplay experience by.

I'm sorry you can't find enough 1v1s.  I don't understand why the people who want unmolested turn-based 1v1s don't organize to go into the DA and do it, but it doesn't seem to happen for whatever reason.

Wiley.

Has nothing to do with expecting 1v1's or good ole days. It was never that good when I was here before, was still the same stuff then. No where did I mention good ole days.. Just that quality of fights has always left a lot to be desired.

The game is what the players make it. We have the tools to make it good or bad, but unfortunately it seems most are interested in just landing 4 or 5 easy cherry pick kills & getting WTG's vs pushing their own limits to become good virtual fighter sticks and maybe not landing at all because they died in a hard fight. The players that push their own limits are what makes the game better and makes other players push their limits.

It's not about good ole days or 1v1s but rather attitude of playing on easy mode vs trying to play on hard. I think when you hear people talking about the "good ole days" it's not so much that the game was different, but there were more people that wanted to play on hard mode. There have always been hoards, cherry pickers, hotards, ect, but there has also been a bit more respect for the actual fights mixed in there that keeps getting diluted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:16:06 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:29 AM »
It's not so much a 1 vs 1 , its a battle that we look for. "In the old days" people fought for bases you could, and would spend hours taking defending, and retaking a base. That was were the fun was. All kinds of battles were to be had. Ground or air there were tons if fights.

Today players are more interested in grabbing a base quick and then run off and find another place to grab another one quick. So now you spend your time either chasing the quick graders, or are part of the group of quick grabbers.

I hope some day the players who like fighting find their way into the game.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
It's not so much a 1 vs 1 , its a battle that we look for. "In the old days" people fought for bases you could, and would spend hours taking defending, and retaking a base. That was were the fun was. All kinds of battles were to be had. Ground or air there were tons if fights.

Today players are more interested in grabbing a base quick and then run off and find another place to grab another one quick. So now you spend your time either chasing the quick graders, or are part of the group of quick grabbers.

I hope some day the players who like fighting find their way into the game.

Yea I'm not really into capturing bases, but I don't mind defending them. Last night, what made the fight fun for me was because the group that was trying to capture it kept trying over and over. They didn't give up and run off to some other undefended base for a quick capture they kept coming back over and over and trying to capture it.
"strafing"

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
I guess my good Ole days were more like:

Entering a fight 1 vs 1 and someone would ask if you wanted help before jumping in to BNZ your foe
Working togather to capture bases or do fighter sweeps
Players looking for a good fight that engaged upon view and would come back to meet you over and over
Yucking it up with guys on 200 even when you lost to them
Meeting up with other squads for a night of play
Fighting other squads in the DA (Squad VS Squad)for bragging rights then complimenting the winner
Doing GV or aircraft missions where the entire squad would meet to be involved

Those are the days I miss.
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »
Yea I'm not really into capturing bases, but I don't mind defending them. Last night, what made the fight fun for me was because the group that was trying to capture it kept trying over and over. They didn't give up and run off to some other undefended base for a quick capture they kept coming back over and over and trying to capture it.

That's a semi-common kind of fight these days.  What usually ruins it is one side or the other gets discouraged and leaves, or the other side suddenly has a horde show up that wipes the other side, and the fight dies.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »
:rofl  I think we're talking about two totally different Bettys!

lol thats hilarious!! funny thing is, is when i first started playin AH, i had NO idea there was a plane nicknamed "betty" lol. kind of ironic though lol
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!