Author Topic: Grammar class is in session!!  (Read 883 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Grammar class is in session!!
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
Inspired by the "math class" thread I'd like to express my feelings about several grammatical errors that occur around here, the most common of which revolve around the improper use of the apostrophe!

Let us first learn the two most common uses of an apostrophe in the English language:

1> The apostrophe is used before the letter "S" at the end of a word to indicate ownership.  If that word already ends in an "S" then the apostrophe is usually moved to the end of the word.

PROPER EXAMPLES:  
Skuzzy's computer will never have Flash or Java installed.
The Axis' forces did not know how to make a good sandwich!
Those cars' tires have all been slashed!

I see a lot of people who are sticking an apostrophe in a word just because it ends in the letter "S".  This is usually incorrect and more often than not the apostrophe is not required.

IMPROPER EXAMPLES (Remove the apostrophe in these examples to make them correct):
There are two car's in the parking lot.
Two computer's were used to test the most recent Aces High update.

JUST BECAUSE A WORD ENDS IN THE LETTER "S" DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PUT AN APOSTROPHE BEFORE IT!  IF IN DOUBT DON'T USE ONE!

There are some exceptions which will be discussed below.

2> The apostrophe is used to join two words together.  This is usually used to represent how the English language is actually spoken.

EXAMPLES:
The words "we" and "are" can be combined to make the following sentence:  We're going to have a memorial flight next week to observe the anniversary of 9/11.
The words "he" and "is" can be combined as well:  He's not going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.
The words "is" and "not" can also be combined to mean the same thing:  He isn't going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.

Of course there are many other ways to combine two words together in this manner just keep in mind that when in doubt forget about the apostrophe and just type out both words.  "Who are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" looks a lot better than "Who're the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" (Especially if you forget to type the apostrophe!)

Also when the two rules conflict with each other rule #2 usually takes precedence.  Take the words "its" and "it's" for example.  "It's" is a short version for "It is" therefore "its" would be an example of an exception for rule #1 above.

PROPER EXAMPLES:
It's a wonderful world.
(Talking about Skuzzy's computer) Its computing power is superior because it doesn't have to run Flash or Java.

Since this relates we'll also talk about the following words below that are commonly misused:

"Your" means something the belongs to you:  Your computer is faster than mine.
"You're" is short for "You are":  You're going to regret stalling out in that maneuver.

"There" is a place:  There is Dale's sheep.
"They're" is short for "They are":  They're very cute and fluffy!
"Their" indicates ownership:  The programmers at HiTech really like to make jokes about their sheep!

There are of course many other grammatical errors that occur but what I've explained here is by far the most common.  For more information feel free to refer to the following website. http://www.youryoure.com/

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:38:28 PM by Tigger29 »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Grammar class is in session!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
If you teach everybody correct writing skills you will remove my ability to silently mock them for ignorance and or stupidity. 

Are you going to write up the correct use of commas next?  :neener:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
 :headscratch:  i'm guessing the lollipop gang has finally gotten on tigger's (<---proper apostrophe use) last nerve. i sympathize tigger but, i believe it's a lost cause. in the age of "brb rents r her", coming generations are doomed.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »
If you teach everybody correct writing skills, you will remove my ability to silently mock them for ignorance and/or stupidity. 

Are you going to write up the correct use of commas next?  :neener:

Fixed  :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
Of course there are many other ways to combine two words together in this manner just keep in mind that when in doubt forget about the apostrophe and just type out both words.  "Who are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" looks a lot better than "Who're the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" (Especially if you forget to type the apostrophe!)

To my knowledge, there exists no such word as "Who're".  At least not one punctuated as such.  ;)
The proper way to phrase the question would be: "Whom are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?"
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
Inspired by the "math class" thread I'd like to express my feelings about several grammatical errors that occur around here, the most common of which revolve around the improper use of the apostrophe!

Let us first learn the two most common uses of an apostrophe in the English language:

1> The apostrophe is used before the letter "S" at the end of a word to indicate ownership.  If that word already ends in an "S" then the apostrophe is usually moved to the end of the word.

PROPER EXAMPLES:  
Skuzzy's computer will never have Flash or Java installed.
The Axis' forces did not know how to make a good sandwich!
Those cars' tires have all been slashed!

I see a lot of people who are sticking an apostrophe in a word just because it ends in the letter "S".  This is usually incorrect and more often than not the apostrophe is not required.

IMPROPER EXAMPLES (Remove the apostrophe in these examples to make them correct):
There are two car's in the parking lot.
Two computer's were used to test the most recent Aces High update.

JUST BECAUSE A WORD ENDS IN THE LETTER "S" DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PUT AN APOSTROPHE BEFORE IT!  IF IN DOUBT DON'T USE ONE!

There are some exceptions which will be discussed below.

2> The apostrophe is used to join two words together.  This is usually used to represent how the English language is actually spoken.

EXAMPLES:
The words "we" and "are" can be combined to make the following sentence:  We're going to have a memorial flight next week to observe the anniversary of 9/11.
The words "he" and "is" can be combined as well:  He's not going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.
The words "is" and "not" can also be combined to mean the same thing:  He isn't going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.

Of course there are many other ways to combine two words together in this manner just keep in mind that when in doubt forget about the apostrophe and just type out both words.  "Who are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" looks a lot better than "Who're the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" (Especially if you forget to type the apostrophe!)

Also when the two rules conflict with each other rule #2 usually takes precedence.  Take the words "its" and "it's" for example.  "It's" is a short version for "It is" therefore "its" would be an example of an exception for rule #1 above.

PROPER EXAMPLES:
It's a wonderful world.
(Talking about Skuzzy's computer) Its computing power is superior because it doesn't have to run Flash or Java.

Since this relates we'll also talk about the following words below that are commonly misused:

"Your" means something the belongs to you:  Your computer is faster than mine.
"You're" is short (contraction?) for "You are":  You're going to regret stalling out in that maneuver.

"There" is a place:  There is Dale's sheep.
"They're" is short for "They are":  They're very cute and fluffy!
"Their" indicates ownership:  The programmers at HiTech really like to make jokes about their sheep!

There are of course many other grammatical errors that occur but what I've explained here is by far the most common.  For more information feel free to refer to the following website. http://www.youryoure.com/

perhaps you should correct yours.  your first sentence has several grammatical errors.  I can see at least 10 easy to identify errors.  and like my teacher always told me

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
Don't forget the uses of to, too, and two.
To - "I'm going to pork ords at A35."
Too - "Cool. I'll attack it too."
Two -"Take the two 500lb bombs."
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
:headscratch:  i'm guessing the lollipop gang has finally gotten on tigger's (<---proper apostrophe use) last nerve. i sympathize tigger but, i believe it's a lost cause. in the age of "brb rents r her", coming generations are doomed.

Gyrene is trolling for a correction on the proper use of the "shift" key when the letter "i" is used to refer to himself.  The "shift" key is also used to capitalize the first letter at the begining of a new sentence.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
To my knowledge, there exists no such word as "Who're".  At least not one punctuated as such.  ;)
The proper way to phrase the question would be: "Whom are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?"

Caldera has a few pictures of Who'res in his avatar!
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
Fixed  :D

*administers a solid kick to your groin.

Now you are fixed. :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »
Don't forget the uses of to, too, and two.
To - "I'm going to pork ords at A35."
Too - "Cool. I'll attack it too."
Two -"Take the two 500lb bombs."

While we're at it...  There, their, and they're..

The tank is over there.

Are we going to pork their ords?

They're headed this way, better grab some alt.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »
Caldera has a few pictures of Who'res in his avatar!

Don't talk about my girls like that.  They may be tarts, strumpets, harlots or trollops - but calling them Who'res is going too far! :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
Gyrene is trolling for a correction on the proper use of the "shift" key when the letter "i" is used to refer to himself.  The "shift" key is also used to capitalize the first letter at the begining of a new sentence.
trolling? trolling you say?  :headscratch:  nay sir 'tis a life choice.

to insert capital letters requires simultaneous use of two keys with fingers from one or both hands, i'm just too damn lazy to do it.  :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
trolling? trolling you say?  :headscratch:  nay sir 'tis a life choice.

to insert capital letters requires simultaneous use of two keys with fingers from one or both hands, i'm just too damn lazy to do it.  :D

Some of those fingers are needed for his joy... nah too easy.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Now we need a discussion on the proper uses of the quotation mark.

[edit] The thread topic is incorrect there is no double exclamation mark.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:33:31 PM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."