Author Topic: sound issue outside of game  (Read 300 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
sound issue outside of game
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
I was watching Psyche online when I started noticing a bit of a soft static or soft popping sound. It became annoying after a while. After the episode I did some research. One suggestion was that it was a virus. My issue didn't exactly match the description but what the heck let's give it a try.

So I ran ad-aware and found 91 items and deleted them. Still the sound issue was remained. Afterwards I ran my AV and found one virus. Which it automatically deleted. That didn't cure the problem either. Soon after I did a "restart" and yet the issue remained.

I thought that maybe there were temporary files stored from watching Psyche and did a disk cleanup. No good, problem remained. Well I didn't want to but I started searching for realtek drivers. But before I did that I thought let's shut the system down to install the MS updates. When I turned the computer on the problem was gone. Go figure.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: sound issue outside of game
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
How old is your PSU?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:51 PM »
3 years old.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
It might be coincidence but that (audio anomaly) is one of the first signs of a PSU that is out of spec. The next indication will be random data loss on a hard drive. Finally one or more components will fail if not the PSU itself.

If you are running at above 75% of rated capacity you might consider replacing it with one more appropriate or at least have it checked out.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.