Author Topic: Why the 12 hour side switch is bad  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Why the 12 hour side switch is bad
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
There was even less than you think.  Back before ENY, F4U-1Cs ruled the skies.  They were literally everywhere and constituted a ridiculous proportion of the overall arena kills.  ENY (and perks) alleviated that problem pretty significantly, so it did do a pretty good job at diversifying things.

If memory serves it wasn't ENY that alleviated the F4U-1C scourge, but the 8 perk price tag that was attached to them. I thought ENY came later.

That's my recollection at least which admittedly is a little fuzzy after all the years in AH.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
There was even less than you think.  Back before ENY, F4U-1Cs ruled the skies.  They were literally everywhere and constituted a ridiculous proportion of the overall arena kills.  ENY (and perks) alleviated that problem pretty significantly, so it did do a pretty good job at diversifying things.

Did it really makes things more diverse or did it just level the playing field more?

There is a difference...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
If memory serves it wasn't ENY that alleviated the F4U-1C scourge, but the 8 perk price tag that was attached to them. I thought ENY came later.

My recollection is a bit fuzzy too.  Wasn't ENY the method for determining the perk value of planes relative to one another (i.e. how many perks you got for killing a Spit I in a P-51 versus killing a P-51 in a Spit I)?  And thus the introduction of perk points and ENY coincided.

We're getting into some ancient history now.  :)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
Did it really makes things more diverse or did it just level the playing field more?

It made it more diverse.  Those players got out of F4U-1Cs and flew other planes.  They didn't all hop into the same plane, since there was no longer any overpowering plane in the set.  Hence, diversity.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
My recollection is a bit fuzzy too.  Wasn't ENY the method for determining the perk value of planes relative to one another (i.e. how many perks you got for killing a Spit I in a P-51 versus killing a P-51 in a Spit I)?  And thus the introduction of perk points and ENY coincided.

We're getting into some ancient history now.  :)

I always forget that ENY plays into how perk points themselves are awarded. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Is the imbalance due to people switching sides for perks they're never going to receive, or is it a function of people on the losing sides logging out?

Sometimes it's the result of people just wanting to get the war over with and the map changed.

Also, if everyone's switching to the "winning" side due to some erroneous belief that they'll gain perks for it, then one hour side switching won't really change a thing.

It would allow them to switch back once the war is over so the imbalance doesn't linger all night.

Perhaps a better option would be this: if a war is won, everyone's time remaining before they can change sides is reset to zero. A new map is a clean slate as far as what side anyone wants to fight for.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 08:38:14 AM »
Is the imbalance due to people switching sides for perks they're never going to receive, or is it a function of people on the losing sides logging out?

Also, if everyone's switching to the "winning" side due to some erroneous belief that they'll gain perks for it, then one hour side switching won't really change a thing.

I know that for me, the status of the "war" is the last thing on my list to worry about.  The only important thing about the "war" fopr me is if it is active and precipitating some good action. 

My opinion of hordes is as follows: I would rather fight 20 red things to avoid getting killed than to fight 20 green things to get a kill.

The ability to switch to the  low numbers side, yet switch back to fly with my squaddies if they happened to log on within an hour or less was nice.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.