Author Topic: CAC Boomerang request thread #1 of 1000  (Read 43542 times)

Offline AirLynx

• Copper Member
Re: CAC Boomerang request thread #1 of 1000
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
From Australia's performance testing of the Boomerang:
Performance in level speed:
Sea level - 260mph
5000ft   - 280mph
10000ft - 295mph
15000ft - 295mph
20000ft - 300mph
25000ft - 285mph
30000ft - 260mph
Wow, that's slow!

Based on what I've seen here, I think I'd rather fly a Brewster.

The Boomerang sure does look cool though.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
Yah Fish,  recent photo's mate?

I wonder if that is how they dispensed the smoke in RL? I cant find any references to how it was down, I presumed it was smoke markers like the Storch has.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:33 AM »
That not how they maked, they carried small smoke bombs on the central hardpoint for that.

http://www.gunsofmuschu.com/boomerang.html

Featuring in one segment in "The Guns of Muschu" the CAC Boomerang gave valuable service to the Australian campaign in New Guinea. 

Opening the throttle, speed built quickly and soon passed three hundred knots. Altimeter unwinding, Martin aimed at the western end of the island. At a thousand feet, he began pulling back on the stick. He felt the G forces coming on as he leveled from the dive one hundred feet above the trees. At over three hundred knots he streaked along the middle of the island, engine howling and supercharger whistling. Flashing over the hills at the eastern end, he hauled back the stick and climbed vertically. He snap rolled the little aircraft, counted one, two, three clockwise rotations, paused, then reversed it. One, two, three.

Passing three thousand feet, he flipped inverted, pulled through, tucked back down into another dive, this time at half throttle. Again he howled low over the trees, then allowing speed to wash off, began a wide circuit out over the southern coast.

Martin was thoroughly enjoying himself. For an aircraft someone once described as being built from spare parts, baling wire and Golden Syrup tins, the Boomerang was a bloody marvel. It might not be the world’s greatest fighter, but it was maneuverable, strong and very, very noisy. By now every Jap on the island would be aware that he was around...

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
Thanks Fish
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
http://www.dropbears.com/f/felix_noble/boomerang.htm

The next problem was the cannon. A source was not found in the country, and there did not seem to be a firm that was able to manufacture a weapon in time without a sample. Fortunately an RAAF sergeant who had served in the middle east had brought an Hispano cannon home as a souvenir, and offered it as a pattern. Then it was discovered that we had no source of 20 mm ammunition. This was solved by deciding that the first of the new fighters would be armed with rifle calibre machine guns while the production of cannon and ammunition got under way.

Four and five squadrons had the most notable success with the type. Its excellent manoeuvrability and rate of climb, combined with its unequalled pilot protection made it the perfect machine for army co-operation. With dazzling ability at low level, four and five squadron "Boomer boys" and their Wirraway counterparts became the bane of Japanese patrols. In radio contact with ground forces it was possible for a Boomerang with its engine throttled back to sneak up on the enemy, strafe them and disappear without the enemy having time to take a bead on them.

If the opposing forces were very close, not uncommon in New Guinea, the pilots would get close enough to identify uniforms before opening fire. If a ground force radio was out, a wire with a message attached to it would be strung between two trees, and the Boomer pilot would retrieve it with a hook. In one instance a detachment was under heavy fire from a tree top sniper nest. A Boomerang was seen nearby, and one digger put his slouch hat onto the end of his Owen gun and waved it over his head. The pilot noticed this, appraised the situation and obligingly cut the top of the tree off with his cannon.

Another role in which these nimble aircraft excelled was artillery spotting. After a recce they would inform the local artillery battery of the target and then fly around it as the bombardment came in, and direct the fire until the target was destroyed. If the target was out of range of the artillery, an RNZAF Corsair squadron would be led to the spot, and the Boomerang pilot would mark the target for them with a smoke bomb. In this way, to the Kiwis the Boomer boys became known as "Smokey Joes". Indeed 20 Sqn. RNZAF attributed the most effective strikes of their tour to Smokey Joes leading them to targets. Even the local American fighter squadrons liked the Boomerang, though for different reasons. The artillery missions were so annoying to the Japanese that they would always send fighters to intercept them, giving the P38 jockeys plenty of trade!

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
Golden Syrup  :aok

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2012, 08:09:20 AM »
Haven't seen the Boomerang on the AH home page yet.  You guys need to get it in gear or no case of Cragganmore.  :bolt:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
Haven't seen the Boomerang on the AH home page yet.  You guys need to get it in gear or no case of Cragganmore.  :bolt:
Take a Spitfire Mk V and limit the throttle to 75% or so.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
Take a Spitfire Mk V and limit the throttle to 75% or so.  :p

The Spit V is a mean machine but rather delicate compared to the Boomerang (at least by it's reputation).  If I'm going to get BnZ-ed all day, I would rather have the plane that is slow and can take some punishment. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
The Spit V is a mean machine but rather delicate compared to the Boomerang (at least by it's reputation).  If I'm going to get BnZ-ed all day, I would rather have the plane that is slow and can take some punishment. 

Yeah, I know.  It was a joke based on them having the same armament.  I've also jokingly razzed the pro-Beaufighter guys the same way by telling them to take a Mossie and fly it on 75% power.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28:54 PM »
Seeing as we have smoke bombs in AH2 now.....

We can give this plane life. Class it as an observer (Don't Enable it at GV Bases) and give it GV sight ability.

The Boomerang would be an armed Recon Aircraft....

It wouldn't just see use... it would see EXCESSIVE use.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:41 AM »
Where is that from Lyric? Nice to see.
Raw Prawns