Author Topic: Degrees per second  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
Degrees per second
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »
Hi, is there a way to work out the degrees per second I am achieving in a turn?
In a flat turn can I use the G meter to work it out?

I realise the g meter can't be used for this in turns with a vert component due to the gravity effect.

Maybe I am wrong in what I am looking for.  Simply want to get the best out of my plane without
ruining it's performance by over-pulling in turns.

I usually ride P40e and 109e in EW
or FM2 F6F in MW

I don't go LW much

Any help appreciated

Klam
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Re: Degrees per second
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »
Klam, first, let me say I have no idea how to calculate DPS. But let me save you a bunch of time by telling you that trying to fly (in combat) while calculating things like DPS, G's, and other mathematical stuff is not going to be practical while in the middle of a fight. Now I know that some people will disagree with me on this(I can already feel the wrath of the g33ks  :D), but it really boils down to flying a lot and knowing your plane like the back of your hand.  If you want to get the best out of your ride you have to fly it a lot and fly it to it's strengths(very basic stuff, true nonetheless).  Now I'm not saying to not learn things like corner speed or stall speeds which can be useful to know; but keeping it simple and learning to recognize all the nooks of your ride (by feel) will serve you better in the long run. If you're trying to find the "edge" the best thing you can do is get a buddy on a similar skill level to 1v1 with you in the DA. This will serve you much better than solving mathematical problems while fighting.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:21:26 AM by Messiah »
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:09:58 AM »
Messiah is spot on here, air combat is far to fluid to get into such depth during a fight  :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
I agree, one should not be "trying to calculate best DPS or best CV turn" during a dogfight........

the better option would be to "know these things about your plane type / about other opponent plane types" long before you ever take off to fly a sortie

knowing these things can only help you be better at obtaining the best performance one can during a fight

you can find all this information, yourself, by using Badboy's AH BootStrap Calculator ( it has instructions on how to go about testing )

AH BootStrap Calculator Help & Training Thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,284578.0.html

AH BootStrap Calculator Download Link: http://www.badz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Academy/AH_BootStrap.zip

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:01 AM »
Also, one could search for Spatula's AH Plane Comparison Chart that he developed..... it is another good piece of Study Material

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:20 AM »
Klam if you film while flying in circles you can time a turn for 360 degrees and figure out your degrees per second. It's easier to time the film than it is to time your turn while holding a flat turn at a given speed and G load. Finding your best sustained turn speed is a painstaking process but you can get close just by finding the speed where you can pull 2.5 G without speeding up or slowing down in a flat turn.

As a general rule if you can't pull 2.5 Gs you are going too slow. There will be many times in a slow fight where you have to pull hard to get a shot or to avoid getting shot but, as soon as you can, just ease your pull and get your speed up again.

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:33 AM »
Finding your best sustained turn speed is a painstaking process but you can get close just by finding the speed where you can pull 2.5 G without speeding up or slowing down in a flat turn.

As a general rule if you can't pull 2.5 Gs you are going too slow.

Thank you Sir....That is what I was looking for.  <S>
=Anglo-Saxon=

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
Finding your best sustained turn speed is a painstaking process but you can get close just by finding the speed where you can pull 2.5 G without speeding up or slowing down in a flat turn.

Sorry I typed this in a hurry at work. I should have said the SLOWEST speed where you can pull about 2.5 Gs without slowing down.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:31 AM »
Turn performance is one of the least useful things to remember about your plane. The test conditions almost never apply to reality. Max speed makes a bit more sense - it is well defined and there are many scenarios where the test actually apply to reality, like long chases. When was the last time you went round and round in perfect flat circles with an opponent who kept the same speed as you?

The only turn related statistic that may be worth 1 byte of your memory storage is the minimum speed at which you can pull into blackout - above it you know that no one will pull more G than you and they will black out if they do.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »
And note that the numbers you are looking for are very specific for the weight of the plane and other things, like altitude.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
Thanks for all the posts to my question. 

All the opinions as to why I would ask are greatfully acknowledged.

One of my reasons was to have a better understanding of my e management.
Pulling a "near blackout" in every turn wasn't doing me any favours.  Blowing too much e getting myself round after a pass left me
with a big disadvantage in a lot of my fights.  I think I was rushing things a little.
I make most of my turns with some sort vertical component but I found I didn't use the e I already had effectively. 
Pulling slashbacks and immel's too tight.  I sacrificed the alt or speed I could have had for a snapshot on the next merge.
Conserving/spending my e a little better and using it more effectively in my limited ACM to make better angles is my goal.
The planes I like to fly don't accelerate too well so it seems a good idea to manage them better.
The G meter I was told can be used as an indicator for drag, which led to my question of degrees per second in sustained turns.

Thanks for the help

Klam   

=Anglo-Saxon=

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
You can always go into the TA and just do maneuvers watching the G-meter without having to worry about getting shot while doing them. It can give you a feel for the maneuver and E usage.

G-meter as a drag indicator, new one to me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:22:39 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »
You can always go into the TA and just do maneuvers watching the G-meter without having to worry about getting shot while doing them. It can give you a feel for the maneuver and E usage.

G-meter as a drag indicator, new one to me.  :headscratch:

The G load on the wing is from the lift and with the lift you get induced drag in proportion. Some people just fly to the stall horn as if speed and G load don't matter and they end up turning slower than they would at their best sustained turn speed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:21:25 PM by FLS »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
The G load on the wing is from the lift and with the lift you get induced drag in proportion. Some people just fly to the stall horn as if speed and G load don't matter and they end up turning slower than they would at their best sustained turn speed.

Makes sense, no more head scratching  :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
Makes sense, no more head scratching  :)

Personally I think of it as the turn rate meter not the drag meter.  ;)