Author Topic: P51 crashes at Reno Air Races  (Read 6362 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Re: P51 crashes at Reno Air Races
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
You can get hurt doing anything, can't you? Sad. Looked like he was going straight down without pulling up at all...?

That was the vantage point of that particular video.  It didn't catch the pull up.  They have video on the opposite end where the P-51 zooms up.  Eyewitness reports from the races talked about how Galloping Ghost appeared to wobble in the air before he pulled it up.  Other eyewitnesses reported the P-51 going up very steeply then tumbling out of control and then coming down inverted into the crowd.

A horrific crash indeed. :(
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
Sent chills down my body watching it hit.  :pray :salute :(

Glad we're in cartoon planes, huh? me too  :pray  :angel:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
That was the vantage point of that particular video.  It didn't catch the pull up.  They have video on the opposite end where the P-51 zooms up.  Eyewitness reports from the races talked about how Galloping Ghost appeared to wobble in the air before he pulled it up.  Other eyewitnesses reported the P-51 going up very steeply then tumbling out of control and then coming down inverted into the crowd.

A horrific crash indeed. :(
What I saw was not inverted or tumbling, but nose first and straight in...? I wasn't there? who knows...
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
Full throttle, nose down from what I have read.In any case very sad though.  :(
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
That is sad indeed. You go to see great family fun, and it ends up turning into death and chaos...

:pray to the victims, killed or injuried.
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
Wow, condolences to all those involved  :(. I wonder if it was mechanical or pilot error though? I've heard reports that he possibly blacked out in a stunt but also reports that he made a mayday call which would make me think it was mechanical.  :salute
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »
Wow, condolences to all those involved  :(. I wonder if it was mechanical or pilot error though? I've heard reports that he possibly blacked out in a stunt but also reports that he made a mayday call which would make me think it was mechanical.  :salute

He may have blacked out but not from a stunt, he was racing, and Reno racers don't do stunts, it's like NASCAR in the air, they fly left hand circles as fast as they can.  

Photos taken just before impact reveal that an elevator trim tab separated, which at 400+ kias could very well cause a violent high-G pitch up as the elevator deflects so fast the pilot could not react in time, or was may have been physically unable to overcome, which could have led to him blacking out.  Also in another frame no helmet is visible through the canopy, which would support that idea.

All pure speculation of course.  I'll wait for the NTSB report, but that tab separating definitely had something to do with it, whether as a cause or effect, probably it's some of both. 

A very, very sad day indeed.  Crappy weekend for aviation all around, yesterday an RV-6 went down in a school parking lot near here killing the pilot.    I almost went to Reno this year but couldn't work it out, kinda glad I missed this year now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:08:28 AM by saggs »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 01:20:56 AM »
Thoughts and prayers to those who are affected by this incident. Hope all is well. :angel:
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 01:37:47 AM »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 02:45:26 AM »
http://www.livestream.com/loadedtv/video?clipId=pla_b2efcd7d-ed04-4edf-89e8-f21ff436ccb4

go to 39 minute marker.  Cant be certain but it looks like the aircraft impacted right in a group of seating.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:47:36 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
full throttle? he must have been unconcious

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
He was and old guy, maybe he had a natural causes problem midflight. Tragic.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 07:35:57 AM »
News clips included a pre-race interview with the pilot, who is purported to be 74. He looked 20 years younger and in top physical shape.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:42:03 AM by Max »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
News clips included a pre-race interview with the pilot, who is purported to be 74. He looked 20 years younger and in top physical shape.

I just saw this on the news this morning.  Yep, he was 74 and had been flying since he was 14.
I'm speechless.

:pray for all.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »
On one of the videos out there, you can hear the doppler effect of the engine screaming in and then a horrific THUD. Still gives me chills. <S> and RIP.. :angel:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.