Author Topic: Meat  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Meat
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
inhumane commercial farming practices aside, the pig is very happy lying in the mud, especially when it's hot. it may not be your standards for living but it is the pig's.

This is what I'm against.  If the pig is enjoying himself, then I see no problem.

-Penguin

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2011, 01:07:15 PM »
so vote with your $ and use the true democratic right to put coin where you want it to be...and you too can be happy as a pig in sh...
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
I can't at the moment, but I'll buy free-range when I grow up.

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
This is what I'm against.  If the pig is enjoying himself, then I see no problem.

-Penguin
i'm pretty sure most people don't like the practices of commercial farming but, who wants to pay $10/lb for hamburger. the problem is monetary, look it up. there is no money to be made in livestock with the increasing costs of owning land and getting the livestock to market.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Ah the sad facts of life.  This is why lab-grown meat is perfect.  The trouble is keeping the bioreactors clean and preventing anti-biotic resistant bacteria from forming from doing the former.

-Penguin

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Veal the other other white meat.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
Ah the sad facts of life.  This is why lab-grown meat is perfect.  The trouble is keeping the bioreactors clean and preventing anti-biotic resistant bacteria from forming from doing the former.

The only real problem is population. Our population is too high for a natural cycle of life anymore. And while we are on the subject of slaughter, why don't you feel bad that anti-biotics kill off millions of life forms for the sake of your 'life-friendly' meat? The further we get from the hunter gatherer lifestyle the worse things get for all life in general. We think we are making our lives better, more convinient, but infact we are simply moving our spieces closer to our very own mass extinction event, or, we may infact just be moving ourselves towards the next leap in evolution, leaving homosapiens behind, which in essance is still a mass extinction event for homosapiens.
 Whatever the case, existence is a cyclic construction and deconstruction of matter for the purpose of transfering energy from one place to another. Eating each other is a pretty good way to accomplish that on a day to day basis.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
Huh, I never thought about it that way.  I don't think we're heading toward mass-extinction, though, and it'll take millions of years before a new hominid could emerge.  Don't be so negative- Oog and Boog didn't invent fire by giving up!

-Penguin

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
Ah the sad facts of life.  This is why lab-grown meat is perfect.  The trouble is keeping the bioreactors clean and preventing anti-biotic resistant bacteria from forming from doing the former.

-Penguin
:headscratch:  you been watching too many sci fi movies. do more research, not on wikipedia either. the more humans tamper with food the less actual nutrition that food delivers. unless you really think you would be happy with 3 servings of some cream of wheat looking stuff that has the nutritional value of ensure, get that artifical lab grown mess out of your head.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »
Huh, I never thought about it that way.  I don't think we're heading toward mass-extinction, though, and it'll take millions of years before a new hominid could emerge.  Don't be so negative- Oog and Boog didn't invent fire by giving up!

-Penguin

I said moving towads it, not expecting it tomorrow all due to synthetic meats. Negative? So one minute you are a logical debater then the next you're a hippy? Oog and Boog didn't invent fire. Fire existed long before humans. They discovered it and learnt to harness it. Just like they learnt to kill something tasty for dinner. That would be making you the quiter, not Oog and Boog. I'm sure they would be very displeased to see you disregarding one of the things they worked hard at working out.
 We might just as well give up harnessing fire as give up killing tasty animals for food.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2011, 02:25:04 PM »
Penguin you seriously need to get laid and it will put an end to these threads.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Penguin don't ever feel bad for the pig, they are a nuisance animal in Texas.  They do 17,000,000 in damamges to farms and ranches every year.  They have no natural predators, and breed like roaches.  They have over populated the south and are costing farmers and ranches millions every year.  Texas actually passed a law that you can hunt them from helicopters.  The only way to stop this is to kill them.  A standard domesticated pig will revert to ferrel in less than 7 days if left on it's own accord, in the wild.  That is faster than any other domesticated animal.  Texas spends millions of dollars every year in erradication of ferrel hogs and sows.
  Also there is no way that left to standard breeding that any herd of cattle could keep up with the consumtion of good hearted meat eaters.  Simple fix for you, if you don't want to eat beef, don't, if you feel sorry for the poor fish ripped from his habitat in the water, don't eat it.  If you feel sorry for the pig that has torn up thousands of miles of fence, and farm don't eat it, but do not stand to tell me and mine, or the other meat eaters, that it is wrong for us to eat an animal that was put on this earth for us to eat.  If you just have a thing about beef move to India where it is illegal to eat beef cau it is their dead ancestors.
On a side note I do agree with Vulcan
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »
Veal the other other white meat.
oh gawd don't get the bird boi started on that.  :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »

I said moving towads it, not expecting it tomorrow all due to synthetic meats. Negative? So one minute you are a logical debater then the next you're a hippy? Oog and Boog didn't invent fire. Fire existed long before humans. They discovered it and learnt to harness it. Just like they learnt to kill something tasty for dinner. That would be making you the quiter, not Oog and Boog. I'm sure they would be very displeased to see you disregarding one of the things they worked hard at working out.
 We might just as well give up harnessing fire as give up killing tasty animals for food.

Oops! I used the wrong word.  I should have said "harness", not "invent".  My bad.  Hippy?  I don't see what hippies have to do with optimism.  There were a bunch at the train station doing a PETA demonstration, and I saw a pretty standard distribution of outlooks on life amongst them.  I see a strawman.  I just want humane farming practices, not a return to anarchy and the A.E.T.P. (Animals for the Eating of Tasty People).

Penguin don't ever feel bad for the pig, they are a nuisance animal in Texas.  They do 17,000,000 in damamges to farms and ranches every year.  They have no natural predators, and breed like roaches.  They have over populated the south and are costing farmers and ranches millions every year.  Texas actually passed a law that you can hunt them from helicopters.  The only way to stop this is to kill them.  A standard domesticated pig will revert to ferrel in less than 7 days if left on it's own accord, in the wild.  That is faster than any other domesticated animal.  Texas spends millions of dollars every year in erradication of ferrel hogs and sows.
  Also there is no way that left to standard breeding that any herd of cattle could keep up with the consumtion of good hearted meat eaters.  Simple fix for you, if you don't want to eat beef, don't, if you feel sorry for the poor fish ripped from his habitat in the water, don't eat it.  If you feel sorry for the pig that has torn up thousands of miles of fence, and farm don't eat it, but do not stand to tell me and mine, or the other meat eaters, that it is wrong for us to eat an animal that was put on this earth for us to eat.  If you just have a thing about beef move to India where it is illegal to eat beef cau it is their dead ancestors.
On a side note I do agree with Vulcan

First, I don't think that anyone/anything "put" pigs here, but that's another matter for another time.  In addition, are you sure that much of our pork is coming from the killing of wild pigs? (which I agree with, the animals started the fight, and we'll finish it).  Again, it's not that I favor not raising the animals for their meat, it's that I'm in favor for their ethical treatment while we do so.

@Bear Picture:  :rofl

-Penguin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:16:43 PM by Penguin »